1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    There's a non return valve behind the oil filter. Maybe it doesn't close fully (it's just a plastic ball and spring) but I wouldn't worry about it. Putting a new pressure switch in won't hurt.
    If you cam retainer isn't bolted down properly (i mean really loose) you might get this as well but I'm assuming there are no untoward noises and the bikes runs as well as any time.
    V4Moto likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the issue with coil is usually not the coil but loose/burn contact cap at spark plug side.. what are the chances used one will be fine?

At @hansi I just cleaned it and jammed a strip of beer can in the hurry.. 18k later it's still there working fine from what I can tell.
    DGR and hansi like this.
  3. V4Moto

V4Moto V4Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks DG that’s reassuring. I’ll check the NRV next change and put a new switch in, The bike runs just fine and there are no noises.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  4. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I did the same after finding out the contact clip had rusted away a few year back.
    Use a few strands of copper wire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cyclopathic likes this.
  5. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    Operation "kick the can farther down the road was a total and complete success."

Welded on a new front sprocket yet again. The last one made it 6,000ish miles and was still in decent shape but the rear sprocket and chain were completely shot... Went ahead and replaced the whole kit at one time

Took a while to find a proper welder here in Istanbul buuuut this guy who specializes in CV joints and spline shafts was the boss with the sauce

After grinding off the old front sprocket that was welded on previously with a rotary file and using a bearing puller there was not much shaft left that still had teeth... We went ahead and machined down the new 15 tooth front sprocket to match the shaft length for a better weld using a lathe and I can report back this is some hard metal brought to you from France hahaha

Using a jig apparatus we fabricated the front sprocket was welded on and is about as straight and perfect as it can be in an imperfect world hahaha I don't know if I'll be able to weld on another front sprocket after this one wears out in the next 10 or 15,000 miles.... Fingers crossed

I installed a 15-49 sprocket ratio this time compared to the 14-47 I was running for the last 6,000 miles... 15-49 is exactly where I wanted to be. Just a little bit less buzzy on the highway but still plenty of braaaaaaaaaaap for the dirt.

Let's hope this mighty unicorn can stay on the trail for another few years

PS- I got my front and rear sprocket ordered from:
    https://scheffelmeier-metall.de/BMW...r-sprocket-steel-49-teeth-BMW-G650-X::55.html

Looks like they are just French FE sprockets repurposed and dropped shipped... Not much of a price difference buying from this dude but shipping was one day to my friend in Germany

It was going to cost $220 only to ship the parts to Turkey so my German buddy shipped these bad boys to Bulgaria and my Romanian lady friend went across the border from Turkey to pick them up for me since I'm not able to cross into the EU as an American at the moment
    cyclopathic and Snake Oiler like this.
  6. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    Boooooooooom baby 20200922_204203.jpg 20200923_105002.jpg 20200922_194118.jpg
    cyclopathic, hansi, HooliganD and 4 others like this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    gnarlynate24 and blaster11 like this.
  8. Ndarko

Ndarko MotoTrip

Oddometer:
    Folks, anyone installed Scotts stabilizer recently? Using the search button, there have been just a few talks about it; only one post with pictures. I can assume the 'issue' is having to weld the pin tower to the frame.
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That and that it isn't a sub mount. Emig Racing makes a bolt on sub mount for the X.
    Ndarko likes this.
  10. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    11866309_1621897911412202_2118559028863284013_n.jpg

Yep, but custom machined risers and welded a stem to the frame.

One thing if you decided raise the bars like I did - if you have ABS, you'll need to raise the "distribution block" they attach to in order to get enough slack in the lines.
    blaster11 and Ndarko like this.
  11. Ndarko

Ndarko MotoTrip

Oddometer:
    @HowlingMad do you have a photo of the welded part on the frame? As you lowered the position of the stabilised, I assume you have a shorter pin/less leverage- resulting in less (or no) flex?
  12. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    Question for the group - it's a long story, but I've inherited a fairing from a fellow xChallenge rider we lost two years ago. I now want to rebuild my XC to look like his so I think I'd like to sell mine. It's the HotRod welding KTM style. I imagine would sell it as a turn key, literally unbolt and put it in a box to make it easier for the new owner. It's seen about 3k miles. If there's an appetite for it, I'll start disassembly, take more pics and do this properly in the flea market.
    11094708_1621897921412201_254044164596985011_n.jpg maatjt_ferry.jpg
    Armyguy and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    I don't have one handy, but I'll try to take a picture later. I think I made the pin and post. Other than having to remove enough stuff to have access, it was pretty drama free. I don't remember even having to weld in gussets. The frame is angled so there was. a lot of area to weld. It's worked without issue for 5-6k miles now.
    Ndarko likes this.
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    I didn't weld my pin on a made up a bracket that used a through hole already in the upper frame tube. It was a simple U bracket that sandwiched around the tube. The bike been through some pretty tough stuff and it's never moved. I can't find the pictures but I'll try to get some if your interested in seeing. I also just faxed a flat plate to mount the stabilizer and drilled two holes in the upper triple tree. The only thing that is important is that the center of the stabilizer shaft is on center of the neck shaft. If not it's not going to work properly
    Ndarko likes this.
  15. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    Here’s a pic of the post and the distribution block I mentioned if you raise things up. 8A96AB9D-4C9C-431A-929C-ADED745FA26F.jpeg FFFF611C-B80D-4063-80A8-43371E64D95A.jpeg
    Snake Oiler, blaster11 and Ndarko like this.
  16. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The subject of replacement throttle cables came up in another thread, EuroMotoElectrics were looking at stocking them but there is still no part listed there

I only have the basic info in a pdf but dont have details, anyone able to measure the cables ?

G650X - xChallenge, xMoto 32 73 7 696 788 Accelerator Cable - L=890mm
    G650X xCountry 08-09 46 51 7 708 836 Accelerator Cable - L=850mm

I only have the cable length on file, I dont know the details as per other 650's eg Length: ????mm with sheath ????mm, nipple size ?
  17. Ndarko

Ndarko MotoTrip

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting. Is there any flex in the weld-on pin? With your setup, there's much less leverage.

If/when do have a photo, would be great. Almost no pics online on that matter.
  18. HowlingMad

Oddometer:
    No flex that I’m aware of.
  19. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Husky cables are slightly longer. I don't remember how much but I used them on my Xch and used the Xch cables for my wife's Xco. Husky parts are generally less expensive too.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  20. gnarlynate24

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'll be able to weld another sprocket on because there's not much meat left on the actual spline shaft after removing the first welded on sprocket. So far no leaking of the oil! We made sure to put a wet rag on the engine case and we welded very quickly to avoid excessive heat penetration. 20200922_182853.jpg