BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Fresh fork rebuild & adjusted my steering stem (too tight, causing notchy feeling). Bike is 100x better. No more excess dive on braking and the bike will actually make line changes mid-turn. Now I just need some new tires, cause this Heidenau K60 rear tire is total garbage. Might wear like iron, but feels like my rear is on ice. :lol3
    Snake Oiler, Sparqq and advFord like this.
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Notched feel in the steering usually means it's time for new steering head bearings. Since the steering head bearings never fully rotate the rollers wear in a small area. Loosening the stem is masking the problem and not in a good way. Even a tight bearing will be smooth if it's not worn. Not a hard job to do.
    advFord and andrewgore like this.
  3. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Yah, this was a temporary hold over until I get new parts. It's officially fall today, so my riding season is rapidly closing. Gotta get all the riding in that I can. :lol3
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  4. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My XCountry has ABS. There's a brake line from the handle into a small box which I assume is something to do with the ABS (here's a photo of one on another thread - https://advrider.com/f/threads/g650x-challenge-how-to-bleed-the-front-brakes-with-abs.796605/). My brake line goes into the left banjo bolt. Coming from the right banjo bolt is some metal piping into a fat pipe (maybe 10-15mm in diameter) and then into more metal piping. The last piece of metal piping is connected to another braided brake hose and down to the caliper.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't directly connect a new brake line into the right banjo bolt and bypass all the metal piping? Is that required for anything ABS related?

Also off hand, does anyone know the banjo bolt sizes at the lever, the ABS "box" and the caliper? I want to get some new braided lines made up.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  5. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is simply a junction block for the lines. Lever to ABS unit for one line and ABS to caliper for the other. The metal piping to the rear goes to the ABS unit. IIRC, the caliper line includes some hard line to route the line around the plastic and triple clamp, no other function. Your custom line probably won't include the hard line so you'll have to figure out how to route and secure the lin but yes, you could run a flex line directly from the block to the caliper.

Banjo bolts are 10mm 10x1.0 thread, a very common size.

Btw, stock lines are steel braid reinforced so you won't gain much performance from an aftermarket replacement. If you're replacing a damaged line let me know. I've got a good used one you can have for the cost of shipping.
    gnarlynate24, Essjay and CapeMan like this.
  6. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great information, thank you! Also thanks for your offer but but planning a complete new set of lines so will buy locally.
  7. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, that's what I plan to do - even more urgently after I was stranded today. Do you remember what you used to seal around the hole you drilled?
  8. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the part numbers of the KTM caliper support bracket which is needed to swap the front forks? I think it might be from a 950 SE. I did find a part number but cost is $150 which can't be correct.
  9. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    some form of two part epoxy. it does leak when napping.
    Matt likes this.
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I'll try to remember to look it up for you
  11. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    WP forks? Single 300 disc on the left?
    I used 60113049100 on the WP 4357MXMA forks I used on my Dakar

".........With the forks on the bike and clearances sorted it was time to move on to fitting the wheel and brakes.
    First I ordered a caliper hanger from KTM so I could use the stock Brembo caliper. KTM use the same Brembo caliper on various models and on the 2004 950 they used the same WP4357 MXMA forks and the same size disc as well (300mm).

From KTM for a 2004 950
    LEFT HAND caliper hanger and mounting screws (keep in mind the 950 has two discs so you need the left side hanger only)

Qty....Part no...............Part. name
    1.......60113049100......BRAKE CALIPER SUPPORT FR. L/S
    2.......0015080353........HH COLLAR SCREW M 8X35 WS=10"

[​IMG]
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
  14. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spotted item 254363987930 on eBay (950 990 Adventure Left Caliper). Shipping to Europe expensive but might be my cheapest option.

Edit: looking at the photos, I think that's a right hand side caliper.
  15. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The caliper hangers used on the KTM WP forks are actually a Brembo part & WP were smart in that the 4860 & 4357 forks are designed to use the same caliper hanger.
  16. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New fork seals and putting everything back together. I can’t remember whether the washers for the bolts to fasten the caliper to the fork go under the head of the bolt for between the caliper in the fork. I looked at the parts diagram and shop manual but they really aren't clear. Any help would be appreciated.
    andrewgore likes this.
  17. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guessing the little rust marks are the start of a problem. Or is it flux? 20190927_170547.jpg 20190927_170604.jpg

But if you want to get rid of the ABS light, simple. Its inside a tube, just stuff a rag down on it.
  18. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I'd take a magnifying glass to check out the circuit board. I seem to remember seeing faint green traces on mine.
  19. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea. Did that and couldnt find any.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  20. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know the height differences between the rear shock on the XCountry and XChallenge? In other words, if I put an XChallenge Hyperpro or Wilbers rear shock on my XCountry, how much would it raise the saddle?