1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Jawa, and I seem to recall that the motor was originally developed for snowmobiles.

There is the full list buried in the thread, probably somewhere between posts 400 and 600.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Hey folks need a little life here!

I've been thinking about parting with some spare stuff I have. Don't have the space for it mainly anymore since I moved in the hauler. Getting tired of moving things around really. So before I post in flea I'm going to ask here first.

I have the full set of the stock plastic, both sides, tail, front fender and headlight cowling with the headlight. How's $350 for the the package deal and I'll split shipping. And I'll be heading cross country the end of October NM to PA, it could be possible to meet up for the exchange also if it's not too far off track.
  3. Kalts

Kalts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the clutch cover recently and still had bad clutch drag, particularly when cold. Dry clutch worked fine, there was no difference at all pushing around in 1'st gear clutch pulled in or in neutral. So it had to be oil, cover change did not change the drag, only the lever freed up. Different 15W40 HDEO oils can have different cold viscosities. Pouring at 15C the difference was very noticeable as was the clutch drag. I've been using Addinol MD1548 for almost a decade in different motorcycles, but recently bought different same spec 15W40 HDEO locally from the drum. Fortunately I have one older car which takes all the surplus oil :)
  4. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Well I too am riding myself of unused parts, especially because my X is gone.
    Forks
    aluminum subframe
    Leo Vince slip on

PM with interest. I'll give you pics and details. We will find a price to save them from the recycling bin
    Armyguy, cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  5. jjmead1

Oddometer:
    File this under coincidence or WTF:

Last night I received a phone call from local PD at 1am. They recovered my X. Sadly I am no longer legal owner as I signed title over to insurance company to receive my $$$$$.

Debating going to the auction and see what happens.

ALL ABOVE ITEMS ARE STILL FOR SALE AND YOU WILL RECIEVE THE PMS THIS WEEKEND.

Thanks.
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Wow. That's pretty wild. So am I take it that someone stolen the bike from the insurance company impound?
  7. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Wow @jjmead1 :eek2
    What's even stranger to me is that the PD calls you at 1AM for something that's not really urgent?! I mean, the bike wasn't going anywhere that night, was it :dunno

I'd be curious though what it will do at the auction! Would you consider buying it back for the right price?
  8. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I read it as stolen, insurance paid out then the PD found it and made the call. Strange that they'd call in the middle of the night.
    jjmead1 likes this.
  9. jjmead1

Oddometer:
    @DGR I intend to try.

@Gravel Seeker Exactly.

I found out the police were following up on a crime in progress. Two people on two bikes committing the crime. Apparently one decided to leave my bike behind. SO that is how it was found. Unsure of condition. I'll follow up with my insurance and see about this auction.

But I am extremely happy with my KTM1190R, so I am not too pressed.
    Gravel Seeker and Meriden like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talk to insurance they can sell it back without going to auction or even reverse claim. Of cause auction could be the cheapest option
  11. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question about the ignition coils: At Max BMW they are $170 each! Are there any less pricey alternatives?
  12. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @hansi, I haven't checked this but have you looked at the Husky TR650? It shares quite a bit of parts.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  13. hansi

Oddometer:
    I'll check it out, thank you. On first look, since the Terra/Strada shares the same coil packs with the G650GS and Sertao, it should fit the Xchallenge.
  14. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    EuroMotoElectrics have been adding a lot of 650gs/x parts to their web site, looks like DaCorp have released their iron grip on supply of parts for the 650's
  15. hansi

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
  17. hansi

Oddometer:
    I have no problem at all buying used, but I draw the line with electrical parts, unless they are tested to OEM specs.

Good morning to you
  18. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I found new ones in Germany.

https://www.pkwteile.de/oen/12137715853

Well, it seems to be the wrong one.

But saying that, this is a generic part. Generic parts are made by suppliers to the industry and are often enhanced to be made fit for a certain application.
    This can mean that the part in itself fits x, y and z engines of a particular make/model car, bike, whatever but are dressed up by a rubber boot around it, or a bracket to make it fit. It's like the injector you can fit to the X range bikes that comes from an Audi TT 1.8 Turbo. You'd have to cut two little slots in it for the seating clip.
    Same probably goes for the ignition coils, those will be made by Beru, Champion and who knows which other manufacturers.

You just have to find a coil with the right specs and dimensions and you won't have to pay an extortionate $170,- for it at some parts merchant who'll probably pay $40,- shipped for it.
  19. hansi

Oddometer:
    Roger that, ty
  20. V4Moto

V4Moto V4Moto

Oddometer:
    I noticed the oil pressure light is taking about 3 seconds to go out on initial start up, then around a second once warm. Hoping its a lazy pressure switch and I’ll change it next oil change, anyone else experienced this?
    I know its a pressure switch but I have checked oil level a few times since I noticed the light and all Is good there.