BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update guys. I have benefitted immensely from the info he has shared. Its never good to hear someone has been in a wreck.

Please tell him that he’s been missed and give him my condolences and hope he has a successful, if not speedy recovery.
    porterrad and cyclopathic like this.
  2. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much man! Very much appreciated I'm going to replace my main frame piece on the left hand side. Then it will be time to get out the hammers and welder
    cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Highway work I'm guessing. But maybe a miss print I've thought more than once when looking at the photos
    Meriden likes this.
  5. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    New York commute.....:lol3
    Meriden likes this.
  6. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly... this bike does not look like 70K. One of the Max's guys had one that was clean like this few years back at the Hunter Mountain. It was a heated garage find with close to zero miles.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    X-Challenge is on the right IMG-20191007-WA0010.jpg
    cpallen, DGR, waylongway and 3 others like this.
  8. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
  9. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Hello world! I don't check in very often (1-2 months)...

First, you all should know that my website (mattsnook.com) had been getting hacked and is currently DOWN... GoDaddy took it down while I rebuild a new one, but I'm having trouble as their tools won't let me simply upload anything I want. I hope to figure it out soon as I just started working on it. Actually I hope to restore the old one while I work on the new improved version.

As for myself, I am not riding right now for a couple of reasons, but mainly because I'm giving my wife a break - she went through a lot. So I'm focusing on other things for the time being. I can feel in myself that I will ride again in time.

Here is a summary of my rehab:
    My wreck was June 2017 so my rehab is long done. It was 3 months in a nursing home before I could go home on a walker, and wheelchair outside the home. Month 5, I finally went upstairs. Month 6 started on a cane and driving a car. By Month 10 I felt like I could fly on a plane to visit my parents but couldn't lift my luggage or walk far enough to get to the airport gate on my own. Month 18 I started playing pickleball again barely. Steadily improving since then at my ability to move in pickleball, now at month 30 I'm doing pretty well. My bad leg is weak and has no stamina but I feel like I could ride again, I just can't afford to take a hard hit to my back.

So I've focus on riding a jet ski in the summer, and I bought a recumbent trike (with electric assist) which is cool (and cost more than any motorcycle I've ever bought :).

I've decided not to buy another X bike, I'm just not sure what to do with my old one. I'm physically capable of parting it out but just not very motivated to take the time. I'm sure some of you want some of the parts but I guess we'll see.

Ride for me boyz! (and gals!) -matt
    Butters, seasider, Armyguy and 10 others like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now? Trying to get through Oklahoma.. IMG-20200115-WA0002.jpg
    XCh picture was taken on Pamir back in October
    DGR likes this.
  11. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are on the mend, Snooker.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. fzrcraig

fzrcraig Offensive to Most

Oddometer:
    Matt,

I didn't hear of your accident and I'm sorry to learn that it was serious. Keep the rehab going and hopefully you'll be on two wheels again - although jet-skis are fun too. I have benefitted from all the hard work that you put into your website - thank you. Here's hoping that you can rebuild it:1drink
    Gravel Seeker and cyclopathic like this.
  13. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
  14. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket radiator v oil cooler.
    Anyone got an opinion on the scheffelmeier oil cooler? Does it actually have a significant effect? Alternative is get a new custom made radiator. Seems like you can get as much as 30% increase in cooling capacity of you spend some bucks. The bike doesn't overheat but like everyone else I'm thinking the fan running 90% of the time can't be good for the long term health of the motor.
  15. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @daze55556 Is your current radiator 100% clean? They tend to collect quite a bit of mud and lose cooling capacity.
    I know it's not as much fun as buying new parts, but it's free :-)
  16. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cleaned inside and out, flushed and pressure tested. Checked thermostat, new fan...Like I said it hasn't ever overheated but it just bugs me.
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you running a radiator guard? Which front fender?

Is the switch for the radiator fan working correctly?
  18. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I'd rather have it runing all the time than not at all :D And wouldn't worry about the engine, but the fan might burn out and then :grim
    Is this year round or just +35C in summer?
    Could be a fulty sensor triggering the fan at too low temp.
    Simple and relatively cheap way to monitor actual temp is one of these https://www.trailtech.net/tto
    Since I got a coolant temp gauge (Trailtech Striker) it's very cool to see how effective the fan is (upgraded to the larger G650GS fan on my Dakar). Brings the temp down 20C in less than a minute when the fan starts.
    gnarlynate24 likes this.
  19. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Running a high guard with slots cut for air flow. It's had full diagnostics run and the fan is coming in at the right temp. I have a low guard, might try install that and see if there is a difference. Ran out side buy side with a dakar and the fan comes on earlier and stays on for longer
  20. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    So it's clean and the fan is still running 90% of the time? That doesn't sound right. Are you riding in high temperatures or doing slow technical stuff? The fan on mine only runs in situations where I expect it to.
    Snake Oiler likes this.