BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this filter receiver thingy supposed to just stick on? The ebay version (which says X-challenge) seems to be a bit smaller diameter. The white plastic bit receives the tank filter mesh. The problem is the bottom intake bit (outside diameter) of the fuel pump is just slightly too small, so that plastic bit (white bit on the left, attached to the old pump) just falls off the new pump (on right).

I also can't figure out the engineering purpose of those two little plastic tabish things.

Attached Files:

2. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about dremeling down that little white plastic bit ("tabish things"), to fit snug under the perpendicular (bottom of fuel pump holder) plastic bit. So it will twist under it and won't move

Attached Files:

3. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    someone brother up in this thread mentioned they put this white piece in boiling water to help the plastic bend around the part you're installing.
    MolonLabe likes this.
  4. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He was talking about the submersible hose. BTW, you'll probably need two of those. Both of my in-tank hoses had holes in them.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  5. andrewgore

andrewgore Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I was out of town all weekend. My stock pump didn't have that bottom white piece. I had other black part, which was the original filter:
    upload_2019-10-21_8-48-22.png

YOur kit should have come with a new filter, which just presses onto the boss at the base of the replacement pump. The little tabs on the bottom I'd assume are likely for molding purposes, or for other assorted models for indexing the rotation of the pump.
  6. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That "white piece" is directly under your black piece. The black piece is the original filter housing. When you take off the black bit, then you have the OEM white bit I am talking about. Alas, I get the lucky prize of "it won't mate up with the new pump". The filter itself fits perfectly onto the white plastic bit (from above pics), but the white piece itself doesn't mate up to the new pump.

At this point, I think I am simply breaking new ground. The only option I see is to make it fit, somehow, Or I just start buying all the potential pumps out there until one fits.

Thanks again!
  7. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Some great dual sport riding this weekend in the. VA / WV mountains. The X did great esp with the new Tractionator skids aired down to 15

Attached Files:

Snake Oiler and Dutchgit like this.
  9. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of putting on some new handlebars and hand guards. Mine are slightly bent and pretty sloppy at this point. Any favorites out there?
  10. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    update: I fucked off that little white plastic OEM bit that attaches the fuel strainer to the fuel pump. Then got a similar shaped fuel strainer and slapped the bitch in. Seems to be happy.
    CoatsEast, andrewgore and mbogage like this.
  11. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I use Acerbis Multiplo ones. Can't fault them and they have taken some abuse !
    Barkbusters seem a favorite too.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Yeah. Those Motoz all like the low psi.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  13. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just fitted a shinko 244. Will see how it works out.
  14. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran the 244 for season. I was unimpressed. Decent on the road or hard pack. Everything else was not great only way I can put it is unpredictable and mud was down right horrible no matter where the psi was set. Also I found the sidewalks soft and weak so the psi had to be keep up to prevent pinch flats and rim damage. Switched to motoz desert h/t rear and Michelin desert front and it was a completely different bike.
  15. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    I wen't Desert Hard compound on rear for longevity and Enduro compound on front (intermediate compound). They also have a soft compound.

The rear is very hard and definitely needed to be aired down, for the down hill and the wet rocky stuff, I would have preferred the IT
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. MolonLabe

MolonLabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  17. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will see. They are quite popular locally on KLRs etc. I put a set on my partners XT225 and it follows me everywhere.

I run Tubliss so rim damage is not to much of a concern.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't you also have to replace flywheel for stronger magnets to get 400w?
  19. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the Enduralast stator but if you use a stock F650 single stator then yes, you have to replace the flywheel and stator. easy to do with no downside except giving up a tiny amount of rear wheel horsepower. Un-noticable in my riding style on the X. I would recommend a RR upgrade at the same time as well although the stock OEM unit should be fine with a OEM stator / flywheel upgrade.
    Snake Oiler and cyclopathic like this.
  20. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    No...

ms-J9n6LY.gif
    CapeMan likes this.