BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    That could've been down to thermal expansion given the temps you describe and then the metal contracts enough to allow somewhat normal operation again when it cools down a little.
    Don't forget at 46C you're pretty much halfway to boiling before you start the engine and 1st gear offroad asks a lot from the fan and cooling system.

Get oil based on spec requirements (has to meet wet clutch MA or MA2) and temperature and conditions where you live/ ride, not what Bavaria says in the manual.
    They have no idea if you ride around Siberia in January or Catalunya in August and quite frankly shouldn't specify "weight" in the manual without also providing a table. The F-manual contains a table for reference, surprised the X-manual doesn't.
  2. Trencaterrossos

Trencaterrossos Free land man

Oddometer:
    This is exactly that I was thinking.

I usually don't ride over 40ºC, but this august I travel near the Bardenas Reales desert.

Thanks a lot.
  3. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    $60 shipping to the states from eBay
  5. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Contact EuroMotoElectrics in the US, give them the links in the email, it would be sure to have them add the cables to their offerings :D
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to COVID freight delays I am still waiting for NZ Spokes dash to arrive

Preparing for it though made me stop & look at a few things & one piece of info I thought I had but cant find at the moment is how many slots in the rear wheel speed sensor ring on the X, the front ABS sensor ring on both the xCo & Xch is the same part as the 650GS but the Part No for the rear for X 17 & 18" wheels is different, it may be only due different mounting on the X rear hub, expect 48 on 17", can anyone check & of course count that high ? :D
    Trencaterrossos likes this.
  7. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently its sitting at a sorting center in Sydney.

I would go count but the couch is warm, the rum is good and its dark out. LOL
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  8. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    And delivered. Let the fun begin.
    Dutchgit and Gravel Seeker like this.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    1100 pages here already !

Holy cow, do we have that much problems to write about with our bikes ?

:imaposer
    DGR, nw_gser#0001 and Gravel Seeker like this.
  10. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:

I too make clutch cables for the G650X models. No throttle cables, as of yet, unless you have a Magura 312/Venhill 500 throttle.
    25€ plus shipping per piece. Shipping is 13€ to (almost) everywhere outside of Europe,
    7,50€ within Europe.

Don't have a vendor thread or website going, yet, but I'll soon have a bunch more stuff for the G650X models.
  11. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Typical, feet up while lazing away while I am looking at diagrams & dash signals :D, I expect both the 17 & 18" inch wheel sensors to be 48 slot

In terms of dash assemblies it looks to me on preliminary checks that the 2011+ G650gs dash would be the one which would work on the X with the least modifications, most signals are wired the same, indicators of course would require an external relay, an after market fuel level switch fitted to the fuel pump assembly as per the GS, those with an 18" wheel & no ABS would need a different wheel sensor ring, one of the Husky TR650 owners in NZ had one made in NZ, the G650GS dash plug is able to be sourced, it is AMP, pins are STD auto shop items, all up perhaps would not be cheap but relatively simple to do
    Confirmed & sitting in front of me as I type, they say a wet weekend is coming so perhaps something to do
    Dutchgit and Sparqq like this.
  12. Trencaterrossos

Trencaterrossos Free land man

Oddometer:
    I fitted al Acewell 6452. Not easy. Not impossible. Have replaced too the Reserve sensor by an Acewell level sensor slightly modified. Works well 2 years after. Some issues on the GS-911 reports, but any problem.

The external relay was solved with E marked LED "progressive" signals with integrated relay. Made in china 15€ for 4 units. Works great too for the moment and ere smaller than the OEM ones (17€ / piece and easily broken on offload)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  13. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    My wheel sensor is 48 slot. Finally got off the couch.
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    :lol3 There are a few ride reports too.

I have to say that every problem I've had with my X has been due to me wrecking it or modifying it.
    Dutchgit and Armyguy like this.
  15. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    With mine it's about 50/50. I had 2 problems really, the earth wire contact of the fuel pump burning out in the fuel tank lid (which is not something that is likely to do with crashing the bike) and the "non bending" shift lever, which prompted me to take the bike and subsequently the engine apart to fit a new shift shaft.

Every modification I made is still on there and performs flawlessly !
    CoatsEast and Meriden like this.
  16. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I was looking to add a second Xchallenge to the stable (number one is in the shop for a revalve, not sure how long that will take) I was offered an X with a G650GS motor grafted into it. What are your thoughts on that?

Yes, I'm in the market to buy an Xchallenge in the US.
    CoatsEast and Snake Oiler like this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    What are you willing to spend?
  18. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not much different then buying a 2009 X-Country. It wouldn't bother me as long as the work was well done and rest of the bike were fairly reflected in the price.
  19. hansi

Oddometer:
    I don't call myself cheap, but I like value for the $.
  20. hansi

Oddometer:
    I feel that for the total mileage that is on the X with the G650GS mill that the pricetag that the owner is asking seems a little steep, but that would be offset by parts availability for the engine. Looks like the work was done by the owner. I have not seen or tested the bike, so I can not comment on the work.