BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hahaha

You can still get stuck with knobby tires, it's just deeper.

My bike was used for a wide variety of purposes (as it was intended). I was amazed at where I could take it off-road. At the same time, it did duty running 90+ all day on the Interstate or leading a pack of BMW sport riders on some serious curvy roads. The knobby tires worked well on the dirt but they were not good on the street.

I remember a North Carolina trip years ago. The bike was fitted with aggressive knobbies but I thought I'd forego my big bike and ride the little bike 8 hours on the Interstate anyway. With the big front sprocket, my XCo loved to cruise at 90. That was its sweet spot. Just lock the cruise control, sit back and enjoy. My first stop was about 3 hours into the trip for lunch whereupon I discovered that 9-10 of my knobs had severed from my rear tire at the carcass. That slowed me down and I went back to a dual-sport tire after that trip.

eaglescan likes this.
  2. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The SWM Superdual looks pretty interesting!
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a G650x distant cousin built on BMW era Husky factory in Varese except that instead of Rotax they used TE-630 as a base with which it shares engine, frame and swingarm. Many common odd parts with 650x like blinkies, tail light, etc.
    Dutchgit and cpallen like this.
  4. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @cyclopathic , curious to hear your opinion on this, since you mentioned the SD would be the keeper if you could only have one bike.

The SD appears to be a bit heavier on paper, but I also see a factory installed crashbar, luggage rack and dual exhaust system... I can imagine if one were to remove that, it might just end up at a similar weight as the G650X?! (And after installing all the crap on my X it's probably nowhere near that weight anyway)
    How do you experience the weight difference? Because I've come to realize that a weight on a specsheet doesn't tell the whole story.

What would you say are the strong points of each bike?
    Does the SD have torque and engine braking like the X? Asking because I missed both on the 701.
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I agree with you on that. But I'm still waiting to see how they stand up to the test against time.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    (It's a long one and it probably doesn't belong here)

It's hard for me to judge weight difference because I never had them side by side; my SD is wintering in Central Asia I will be back there in April to continue travels. On top it's a pack mule and you know how it is to compare loaded vs unloaded bike. But overall SD doesn't feel that heavy even if numbers say otherwise. I have tried CRF 250 Rally and Superdual side-by-side and they didn't feel that different.

As you guessed the Euro4 dual exhaust is heavy. The inmate here had cans on scale and IIRC it came up at 5.2kg each (OEM g650x is 5.6kg per Leo Vince). In addition exhaust heat shields are cast iron(!) when I had them off they felt in hands almost as heavy as cans. My modest weight reduction plan is to replace stock cans with Chinese akros (still x2) and boat anchor shields with heat wrap.. ~$80 total. That should make bike ~15-20lbs lighter nothing crazy like one Aussie inmate who stripped his SD down to 157kg with 14L of fuel.

Suspension is probably a wash; Superdual rear shock feels better and more travel but forks are a little harsher.. probably due to springs/preload. This is one of those bikes where stock spring rates are too high and people replacing them with softer ones so as a travel bike you don't need to respring it. Inmate reported improvement after replacing OEM Motul fork fill and I will probably do same at some point. I did play with adjusters maybe I need to soften compression by a click or two.

For me the biggest difference is in engine/transmission/clutch. Husky engine is smoother and very liniar; it's benign and easy to work with but when you nail it it pulls all the way to redline. And it feels like there's 4,000 RPM more of range when you hit redline so it is more like Terra than BMW. Better shifting transmission and hydraulic clutch.

XCo feels agricultural in comparison; I am waiting for Sol2 to see if it makes it better. Low end torque? About the same. SD mapping is tight for Euro4 so it's not bad idea to install Arrow map after break-in. If anything as a part of install it recalibrates TPS and my X-Country had issues with TPS calibration.

Superdual front brake is better; SD has latest gen ABS switchable in the back; the only time I was compelled to switch it off was on steepish loose downhill when worn stock Metzler Tourance was not getting much grip. Everywhere else it worked very well. Brake pads are identical FD209/FD208 not sure why front is better? different compound or perhaps MC.

On paper XCo seat is 2.5" lower (mine is '09) but standing over with my 29" inseam they feel about the same due to seat shape.

Riding experience? XCo feels like a bicycle and SD (T) is a half way between dualsport and supermoto.

Sitting position is very similar. SD has slightly longer wheelbase rear wheel more planted under the brakes probably due to this and less fork dive. Better weather protection from tank though 6'+ guys complain knee cutouts are smallish.

X-Country has better kickstand; one on SD is too close to center line with all implications.. finding a parking spot is a challenge. Superdual comes with bunch of equipment. Good bashplate, center stand and engine guards. Decent fog lights. Cheesy handguards and rear rack. Wide pegs with rubber inserts; I think shifter and rear brake levers identical to XCo.

I'm not impressed with SD headlight but it is still better than XCo.

Overall bikes are similar; I don't plan to get rid of any of them will just keep them in different parts of the world.

I wish I could give you comparison to X-Challenge but when I was offered a ride swap just couldn't take it of kickstand
    Dutchgit and DGR like this.
  7. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    If someone asks me what a good dual sport is I always recommend them the SD. I've never ridden one but looking at the specs and the heritage of the engine I'd not hesitate to buy one.

Having said that, I'd really like an AJP PR7 but not at that price.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  8. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point. I was just being cute! I also am back to Sahara Enduro tires, as I ride more slab now and even off road they work just fine. I also have a windscreen now ,what a difference for highway riding.
  9. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey team,
    It's been a while so I wanted to swing in. It's been about 16 months since I sold my G650x...still miss it. Upgraded (or perhaps down graded) to a F800GSA.

Anyway, I still search google news time to time to see when BMW realizes they made a mistake in getting rid of this great class of bike. I stumbled across this article (from 2018) discussing the best bikes that no one bought. At the #1 position? You guessed it, out stalwart single cylinder horse.

https://www.visordown.com/features/top-10s/top-10-bikes-no-one-bought

Ride safe, chuckleheads!

-cFogs
    Dutchgit, DGR, Snake Oiler and 3 others like this.
  10. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me spare
    Let me spare you all the pop ups and phishing sites bs:
    1: BMW G650 X series

BMW’s G650 X models – the XCountry, XChallenge and XMoto – really deserved to do better. They were something of a departure for the company, based around the familiar 650 single-cylinder engine but with much more purposeful styling and design than the strong-selling F650 machines that preceded them. BMW was also on a roll with everything ‘GS’ badged by the time they appeared in 2007. So why did so few people buy the ‘X’ models? The supermoto-style XMoto, which might have been expected to be the least popular, actually did best; there are still 101 of them on UK roads today. There are just 86 XCountries and 51 XChallenges left *, and even a decade ago at their sales peak the numbers weren’t that much higher.

* Emphasis mine - They probably just mean in the UK
    DGR, eaglescan and cyclopathic like this.
  11. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    You got pop-ups? That’s odd, I posted from my desktop and just checked on my phone and didn’t get them... Visor Down is usually pretty reputable. Anyway, sorry if you got spammed.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Yeah good to hear from you. Hopefully all is going well with the new family. I too had my X up for sale for a while. Then totally remember all the tells of those who did part with the X. Most everyone of those spoke the words " Wish I hadn't sold the X ". And I know some that hunted down another for their riding pleasure. So my X Challenge is doing duty for my son while he's busy living the American dream.
    Dutchgit and DGR like this.
  13. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comprehensive comparison! Most reviews come from guys who've never ridden one of our X's or even a single. So I really value a review from someone who does have that experience. Only they can really compare them.

I don't have any intention to change bikes at the moment, but it's a comforting thought that there are still good alternatives out there, thanks!
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is how to update the lever & spring at the end of the valve cam in here somewhere?
    Anyone have it bookmarked? Thnx
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think there is a resurgence of interest around here in BMWs bikes built around the Rotax 650.

I'd say the cheaper used prices available now with the disappearance or lack of update of Japanese 650 thumpers plus not wanting a 690/701 has caused many buyer to come back around and look at these bikes.
  16. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    eakins and Gravel Seeker like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I asked Wayne about procedure and he said pics and description are in here somewhere.

Do the cams stay in place?
    Is it as simple as removing that pin?

My F-GS has an ECU update that includes a lever/spring update for easier cold starting.
    Want to know what I'm dealing with?
  18. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @eakins , I have no experience with the procedure, but I'm sure someone in this topic has!
    Usually the manufacturer also writes a manual if a recall involves replacing parts. If you can't find it online, perhaps your dealer can help you out with the instructions?
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    unfortunately PR7 isn't street legal in US and AJP has no intention to certify it. As a dualsport IMHO Superdual is heavy something like Beta 430rr or FE-350 Husky is better choice but as a light ADV bike it's a good compromise.

Too bad BMW abandoned g650x line and then killed 650 thumper altogether.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be pretty much my take on it the bikes are pretty comparable there would be no point.