BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Leafman I am looking for a Touratech rear rack if you have one by chance. Also misc hard parts for protection.
  2. katanajim

katanajim n00b

Oddometer:
    Probably completely the wrong way to post this but here goes -

WANTED XMOTO - ideally UK but would consider import - after a low mileage Xmoto (ideally red but don't really mind) must be good condition and low miles PM me if you have something! cheers Jim
  3. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Finding a red one shouldn't be a problem as xmoto's were only sold in red :D

Since you're from the UK I assume you checked the classifieds over there.

While you're still part of the EU it might be worth the effort to get one from across the pond. (I imagine importing one might get harder and more expensive after the brexit)

There's currently one for sale in the Netherlands on marktplaats.nl and eight of them on mobile.de. Just search for "g650x". Mind you they're not cheap. I bought mine 5,5 years ago and the prices are still the same, if not higher. :loco
    katanajim likes this.
  4. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just realized that the place where I bought my Mitas tires is a SWM dealer and had a Super Dual in the showroom. I should have spent more time looking around!

SWM Super Dual 2.jpg SWM Super Dual.jpg
    DGR and cyclopathic like this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As said above this bike checks alot of check boxes; no it's not perfect but out of the factory it required the least amount of tinkering of any bike I have owned. I would say for guys/gals in sub-6' range it should be a nice alternative to T700.
  6. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess it depends on how often you want your feet to touch the ground :-D
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    At my 29" inseam does it matter? More important is how much you have to lift after but seriously if you have average male inseam of 32" you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever; bike sinks enough to have good footing. It's alot more manageable than X-Challenge and about the same as my '09 X-Country.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Now I see two numbers for the weight. One was 144kg and the other was 378 pounds. Which is it. But doesn't look like an X bike?
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it's not they used TE-630 600cc mill instead of Rotax 652. From what I understand it's about 40lbs heavier than X but including center stand, bashplate, engine guards, rack and 8.5L more fuel.. steel subframe too.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Well then that's definitely worth a look see. But again it's from a lesser known company here in the states. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a unicorn like the X bikes did. Yeah I know what you're going to say. SMW has I foot hold in the you're peeing market, and a growing fan base here in the states. Is the Super Dual a new model for 2019? I don't recall seeing it talked about much myself, but again I don't follow up with a lot of newer company models like I do the bigger ones.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the story of the company it was into dirt bike racing back in 70s and went belly up in 81? Name got bought out by Shineray and then they bought the factory in Varese which was built by BMW and where Xs and Terras where built along with blueprints which KTM didn't buy when they bought Husky name.

Superdual is basically adventurized TE-630.. they put bigger tank, steel subframe, engine guards and other goodies you normally put on travel bike.. Ampelio Macchi was behind SWM revival initially; I think he had his hand in designing Xs, Terras and other BMW era Husqvarnas. Bike has been around since 2017 finally made to US back in June 2019. Mine is the 1st registered in US.

Dealer network is almost non-existent and this is and lack of adventurizing probably the biggest impediment to bike unless you live in LA. The 2 nearest dealers for me are 3.5/4hr away but since my bike is in Kazakhstan it's not a big deal for me; really. But it could be for others.

Bike survived 3mo/13.5k abuse through eastern Europe, Caucas, Central Asia and Pamir. I had some issues but I don't think any other bike would have done better and many would probably done worse. I don't think I would feel as confident putting my XCo through the same abuse though the German I rode with parts of Pamir highway was on X-Challenge but his bike was burning oil with 23000km on the clock.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    They'd be a good replacement for my X (yeah right, like I'm ever going to get rid of that :lol3 )
    There are two models, the T with 19" front and 17 rear and the X (!) with 21"front and 18 rear.
    They have a decent spread gearbox and are a fine bike for what they cost as far as I can gather without ever having been near one.
    cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I don't know man I have taken my X-Challenge down through Mexico and now Europe over the last year of my RTW trip. Been riding the TET most of the way through Europe. My X-Challenge hasn't missed a beat in the last 18,000 miles & 13 months of traveling. Just checked my valves last week with 23,000ish miles and they are still spot on. My bike doesn't burn a drop of oil. Braaap braaaaaaaaaaap

For me the X-Challenge is proving to be the best ADV bike on the market, but I have never seen one of these other guys to compare it with. Granted I have done pretty much all the mods to my X these guys are doing to the Husky to make it ADV ready but I think I have about $7,300 USD into my bike total.

I'm in Romania now heading towards Greece and Turkey for the winter but next year I'll go through Georgia and to the Stan's... I'll report back how she does on that section next fall
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turkey has some nice riding but don't go to towns after sunset looking for hotels; crazy bad drivers worse than Greece. In 15min I had seen 4 accidents then pulled over and found hotel outside of town.. As my Turkish friend said: 1) there are no rules everyone makes his own rules 2) stay away from yellow card (taxi) and blue buses (they are mostly blue in Ankara) and you will be fine.

Another word of wisdom from greek: "when you come to intersection and there's another car, who has the right of way?....... wrong! The guy in bigger car".

Greece has alot of clay so if it's wet it will be slick. Some deceptively easy roads until you ran into 10mph corner on 70mph road with no warning.. and the weirdest thing many good paved roads seem to be abandoned while dirt being used. Also Greece is more expensive Turkey and especially Georgia are much cheaper.

If you get a chance check out Julian Alps in Slovenia.. also Montenegro has some good riding both paved and unpaved. And when you get to stans make sure you carry enough cash and have range finding gas station which takes western credit card could be problematic. And good luck finding an ATM machine which would take MasterCard in Tajikistan.. there are a few in Dushanbe and Khujand that's it.

With regards to bikes I have both SWM and XCo and like them both. Not planning on getting rid of either; my es-vu-em stored for winter in Kazakhstan I will be back in April to continue.

Also beware drones are illegal in Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan.. up to 5 years in prison.

If you decide to skip going north through Russia and take a ferry from Alat (south of Baku) to Aktau PM me I have a contact in port who can help to get paperwork done in advance they changed $30 for service. Otherwise you get stuck for several days; many trucks coming from Turkey and Ukraine I waited 2 days some got stuck for 5.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  15. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Cool man! Thanks for the tips. What I have found travelling Latin America for 3 years and really just about any other devolving country is it always best to avoid buses as well as taxis at all cost hahaha

Cool man! Sounds great. Let's connect on Instagram and I'll see ya next spring. Braaap braaaaaaaaaaap

@natethenomadallen
    Snake Oiler, cyclopathic and cpallen like this.
  16. IJK

IJK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Needle bearing and screw modification. IMG_20191102_132030.jpg IMG_20191207_120417.jpg IMG_20191129_110405.jpg IMG_20191130_122627.jpg IMG_20191130_123915.jpg
    Brewin_Rider, DGR, waylongway and 3 others like this.
  17. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
  18. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
  20. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am doing AWAY w/ all that Crap this winter.....:sharkHell, the lever is cheap, Just spent $300 on new bars...

Beer and whiskey for my horses...:stupid

[​IMG]