BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    That would depend on how it was built. You can have it rebuilt to suit your needs. A used shock might likely be in need of a service anyway.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  2. Nutsbolts

Nutsbolts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an xcountry with an xchallenge air shock and it puts the seat height around 90cm. Snookers x-country web page has a lot of info on changing shocks.
  3. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Well I decided to take Capeman up on his search for folks to join him on a ride of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

I arrived at his house a couple days early to meet him and he's wife. Awesome folks and couldn't find better host and combinations.

But anyhow with some free time we got out for a pre ride shake down and to take advantage of the lovely mountains around Prescott and Sedona. We had a great day of riding as you can see from the photos.

Oh and I got a lesson on tire repair. Lol

IMG_20190927_215852_690.jpg IMG_20190927_215852_709.jpg IMG_20190927_151133692.jpg IMG_20190927_150925641_HDR.jpg IMG_20190927_114450499_HDR.jpg
    Can't hardly wait to see the Grand Canyon. It's the perfect time to year so I'm told.

Peace
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have time after GC,check out the Sheep bridge on the Verde river. You should backtrack , as the way south of the bridge is not good! You will be in the Bloody Basin area and Cave creek, man I love Arizona. Four peaks, Apache trail, Superior, OK stop. cheers
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. 84ceejay

84ceejay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question. Can these bikes handle heated gear? I can't seem to find much information on this. I have gerbings jacket and gloves. Can the stock system handle them? Thanks in advance.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  6. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I run my heated grips full blast and charging my phone all the time & never had an issue... However I don't have any experience with the gloves & vest
  7. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve used a vest without any issues. You can always toggle the display to show voltage to be certain.
  8. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Heated gear takes a fair bit of juice. We use Gerbing heated gloves on our bikes but if you run them from the accessory socket (which is powered without the ignition on! ) you might find that 10 minutes of use will stop the battery being able to start your bike up (as did my wife when I was fixing a small issue on my bike)

As Waylongway suggests, a bigger stator is a good idea in that regard but you could also switch to a LED headlight(s) which use les power.
    Or switch each of the heated gear separate to an On/On switch which only lets you use which gear you at a time so you can toggle between them while riding.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  10. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What type of plug fits that socket?
  11. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    CoatsEast likes this.
  12. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I would think so.
  14. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes you can. Just make sure you have a fuse inline and use the right charger type for your battery.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  15. 84ceejay

84ceejay Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to upgrade the stator to use both at the same time.
    Dutchgit and gnarlynate24 like this.
  16. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    I use both electric heated grips and an electric vest, sometimes with additional snap-on electric sleeves. When traveling at highway speeds, I haven't had any battery problems, but puttering along a dirt technical track in first gear for an extended period did drain the battery, as I found out after stopping to answer the call. So now when the going gets really slow (or even in slow city traffic) I turn something off.
    And a life saver in the above situation, solo, in the woods, was the emergency jump starter lithium battery that I carry, bike battery already pre-wired with the corresponding plug.
  17. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my experience as well. It makes plenty of juice if the revs are up, but at idle it can't keep up. I have heated grips, GPS, aux lighting and occasionally use a heated bib (although I have swapped the headlight for LED). I have no issues while cruising, but even at stop lights you can see the battery drop to 12.0 volts. The bike's built-in voltmeter should keep you out of trouble if you pay attention. I would also think if you will likely not use the heated gear too much if you are at low revs for a prolonged time.
  18. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Old post to reply to, I know, but I went through the whole bike replacing screws so I could cut down on the number of hex, torx, sockets and wrenches I needed to carry. It's not that the wrenches are that heavy, but it is a hassle constantly changing tools when in a hurry.
    gnarlynate24 and Dutchgit like this.
  19. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is made for that as most are not up to par on gauge wise and can still be used for all other plugins....

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/etx-qcc2

[​IMG]
    CapeMan and CoatsEast like this.
  20. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I am using. I have my plug hanging just behind the right front cover beside the radiator fan. With the SAE plug attached as shown I can attach my battery charger when home. Out on the road with a flat battery, just pull the short SAE section from the blue plug and plug the blue plug directly into the lithium jumper battery. And at 5" x 3" x 3/4" the Lithium battery can easily pack anywhere.
    gnarlynate24 and waylongway like this.