BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about €8,000 but I'm almost certain you could buy at least one maybe two of these bikes for that haha
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I know :lol3
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  3. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched to the uni foam filter cause my long trip, I didn't want to pack paper spares or deal with locating them in south america. Finally after 6 years of use the unifilter foam started falling apart this weekend when washing it. I think I got my moneys worth. But now I'm curious how the stock does. It's been so long I can't remember. @Snake Oiler what pre-filter are you using?

Also while I'm here if anyone has a hypershock shock they want to part with I'm looking.
    ArcticRider likes this.
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I removed the top cover and made up a bracket that bolts in place which holds a plain 1/2"filter foam over the stock paper filter. I can't seem to find the pictures of the setup. But it's on the thread I believe. There's also a few other ideas from inmates that seems to be as good or better than my deal. I search more and see if I can find them
    Stromius, gnarlynate24 and advFord like this.
  5. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    One of the other better ideas is on page 846
    advFord likes this.
  6. k1322

k1322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I seem unable to locate any aftermarket coolant hoses kit for the G650X. Am I really doomed to BMW spare part prices, unless making my own?
  7. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my forgetfulness I've lost two of the PT screws for the intake box. BMW cost is $7 each. Haven't found them at any local auto or hardware. Anyone know where to find M5x20 PT Screw (#8 on diagram, though it's not a hex head bolt irl). Part # 13717696942 I hesitate to just throw in any similarly sized screw. But if anyone has done it and it's all good let me know.

[​IMG]
  8. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Just use any similar bolt, allen key head, screw head or 6 sided, doesn't matter anyway.
    Meriden and advFord like this.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Go to the car scrapyard and cut of anything you think will fit if you need some. It's not like the hoses deteriorate anyway ?

I did change all the clamps on our bikes as the stock ones lose pressure when the hoses get older and get fully compressed.
    Never had any problems with leaks so far after changing them.
    Snake Oiler and advFord like this.
  10. Delta61

Delta61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run the paper filters with a pre filter i made from a lawn mower pre filter. The pics are on page 479. I like it and have ran it in some pretty dusty areas with no problems. Cheap and effective
  11. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UNI website: Unifilter uses open cell, polyurethane foam to achieve the high level of efficiency required by today’s high quality engineered engines.

Wayne,
    Here is a bit more on the properties of the UNI that support what you were saying:

"Filter foam is a reticulated polyurethane foam, specially adapted to air and liquid filtration, in a range of controlled cells from 10 pores per inch to 100 PPI. Filter foam, with a medium porosity 45 PPI works as a depth loading filter, opposed to a surface loading filter, trapping dust particles within its cell structure. Because the reticulation process leaves behind the skeletal structure of the foam it is 97% void volume giving it a high degree of surface area for impingement of dust particles. With its homogeneous and uniform cell structure, a reticulated foam filter can be engineered for pressure drop and filtering efficiency by changing its pore size. A coarse porosity, 10 PPI, reticulated foam is effective as a sound attenuator, scrubber pad, washable filtration media for air conditioners, furnaces, small engines and automobile air cleaners, plus many other applications."
    https://www.ufpt.com/materials/foam/reticulated-polyurethane-foam.html

Paper (cellulose) are top loading filters which means they trap the debris on the surface and this "debris mat" then further improves the filters ability to capture smaller particles.

I like the idea that SnakeOiler mentioned of using a high-quality paper filter with an oiled foam pre-filter. I do not race. I do not want to have to mess with cleaning and oiling an air filter frequently or carrying a big can of foam oil so I like this advantage with paper. If I ever take a big trip then I would pack 3-4 pre-filters already lubed in a sandwich bag. They would take up almost no room or extra weight and then every so often I would toss out the pre-filter and fit one of these new ones. For example, when it got too dry or too dirty. There is no reason the paper filter would not last 10,000-miles.
  12. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    I searched a couple years ago and found some silicone hoses for the F650GS (link below) but they required some cutting to modify for our G650X and I decided against the $80-$100 price. They were blue so may have looked cool but I finally stayed with the BMW brand and I changed the hoseclamps as Dutchgit recommended. In fact, I think the factory clamps were crimped (non-adjustable) and so I replaced with worm-gear type so I could service them afield. Make sure you get Stainless Steel.

https://www.as3performance.co.uk/bm...igh-performance-silicone-radiator-hoses-blue/

Attached Files:

Dutchgit likes this.
  13. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a good place to buy new or used blinkers. Shippers broke my front one on the way out.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    On the issue of hoses. I recall a while back someone used pieces and spliced them together with copper. That way in a failure they could just replace a section with anything you could find easier at a auto parts store
    Dutchgit likes this.
  15. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the dusty environment here in Oz paper filters are just not suitable even for touring machines, at one point Yamaha had a contract with Unifilter so all Yamaha dirt bikes were fitted with Unifilter. On the GS when I first bought it & was waiting for the Unifilter I ran around one of our arid areas for a few kms, with a wet trip out there, when I went to fit the Uni & opened up the airbox there was a brown sludge of oil/dust/water inside the airbox, a 1/2 cup in total, it showed how poor the paper filter really was & the way the GS Snorkel design funnels water to the air filter which the foam/oil filter keeps out along with an external drain hole

The difference between the GS & the X though is that the GS Unifilter is an inverted sock held open with a spring so the GS gets a massive increase in surface area of the filter & hence much improved flow rate. Fit a better pipe, the Unifilter, reset/rebuild adaptions after fitting them & you have an improvement in engine response. The first Uni lasted 8 years & I am on the second

The challenge with the X would be how to achieve that improvement in filter surface area

On the K & R Series bikes Unifilter developed a 2 stage filter built into the BMW frame so the outer stage was oiled & easy to remove out on the road which worked very well. Looking at how they go about filter design with heir engineers is interesting. You can purchase direct from them from their web site, they ship world wide
    ArcticRider likes this.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Ummm.....I don't necessarily disagree.
    What I have heard people doing is carry 1 spare soaked pre-filter (or oiled main filter) and replace, then wash and re-soak when convenient.
    The risk of a paper filter is that it gets wet and thus clogs and/ or rips. So do you carry a spare paper filter as well if using pre-filters? There are many variables here andI'd say it all depends on where you travel since you can mostly source anything without a couple of days in the western world.

But picturing 3-4 pre-filters, soaked in oil, and packed in a zip lock baggie I'm thinking the following (leaving just stock paper filter out of the discussion)

upload_2019-9-11_9-32-15.png
    ArcticRider likes this.
  17. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    WayneC,
    Its easy for me to forget the kind of crud you guys experience when I spent the last 3 months riding thru the splendid mountains of CO in very hospitable conditions...Lol

Gravel Seeker,
    I like spreadsheets :D

I have never experienced saturated air filters. I ride alot in rain forestsand rainy seasons and river crossings in Central America but never had that trouble. But I don’t race and I usually am alone so I choose my crossings carefully. The MAHLE cellulose is impregnated with a chemical that helps it keep its shape. Looking at it, it appears to be somewhat hydrophobic. Its hard for me to imagine a wetter environment than Costa Rica although I am sure others have worse experiences.

True on the dishwashing liquid. I should not have said sandwich bags. Yes those are flimsy little plastic that I don’t even trust my PB&J in....Haha.

I think much of this just comes down to my simple riding style. I like to putter along and watch the countryside with a cup of coffee in one hand whenever possible.

Environmental is not even on my list of concerns. If it were then I would probably not be able to justify 90% of my western lifestyle. Sadly.
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  18. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The uni filter for the X is an inverted sock with a spring in it as well. Huge improvement in surface area.
  19. ArcticRider

Oddometer:
    Until it gets a puncture during cleaning, oiling dis/assembly or getting knocked off the workbench (and I would say this risk is atleast equally as great as the cellulose filter getting wet).

There are some very mechanically minded guys on here and Wyo is no doubt one of them so my assumption is you are factoring in the pleats of the paper element when determining surface area and factoring in the max CFM that our stock 650s can utilize at WOT. I am thinking of modifying my housing to accept the same size paper filter from my diesel truck because it has much bigger surface area...

Does anyone see any problem with the equation the Max CFM calculator uses on the below website?
    https://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/CFM.html
  20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was unaware Unifilter designed the X filter as per the GS, my memory was of a flat filter, that should provide good flow rate, certainly a step up from a paper filter