BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. And video GS.

So a few things rechecked. Completely went through the fork alignment and re-torquing once again. That was a good video and mostly how I do things - but I followed that sequence pretty well once again . That went well - one takeaway which decided to pay closer attention too - I didn't torque the lower triple clamp to what I believe is 25 nm spec. After hearing other advice and heeding the possibility of squeezing that fork tube, I torqued the uppers to 20nm and the lowers to 15nm.

I also took the wheel off and rigged a pretty decent wheel stand to fix my axle in place. Armed with my dial indicator - I checked the radial and lateral runout (on the inside diameter of the exposed rim so I didn't pull the tire to check where the tire bead seats) and the side face (for lateral). Radially, I was getting maybe 1.5mm - laterally I was less. Only thing of note was - there is definitely some out of roundness (anyone familiar with measuring a very round part - when there is axial runout - knows it's a very smooth indicator sweep even wth runout present). In my case total T.I.R. (total indicator reading) was the 1.5mm - with a couple noticeable "dips" (out of round spots) included in the 1.5mm. All within spec which I've read is somewhere around 2mm.

While playing with it on my rig, I didn't notice any particular spots that seemed out of balance - but no data.

Put it all back together and gave it a ride. No difference BUT, I spent more time feeling at speeds. Increasing speeds, things seem "ok" until I reach about 30-35mph. It it the worse at around 40-45mph. If I crank it up to 65-75, it smooths out - if I just chop the throttle at that speed and let the bike decelerate (coasting) - it really gets hoppy back at that 40-45 range.

Gonna try another tire balance (maybe a second local shop). The mystery continues....
  2. Mavis cruet

Mavis cruet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if any other clutch cables fit the x challenge please? I’m looking for a spare and don’t really want to fork out for a new Bmw one. Cheers. Karl.
  3. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Husqvarna Terra/ Strada clutch cable fits and is less $.
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aside from the Husky Terra/Strada, just BMW.
  5. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Before you go to another shop and donate your money, do it yourself if you have the parts needed (two axle or chairs or boxes stands and a tube/ pipe)

The one I bought is just a piece of tube or rod and two conical nuts and two tiny stands with bearings. $US30

upload_2020-6-2_10-47-13.png

mtncrawler and Meriden like this.
  7. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I have one of those and really like it.

I also had a lot of balance problems on the X when I moved to K60s. D505s and MT21s never needed a touch, just spoon them on, but the K60 - oh boy. I won't buy those again. I spent a lot of time trying to get the wheels to balance. Stick on weights didn't stay stuck in rough riding. Spoke weights work, but it took several and they look better on my old Triumph than on a modern bike. I ended up pouring a handful of balance beads like you use on street bikes into the tubes and that eliminated the balance problems.

m
  8. Toten

Toten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More bribery :D

Had a nice trip to Cape North yesterday (monday), and got my new gas cap today... it was too big so have to order another one. Luxury problems :D (my own fault for not measuring the cap and just ordering the "acerbis universal large")

Oh well a bunch of plastic foil and some rubber does the trick for now, no longer trips planned as the weather is changing back'n all the time. 2020-06-01 15.32.27.jpg 2020-06-01 15.32.42.jpg 2020-06-01 16.31.01.jpg
  9. Blink43va

Blink43va Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I picked up a new to me X Moto. Anyone willing to check this pic out and know what coolant this is? This is my first BMW so I didn't know if this was the OEM color coolant or something else. Going through all the fluids and doing as much maintenance as I can. Any specific coolant you guys like? I see some references to BMW's own stuff which is fine but was just curious what you prefer to run. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Snake Oiler likes this.
  10. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like the same coolant as I bought from BMW to do my replacement fluid . It is blue like your photo.
    Best to get the good stuff .
  11. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
  12. vientoymar

vientoymar Motorbikes are a drug that change my life

Oddometer:
    Do you know this kind of weights?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXn2v7a

I Also recommend you to balance just the rim, but only to know Where Is The heavier point. Mark it and you will have a reference to compensate and use less weights moving the tyre. Sometime if I'm patient enough, will achieve use no weights.
    DGR likes this.
  13. IJK

IJK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    .45-70 and .45ACP balance weights IMG_20200609_100601.jpg IMG_20200609_100818.jpg
  14. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Any MC premixed coolant from a reputable brand. I use Motul. It's yellow.
    BMW changes "their" coolant/ oils now and then depending on what deal they make with the manufacturer so what brand they recommend means very little. Over the years I've owned my bike BMW has recommended both Castrol, Mobil1 and Shell.
    When I checked with my local BMW shop they just said don't mix red with any other colour, but if you change the coolant and flush the system with hose water before refilling you can use whatever colour.
    DGR, Dutchgit and Snake Oiler like this.
  15. Blink43va

Blink43va Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thanks for the replies everyone!
  16. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Here's my input on Ice. From all the hard off-road guys that run it seems good but remember they are rebuilding the motor way sooner than anyone doing longer hours on the coolant. Now I know of one guy that had big problems with using it over time and after buying a new motor research that it's not as good in those cases. So if I was going to be using it I'd consider changing it at least every year.

I'll have to look for a write up on coolant I know I have somewhere from an inmate in the X bike thread. Not sure what happened to him, but he seemed to be the guru on fluids. Oil, coolant, grease, etc.

Anyone ever hear from Artic anymore?
    mtncrawler likes this.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
  19. mtncrawler

Oddometer:
    Interesting - I'd like to hear about that. I haven't noticed any issues (what would I be seeing? more cooling fan activity? ). My longest trip was 2+ months over 8K miles (loaded) on the X in some pretty hot temps too and things seem to run OK. It's probably due for another flush/fill as that was 12K miles ago. I know I had to top it off a while back - but it was only a few ounces. Good time to change up coolants if there are some long term consequences for using EI.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I just tried to page him. But not sure if he's a member anymore cause when I typed his handle it wasn't highlighted as inmates. I'll have to check to see if I still have his email.