BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the GS the water ingress into the snorkel is bad & there was also a recall on the GS OEM paper filter due to collapse & failure to seal

Using the Unifilter & the US made K&P Stainless Steel washable oil filter I have no reliance on BMW consumables for servicing
  2. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:

Look at the air flow graph ( middle on the right)
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Why do people insist on mounting the spring in the Unifilter anyway ? It makes it more prone to damage fitting it/taking it out for cleaning the filter.
    The Twin Air filter is also of the inverted sock type and does not use a spring. It doesn't need one as it (and the Uni one) is not prone to collapse.
  4. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I regret asking about the uni filter
    Powershouse likes this.
  5. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    :photog:lol3
  6. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    If they've (UNI) put in the R&D and concluded the spring is the best solution....I'm not saying (general) you're arrogant if you don't use it, but the performance numbers of the UNI filter might not be applicable anymore.
  7. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I should add that my experience comes from the GS, so I tend to picture my own air box, filter and snorkel when thinking of air filters and not particularly familiar with the x airbox.

I use a K&N myself. Bought it in 2005. Had some dust on the inside of the air box a few times, so don't think it's a very good filter, but it up'd the torque of the engine....well...that might've been the Staintune exhaust too as I did both those mods at the same time before doing a DYNO run. Using the foam block in it now and hope that helps a little.
    The UNI filters were just too expensive for me taking shipping into account even when @Aquatic had stocked a small fortune worth.

upload_2019-9-12_9-58-14.png
  8. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time

That seems like a good choice in my book.
  9. Sugra

Sugra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    eBay. If you search for X Challenge parts you're not going to get many returns. The set I bought were listed for a 2016 F800/F800R. The stalks are slightly shorter than the originals but otherwise identical. Paid $45 for the pair.
    DoubleM likes this.
  10. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8DF92E95-9C6C-4987-9D62-14B9FF264F37.jpeg 58FCEBBE-BA8E-46B2-90AF-29F18C0A1B64.jpeg I’m one of the few odd balls that has the stock air shock. The pump is leaking air from the gauge. I can remove the gauge from the pump and it works fine. Is there an o ring or a seal that is missing?
  11. Kiharaikido

Kiharaikido Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You did your entire trip on the original air shock? I missed that on your ride report.

12. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The choice was easy.. replace the shock or spend an extra month traveling in south america. Plus I've never ridden anything else so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'm now in the market for a used replacement. Hyperpro or other. But would also like to get this gauge working again in the short term.
  13. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    It looks like there should be an o-ring in there.
    advFord likes this.
  14. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I would recommend anything but hyperpro with this point is I have blown mine up three times in the last 9 months of travelling. however I do think it would be an improvement over the air shock
    advFord likes this.
  15. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are the same pump as a MTB shock pump. So if you cant fix it replacement is easy.
    jonnyc21, advFord and gnarlynate24 like this.
  16. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I might have one still. I’ll look this weekend
  17. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked mine this morning. You are missing a oring.
    advFord likes this.
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Yes missing an o-ring, here should be a small one in there that the gauge side presses against when you tighten it.
    advFord likes this.
  19. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to point out to the group, I recognize your name... Andrew is one of the original group posters on the XCountry thread, going back to when he purchased that bike in August 2008 !!! Too bad the pictures in your old posts are dead now... Andrew I remember reading your posts of the skid plate you were making, the first one I saw anyone make, (long before Scheffelmeier gave us choices). And your videos of jumping the bike over little berms really got me going until I ended up buying mine in March 2010 (but it took me 2 shocks later until I found one that could actually be jumped!).

Anyhow, I respect your history and wisdom on the X and welcome back. Mine is totaled and still sitting under a tarp on a trailer in my yard, but like I've said I will still keep my website up, though I will not be owning the X again, more than likely. So everybody respect your X "elders", and Andrew is one of them!
  20. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, dont see any advice on rear brake pedal replacements. Anybody?