BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day folks -

Well, the time has come for me to bid a fond adieu to the X Challenge thread. Not that I'm unhappy with my X Ch as I just had a fine ride across northern Arizona and southern Utah a couple of weeks ago with Snake Oiler and another rider. But as I get well into my mid 70's, arthritis has been doing a job on my hands so I reckoned I'd best bow out while I'm still smiling.

So I sold my X Ch. to another, local inmate last week - @4play - who was the fellow that first got me thinking about the X Challenge 6 years ago or so. He's an excellent rider with broad experience and a fine wrench-twiddler as well, so I expect he'll be a net positive addition to the thread in time.

I'll keep on riding as long as I can, just recently bought a Honda NC750X DCT (the one with the dual clutch "auto tranny") but will concentrate more on slab and well-groomed gravel and forest circus roads. This way, at least my left hand is just along for the ride!

Good luck to y'all.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Have fun with the Honda Capeman !
    Thanks for being part of the group and do stop by whenever you want !

Cheers, Ard

BTW, I got a a few Hondas myself but only one of them is not a bike. It's a HRX 537 ;-)
    CoatsEast, eaglescan and CapeMan like this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at part numbers and RR is sh532B-12 the same as used in F800GS/650GS and it is rated at 35A.. also stator the same as on 650GS(??) So appears flywheel is all you need?
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Sorry to see you go @CapeMan . It was a pleasure to meet you in person after our many chats. The master planner you are I found out after the ride you put together. Thanks isn't enough. Your not the best I have to give that award to Mrs Capeman. :-)

Hopefully we can get together for another visit and see the country side in your area again.

Don't be a stranger and check in once in a while to keep the youngsters in order.
  5. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never checked part numbers except for the RR when I did my conversion. I had F650GS engine that l pulled the parts from for one bike and used fleabay for parts for the second bike. I seem to recall there was a difference in appearance between the two stators (F vs X). I originally changed the stator only but did not see an increase in overall output but did see some change in performance (rpm vs voltage). The F flywheel is deeper and I'm pretty sure the stator is also to take advantage of this and get more output.

It's been a few years since I did this so my memory might be off. I also upgraded to a mosfet RR and have not had any regrets. After trying a number of LED headlight bulbs with poor results, I went back to halogen. Even running two 65 watt projector headlights I have plenty of electrical power for accessories.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Capeman for his wisdom, all the best. Now I need help, was checking the valves, within specs. so I closed it up.
    Hit the e start, won't fire up. As i was putting the Battery back in, I always have to do the NEG first because of the short POS wire,,, As I put the POS wire on the term. the dash lit up for an instant. It that normal ?
    I wonder if it affected the ECU? thanks
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Normal, it would do it too if you were able to connect the negative side last.
    eaglescan likes this.
  8. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Hey. Lost a key this way. Took apart cap and used dry lube in the mechanism. Graphite. I now do this every oil change. No issues since.
    rlloyd, cyclopathic and gnarlynate24 like this.
  9. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on ya for keeping it going as long as you can. I too suffer the same and am due for surgery on my left hand.

A DCT Africa could be on the cards if it gets much worse.

You are not allowed to leave by the way....
    waylongway, CoatsEast and Snake Oiler like this.
  10. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    My bike is fixed, I had loosened the sprocket on the intake cam, and when tightening it back up, I didn't noticed the cam had moved. It is a very short dowel it sits on. I got away this time!
    CoatsEast, Dutchgit and Gravel Seeker like this.
  11. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    You never need to loosen/take off the intake sprockets to adjust the valves.
    What is needed though is blocking the crank with a M8 pointed tip bolt. This allows you to line up the timing marks on the cams without worrying about the crank rotating.
    You do also need to push in the tensioner (or take it out which is a lot of work)
  12. eaglescan

Oddometer:
    I made a bolt to lock the crank, but pushing back the chain tension-er is the challenge. I made a wooden wedge that worked last time, but want something better for next. So you are saying , just tip the cam with sprocket on ,after the chain is backed off?
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's what I do. It's easier and I seem to remember it was described that way in one or other workshop manual years back.
    eaglescan likes this.
  14. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    word to the wise...last spring the connector to the throttle position sensor was crimped badly cause the wire out of the loom was routed wrong, i think at the factory. dealer resoldered and routed it correctly. got it home and same symptoms. more rough running-missing episodes and took it back to the dealer, both times showed no faults on my gs-911. got it home again and it barely ran, wtf? took it to another dealer and left it for 3 months while traveling, asked the tech to test drive it a bunch. pick up the bike and the problem was a loose and corroded negative terminal. duh. which i had never checked cause it's a pita to do but the first thing i always do-check the battery terminals. right. runs like a top and i feel a little dumb.
    Dutchgit, CoatsEast, Bebbs800 and 4 others like this.
  15. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the negative lead on the right side of the engine (sorta below/behind the rectifier) is loose too.
    rockydog, eaglescan and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    would a tank like this
    Annotation 2019-10-31 110110.jpg

go onto 1 of these or not
    Annotation 2019-10-31 110001.jpg

the seat would be changed also from the look of it

anyone tried or done it ???????
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    People have done it, just depends on how much money you want to spend. Many parts you may not be able to replace or find.
  18. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok thought it may have been just a seat and get the tank

thanks for that
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I'd get something (made up) like the X-tank. Why would you want a bike that's heavier on the front than it needs to be ?
    You could make a rack for the right side for a 1.75 Gallon Rotopax. Plumb that in to the vent of the main tank and there you go!
    Meriden likes this.
  20. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There would be a bit that needs changing. Those crash bars for a start.