BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    There is a Trailteck kit the guys use on the KTM's to turn on the FAN independently from its normal sensor
  2. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    which sensor are you using?
  3. Javdet

Javdet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What coolant do you use?
    After filling original BMW coolant I feel the fan works not so often.
  4. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Not sure how it is on the G---X, but you recall from the discussions last summer in the Dakar thread (June probably before I left for the Balkans) our signal on the GS runs throught the ECU and @WayneC adviced against adding a switch without any sort of diodes or something like that to avoid feeding additional positive to the ECU when turning on the fan. I did add a warning LED to the circuit to have a visual on when the fan is running and that works like a charm. Very worthwhile and simple mod.

Which one are you asking about?
    The one triggering the fan is the stock BMW one (single spark F650GS) adn the temp sensor in the hose is for Ø22mm hose I believe. Can't recall now, but just measure your hose - it might not be the same as on the F650.
    I just emailed them and they replaced the temp sensor i nthe Striker box with one that fit my bike
    https://www.trailtech.net/7500-3060
    They also replaced the speed sensor with one that would fit my KTM front forks instead of a generic one.

I'm using Motul oil (MA2 spec'd) and coolant (yellow)
    upload_2020-1-20_10-50-29.png
  5. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
  6. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    But I have the stuff that I was told to use that's been highly recommend. I'll have to find it and I'll pass on the type. I picked it up at a local auto parts store
  7. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The coolant fan differences between the 650 models is a little amusing to say the least

F650GS 125mm fan cuts in at 102c, dash lamp on at 118c
    G650X 120mm fan cuts in at 100c, dash lamp on at 105c
    G650GS 140mm fan cuts in at 102c, dash lamp on at 118c (larger fan STD only on 2013+ models)
    TR650 130mm fan cuts in at 102c, dash lamp on at ???c (specs are hard to determine)

Notes - The BMW spec on G650X dash lamp cut in seems too low & the TR650 dash lamp comes on often in slow single track in Oz heat

The large 140mm SPAL fan BMW fit to the later models is now the replacement for all 650GS with a shroud change but it is a lower flow rate than other fans in the SPAL 140mm range & we have been fitting the high flow rate fans supplied into the agricultural machine market so pricing is lower as well

As per what Gravel Seeker stated the bigger fan cools the engine faster, in our hot climate here in Oz the bigger fan cuts temperature & turns off in 1/3 to 1/2 of the original 125 mm fan

The problem for all the models before 2013+ GS is the fan runs directly from the BMSC/BMSCII & the BMS monitors the circuit & generates error codes for over or under current, I dod some testing on the bench with the BMSCII & the value of any resistor needed to prevent the error codes means wasting around 1/2 the power of another fan & the resistor would need to be high wattage & kept cool so is not practical, I gave Gravelseeker a circuit to do it but would not recommend it

With the SPAL fan ranges, within each range there are higher flow rate fans which could be used rather than the BMW fan & as per what we have done on the GS's no one has had a BMSC failure in running the higher flow rate fan which is roughly 5 amp instead of 3 amp

We had a bit of a play with a mate's TR650 but space was a little too tight to fit 140mm instead of 130mm, I have not looked at the space you have for fan on the G650X so I wont comment on that but Gedrog may care to comment
  8. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    the water temp one is what I was curious about, Thanks!
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you changed coolant lately? Check you have enough fluid in extension tank and radiator is full. G650X is hard to get air out IIRC I had to top it off 4 times until rad got full. Fan was coming on early and often but not so much after air got purged.
    jonnyc21 and Snake Oiler like this.
  10. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    True forgot about that must be a beefy diode you added :-)
  11. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I concur, looked at the alternative SPAL cause everyone was mentioning the overheating but no space and the mountings are different
  12. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1314.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

Started the yearly Tare down and rebuild. Custom fitting a nomad adv tower and fairing.
    Thank you Hansi.
    Also new bearings, new ignition switch, rekluse radius X clutch and general detailing all around.
    advFord, Gravel Seeker, DGR and 2 others like this.
  13. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Are you welding the Nomad brackets onto the headstock?
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    OK never fear I got the G650X website working again, even clean up a few of the outdated links. It may not be a final solution as the bad bots might hit me again, I was told I need a real firewall which GoDaddy wants to charge me $20/mo for and I'm not willing to pay it. I'm already up to $10/mo these days with my new plan but at least now I'll be notified if it gets hacked again. Cross your fingers.
  15. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I sent an email to the BMW dealer I order parts from here in Norway regarding coolant and what to use in our engines in February 2017 and this is what they said in short:

- They use* Motul (the one I pasted a picture of)
    - Red coolant cannot be mixed with any other color
    - Blue, green and Yellow coolant can be mixed with each other if you have to.
    - As long as it's motorcycle compatible, you can use it
    - Use coolant from a known/ reputable brand

* as of 02/2017 - in procurement deals change and one contract can be for a pre dermined volume or time period, so they might have changed suppliers by now. Through my 20 yrs as a BMW owner, "BMW oil" has changed between brands a few times.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    You mean the LED(iode) or the one way diode? (didn't do the latter)
    The LED was a simple panel mount one I picked up at Louis, but I can't find them there anymore. They were €4-5 a piece AFAIR. I can't find my order to Louis either, but I have a couple left at home so can check later. Remind me in May :-)

[EDIT]: Found it. I bought differetn colours; blue, green, white and red. They are too bright though and I'm blinded by them in the dark.

upload_2020-1-21_10-0-4.png
  17. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I’m having new custom brackets machined and those will be welded on. I experimented with several different options and that’s what I liked the best.
  18. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Nope was for the one-way Diode
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I don't know about you other folks. But I'm willing to start a fund to pay for @snooker expenses for the site and his work. If I use it just once a year and gets me out of a tight spot it's well worth it to me.

So what do you folks say care to help out?
  20. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd send him a few $$
    CoatsEast and Snake Oiler like this.