BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also preparing the bike for a big trip. My X has done 50k km and never experienced any water pump failures.... I wanted to replace it as preventive maintenance. I know it's a big job.
    I was thinking of getting part #6 and part #5. Do I also need part #7 #8 #9 ? Any particular thing to keep in mind while doing the job?

[​IMG]

thanks!
  2. rlloyd

rlloyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My gas cap is getting really cranky about giving me my key back, which lead to several dicey moments on a recent road trip. Next time I'll carry a spare key in case it fails to relinquish it, but does anyone have a replacement gas cap that doesn't use a key? I have two gallons of gas in my aux tank most of the time and could care less about the risk of having my gas stolen..
  3. rlloyd

rlloyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shot of my bike on the trip as preemptive repayment for your sage gas cap advice..
    IMG_5770.jpg
    Bebbs800 and Looksgoodinblack like this.
  4. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a cap form Touratech available

Screenshot_20191008-171418_Photos.jpg
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just buy the water pump kit from BMW, it has all the parts you need.
    waylongway and Snake Oiler like this.
  6. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New dash is in. 20191009_134117.jpg
    Stromius, gnarlynate24 and CapeMan like this.
  7. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    I have a TT one. But hard to get.

Try some graphite powder in you lock. Will probably fix it.
    Cruz likes this.
  8. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Project new dash is coming along well. Its going to be kinda plug and play. Will do more information once I have it working.
  9. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I had my key break off down in Mexico because some dirt had made its way into the locking mechanism.

Luckily I had a spare key!I use some gasoline from the gas station to clean out the keyhole and then sprayed some WD40 in there for lubrication and have not had an issue in the last 5 months.
  10. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    #5 is a reusable rubber gasket, no need to replace (just clean), but I'd get a new main clutch cover gasket as it can tear when you take the cover off.
    The kit tbarstow refers to is #6. You just reuse the other parts from the old shaft.
  11. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me how long the front brake line is on the XChallenge from the junction box to the caliper? I want to put a similar line on my XCountry. Thanks.
  12. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone direct me toward the correct bleeding procedure for the bikes with ABS? I have replaced the front line on my 07 xmoto but can't get it to cooperate.
  13. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi bensgone,
    just change the brake fluid as with old bikes. Make a test-ride and brake hard, so the ABS (front and rear!) is working. This way the whole system pumps the brake fluid through. You only have to shorten the intervall, because the mixed old and new brake fluid gets old quicker.
  14. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?12364-Xc-Brake-Bleeding-(ABS)

Bleeding brake is same as a normal one, but first you bleed a little valve inside the master cylinder, then proceed with bleeding front brake. Goes pretty quick assuming no leaks\issues in your system. :thumb
  15. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the X-Ch, the line runs from the block up to a special pass-through banjo bolt on the MC and then down to the caliper. The double banjo bolt on the MC provides a mounting point for the brake line to run in a conventional dirt bike routing down the forks. There is no fluid exchange between the two lines on the MC.

You should try and get a good look at a X-Ch to see the line route so you have an idea of what's needed. I'm going by memory since I removed the abs and did custom lines on both my X-Ch and my wife's X-Country.
  16. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! I'm shipping this to my sailor stationed away and want to get all the issues resolved.
  17. Essjay

Essjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Understood. I know about the mounting point but I was going to bypass that completely. Box to caliper and maybe a cable tie to the line from MC to box.
  18. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    bensgone likes this.
  19. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    X'ers I finally figured out how to toggle the anti-lock brake system on & off! After the last 1,300 miles of OPS checking on and off the road here in Ukraine I can report back she works like a charm!

I cut the front wheel ABS sensor wire right after it enters the quick disconnect under the air box. Then wired in a kill switch on my handlebars This throws a fault code for the anti-lock brake system which causes the bikes computer to disable the ABS immediately. It shows a solid red ABS light the moment you flick the switch

You can now turn off the ABS while moving! The real reason I did this is to keep the abs off when doing a dirt day. This way you don't have to press the red button on the left side handlebar every time you start the bike. Braaap braaaaaaaaaaap 20191003_123054.jpg 20191012_154224.jpg
    Snake Oiler, bensgone, DGR and 3 others like this.
  20. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay: Most likely culprit?

Even when warm, bike has hard time starting. Gets going, but bogs occasionally. Feels like starving for fuel. Changed sparks and they look solid:

1. Fuel Filter?
    2. Fuel pump?

Is the Mahle the go-to replacement? Is the ebay fuel pump kit kosher?

Incidentally, the Airbox dumped out like a half cup of oil. Is it acting as a catch-can?
    CoatsEast likes this.