BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. These bikes are really a hidden gem that if they came out 6-8 years later would have sold bucket loads. I didn't see myself getting one again until this xmoto dropped in my lap. Fantastic machine.

And I just turned 34.....so compared to my early posts....I do feel like an elder. :lol3

Can't wait to get home to my bike and get the forks back together. :ricky
    Dutchgit and Snake Oiler like this.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Search the G650X threads, there are several discussions. Touratech made them for a little while, but after that, nobody makes a drop in replacement.
  3. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ps there's a used one available on ebay for $7
    MolonLabe likes this.
  4. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    waylongway likes this.
  5. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tripling the size of the thing is an improvement ?
  6. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The operative word was "may". I was looking for solutions, which is why I asked. Thanks for the help.
  7. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey sorry ! Solutions are easier found when the problem is explained ..
  8. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I explained it. You missed the explanation. I am looking for a replacement rear brake pedal attachment thingy.
  9. underontop

underontop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so what's the problem with the present one ? Broken ? Too short ? Missing ? I have trouble imagining how a brake pedal can be improved is all.
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just stopped by to say hey all. Even though I didn't bring the X Challenge to the desert this winter. She's still in the family, my son is taking care of her and doing some maintenance while enjoying her back in northern Pennsylvania. I told him to ask myself and if he could to check out the thread. He's not a member as of yet as far as I know. But I'm sure you folks will lead him in the right direction.
    CoatsEast and advFord like this.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    You're in the desert already ?
    I'm heading south to the Canaries on Sunday. No bike nor 4WD until spring :( But they have something else there we don't have here :jkam
    Looked into renting a Wrangler last year, but it was just stupid expensive.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    That's right. It's a little warm yet but with the Adventure with Capeman in the Grand Canyon I thought it would be a good idea to get use to the heat and Western States before heading out for over a weak.
    waylongway and Gravel Seeker like this.
  13. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    33EB9842-2FDD-419C-BABF-E3B46567AA84.jpeg I’ll I love it when fixes are only 25 cents.

Grabbed a tiny 1.5mm o ring and the pump for the air shock works again without leaking from the gauge. Thanks for the tips!

Btw the pump is a Giyo GS-41
  14. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Better bring some long-johns too! We'll be riding at and above 8000 ft on the north rim - saw frost on my saddle 2 years ago, same place, same time!
    waylongway likes this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Oh I'll definitely have my base layer with me. Probably my normal gear minus the shelter:muutt I try to be prepared for spending the night if needed. I simply can't walk much to get out of my way:yikes
  16. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've picked up a 2008 XC with 20000 miles and I'm planning to rebuild over the winter. The bike is not in good shape so going to change consumables (oils, filters, bearings where possible), do the clutch cover fix, and generally spruce the bike up.

The current forks require the fork seals replacing and I'm debating doing one of the various fork mods - Hyperpro springs, WP swap or the Marzocchi swap.

Problem is, I'm having difficulty identifying suitable forks in Europe (entirely through my lack of education....).

The WP 43 sounds like the easiest route. Find 54/57 WP 43 forks, get the caliper bracket and modify the axel opening by 1mm or so (as I believe the axle is 25mm? I'll measure at the weekend). I did spot these forks but one of the axel openings seems to be 20mm so that's out unless I benchdrill the opening to size.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264287358335
    There's these ones and although stated measure 54/57 they seem to be WP48's and anywhere that I've seen a WP48 mod done, new triple clamps were required (can I even keep the original front wheel if I go with WP48's and triple calmps?)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133020555983

On the Marzocchi route, I spotted these Shivers but no idea of sizing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254215409256
    There's also these ones which look a little rough for the money
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163643274163

The cheapest option is to just change the springs and doing the seals at the same time and may very well do that to see how the bike feels.

Any guidance appreciated....
  17. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, can someone outline the height differences between the XChallenge and XCountry suspension setups?

Are the forks physically longer on the XChallenge and the same for the rear shock? For instance, if I put an aftermarket rear shock from an XChallenge on an XCountry, would the seat height increase and but how much?
  18. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to do the Marzocchi swap, you can keep your stock BMW fixed and sliding tubes and just change out the internal cartridges - from the cheap and non-adjustable BMW ones to the Zoke's Shiver carts. This will allow you to keep your stock brakes and wheel (yeah!) but if you do this, you'll also need to machine out the base of the axle clamps to fit the Shiver compression valves (boo!)
    Snake Oiler and Essjay like this.
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I did the WP route. Very happy with the results I might say. I found NOS tubes on eBay for$300 shipped. Then I had a guy machine the right leg to fit the stock axle. Plus he shaved an 1/8" off the outside of the left so the nut got full engagement. The brake bracket is cheap but then you'll also need two spacers made to shim the caliper to center on the rotor. I've come to the conclusion that the spacers and different bike to bike (wheel to wheel probably)..225" I believe I had mine made to.
    Essjay likes this.
  20. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds positive. What size axle holes were there in the WP fork legs? I presume they were just drilled out?

Also, what size is the axle on the G650Xc? I just checked my XChallenge and one side is 25mm but difficult to determine the other without taking the wheel off. The thread for the nut seems to be 19mm.