BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    The Stalling has always been a problem on the X bikes. It's just one of those demons. Most get it solved with some of the fixes mentioned, but I've heard that some never get it fixed. On mine it was a couple things, throttle actuator and throttle body. It all looked in excellent condition and clean. But after a couple times of good cleaning over and over in carb cleaner over night it's been fine. Every once in a while I get a hic up but I can't complain about it.
  2. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    On the GS911 out put table the Lambada sensor is moving over a wide range.
    May be get some one who knows about the range it should be in can comment.
    My Google search indicates it is larger than normal.
  3. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    Considering the closed loop is at "1" (correct me if I'm wrong, does that mean the bike is already in closed loop operation, despite the oxygen sensor heater still on and the coolant temperature quite low?), the ECU continuously adjusts fuel for the O2 sensor signal to go from below 450 mV to above 450 mV to ensure its at stoichiometric air:fuel ratio.

Look up "narrow band O2 sensor voltage".

Is there any real viable alternative to GS-911 WITH a similar ability to take it on a trip and perform tests in the field (i.e. not a laptop with Rheingold on it but something that works on a phone?).

Thanks!
  4. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
  5. bojovic

bojovic n00b

Oddometer:
    I did it with carb cleaner. Sometimes it is okay for few days, sometimes nothing happens.
  6. bojovic

bojovic n00b

Oddometer:
    No i did not do anything. Log show that bike is on the side stand and there is no moving handlebars.
  7. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the BMSCII goes into closed loop even at idle & before the engine fully warms up, the firmware routine of the X is the same as the GS the Husky TR650 goes to closed loop at a lower temperature to meet a higher emissions standard

Re GS911 alternatives, no, GS911 is the most developed diagnostics tool for the BMW bikes, on the latest GS911-WiFi firmware recently released there is now an added option of real time logging to on screen graph rather than logging to file
    Bli55 likes this.
  8. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Actually the Motoscan app with OBDLink LX and a OHP 10 to 16 pin diagnostic adapter does a very credible job as an alternate to the GS911 at 1/3 of the price. I have both. Extensive discussion can be found elsewhere on advrider.

I have not done in in-depth comparison for the XC, but it sure seems they do just about the same thing.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  9. vientoymar

vientoymar Motorbikes are a drug that change my life

Oddometer:
    I have it Also, but in the g650x it's only a few sensors to check and I don't know how to do a Excel like this, do you?
  10. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean. I use my GS911 or the Motoscan really only for trouble shooting once something goes wrong. In the last 12 years really only needed it twice, once on my 1150GS, once on my Dakar, but it was worth every penny at that time.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    117083111_10220677102269286_5053874665066746139_o.jpg
    Hello there. I've been trying to fix a "low power/stuttering" situation with my X. I measured the pressure of the fuel pump by attaching a manometer to the fuel line on the injector side. It reads 1.1 bar (15psi) after the pump has primed. Do you guys have any number for me? In this ok? I read that it should be around 3.5 bar (50psi) but I dont know if it should be measured with the engine running or not. Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    That's on idle right?
    The stock FPR is 3,5 in the F650GS and I assume the normal operating pressure peaks at or just above 3,5bar (I'd imagine the pressure is the same in all the 650 Rotax's, at least the ones from BMW). That means at full tilt the injector cannot deliver more or higher pressure than that.

On my Dakar I fitted a 2,5 bar fuel pressure regulator (FPR) by mistake and it idled just fine, and was fine at low rpm, maybe up to 2500rpm, but as soon as I gave it some beans it was starved of fuel and was stuttering an clearly not getting enough fuel as the pressure surpassed 2,5 bar and the FPR opened up and over-pressured fuel was flowing back into the tank. So it needs more than 2,5 bar, but less than 3,5bar. Measuring what it's getting at idle isn't really helpful, I don't think. But if you can fit a T-piece and mount the manometer somewhere you can see it when riding, then going for a short ride (couple of blocks ought to be enough to see how high the pressure gets).
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply! Actually no, the measurement is with the fuel pump primed, the bike is not running since I don't have a T junction at hand (I stuck the manometer at the end of the tube).
  14. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have no idea what the difference in pump pressure is with ign on vs idle. Calling @WayneC to the white courtesy phone....

Shouldn't the pressure go up if you try to start it? The pump has to deliver more than the FPR is rated at right and should start pumping as soon as you hit the starter......is my thinking, but that might be way off. What was the pressure while the pump primed, before it settled at 1,1bar?
    The FPR should return the over pressure back to the tank, but maybe put on safety googles just in case :D
  15. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont think that test would work, need a T piece, also be aware the X does the return internal to the tank unlike the GS as the X has the FPR in the tank

FPR is 3.3 to 3.7 bar & the fuel pump is pulsed from BMS-C/BMS-CII, it brings pressure up when ignition is turned on then waits until started to pulse pump
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up...

I finally decided to part out my XCountry so I'll be posting a thread on it in a few days, details there. Please don't PM me and ask for any info just yet but I do have some goodies people will want. Thanks for your support.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that Matt but thanks for the heads up
  18. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ok, so he'll find a t-piece. Think I paid 1.50 or so for one. Even if the FPR is inside the tank it'd behave the same wouldn't it?
    I assume he had already connected the meter when he primed the pump so should've seen if the pressure was higher than the 1.1 it settled at awaiting pulse signal from the ECU was my train of thought.
  19. TOMMY B

TOMMY B PRODRIVE

Oddometer:
    Taxes paid Too: Brewster, New York X-Challenge
    Sorry to see your moving on too, very nice Build out on your bike ! . I'm defenfintly a buyer of your Bash Skid plate and your rear rack if you are parting it out.. I be on the look out.. Good luck with your new ride..

TOMMY B
    snooker likes this.
  20. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where is the FPR located? Is it part of the pump assembly?
    Is it still available as a part?