BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Getor cables vs OEM ones. The elbow is in a different angle because the original cable is for an X-Country and the new one is for the X-Challenge. If you order the right cable for your bike you should receive the correct elbow.

I'm really happy with the quality and fit. Will post results on these cables after I've done some riding.

IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1009.jpeg
    IMG_1016.jpeg
    IMG_1017.jpeg
  2. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Damn rodents! Chewed through a wire on my field pump Any idea where I can get a replacement connnector? Oh there will be payback!

BC072165-AB79-4556-9297-81DA003BC474.jpeg
  3. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Damn they sure seemed to like it:imaposer
    CoatsEast likes this.
  4. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Best make a new set up using a military style waterproof connector. You'll avoid eventually burning out the earth pin.
    eaglescan likes this.
  5. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing that would involve removing the fuel pump. I started searching and found a few posts on the full retrofit. However, as I have a just a few weekends left of good weather, I'd rather just find a new connector and take that on later!

Anyone have a source for this connector? If I can find a replacement, I could easily just cut the 4 wires and splice in the new connector as there is plenty of wiring wiggle room. Thanks!
    Dutchgit likes this.
  6. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Replacement connector repair kits are usually available from your BMW dealer. You will probably have to go through the service department to get the part number but they can be ordered.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    You might be able to unlock the "sockets" in the plug and solder some new wires onto them.
    eaglescan and CoatsEast like this.
  8. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    Payback is hell.
    DD020E6A-5426-4CB7-ADF5-B23BBE263136.jpeg
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I bet there more. So watch your back that they don't seem revenge
  10. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The connector repair kits from the bike dealers are way over priced, the better bike dealer spares guys will search & find the connector bodies & pins in the spares system

Get all the numbers off the connector, there will likely be a BMW 7 digit No & the connector Mfr No, RealOEM can ID the models which use the BMW No, many of these connectors are used on the cars so connector bodies & pins can be purchased at BMW car dealership spares, the GS fuel pump connectors are used on a large No of the cars

One of the GS owners over at F650.com has recently managed to identify that the whole GS plastic fuel pump assembly is from the 1990-98 E36 cars, interestingly one of the car repairers told me last week that the E39 cars also had the same melted pin problem the X suffers so perhaps E39 may be worth looking at to see if it is the X plastic assembly, definitely worth a quick look at a pic or 2
  11. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    3FDC49BF-5E33-4CD7-92C1-56203320EE39.jpeg FCBBA379-5BCC-44A7-90BB-3473BDDD2026.jpeg FFEE8FB0-E39A-43CC-80F4-6200FE3BF45C.jpeg Got another chipmunk last night.

meanwhile here is the connector. I may post this more broadly to find a source.

no numbers on it. Not sure if I can yank the wire out without destroying it...

3FDC49BF-5E33-4CD7-92C1-56203320EE39.jpeg 3FDC49BF-5E33-4CD7-92C1-56203320EE39.jpeg FCBBA379-5BCC-44A7-90BB-3473BDDD2026.jpeg

Have calll into EME And my local independent mechanic

12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Use a magnifying glass to look into the plug from the side where it connects to its counterpart. There most likely is a clip of sorts that needs to be pushed away from the housing using a small piece of round wire or a very small flat piece of wire. Then you might be able to pull it out on the wire end of the plug one wire at a time.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  13. CoatsEast

Oddometer:
    cyclopathic, Dutchgit, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried Corsa Technic for connectors? An acquaintance of mine who runs a repair and setup service has recommended them as having any motorcycle connector.
  15. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    THIS HAS ALL CHANGED! SEE MY UPDATE IN A LATER POST!

Attention all shoppers! After 3 and a half years of waiting for me to get off of my broken ass..

Announcing a Cyber Monday G650X Sale of anything you want from my '07 XCountry!

By Monday I will be posting a new thread listing my items for sale. For the unobtanium HOT items (XTank, passenger footpegs, etc) these will NOT be first come first serve so don't bother posting anything or sending me a PM before then. I want to be fair to the community and give everyone time to see it and I want to make sure those of you that have contributed to our great community have first choice. (So no it won't be like eBay :). However, if it's just a simple repair part you need you can PM me and I'll send it as soon as I can remove it. Wait for it! ..

SnookerBikeMexico.jpg
    Snake Oiler and DGR like this.
  16. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I tried to create my parts thread but it was rejected for multiple reasons even though I read the rules (I thought).
    The ADV ethos is basically the first person to meet your price should get it. I will comply but I find this unfair especially based on a worldwide audience where some people are sleeping. I wanted to make sure that EVERYONE in our wonderful ADV community is at least aware and gets an opportunity to see what is available first.
    I am also not allowed to say if you need any part just refer to RealOEM and gimme part number and I will discount it X%, instead you must list anything for sale and a price on it.

So here is my solution:
    I will postpone until this Saturday and will post my parts thread sometime mid morning local time here in Colorado, so at least most of you should at least be awake. Please do not post to the thread in a big hurry with "PM Sent", as I will not read your posts, you must send me a PM (Message). Plus I have multiple pictures of everything listed and it will take me awhile to input it all. So get ready for Saturday.

PM me for questions, but wait for pictures, nothing sent early and just know it won't be your place in line to buy it, that is Saturday. Please be kind and don't flame me if you don't get what you want.

XTank (dented), passenger footpegs, modified leak-free gas cap, XCountry wheels, custom toolbox, LeoVince, BMW exhaust, Scheffelmeier skidplate / wheel spacers / case saver, cush rubbers, footpegs, foam air filters, mirrors, full engine. Over 50 items priced out.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Hey chief that's going to be one long add yours writing up:clap
  19. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Just an idea;
    Maybe post up all the pics on an external host and your idea of a price list, then just post the link here and do it your own way.
    Dutchgit and Snake Oiler like this.
  20. acl

acl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am after some information re changing steering hear bearings. I swapped mine out, got a 3rd party to remove the bottom bearing as I could not get it off. They also pressed the new bottom bearing on. Re assembled the bike and its basically unridable, wanders all over the road. Pulled apart a few times to check every thing but still the same. Thought it may have been the after market bearings so re installed some genuine BMW ones. Same result. When ordering the parts the BMW guy sent thorough a picture of the triple clamps etc to verify we were looking at the same thing. In the parts drawing it shows a washer, part number 10, between the bottom dust cap and the bearing. The guy who pulled it off swears that there was bnot one there. Checking free play , front to back, there is play. The only thing I can think is that the bottom bearing is not sitting in the race correctly because the washer is missing. The question is, has anyone here changed the bearings and can they remember if there was a washer as mentioned before. If so They are not available so will have to get one made. I have the size of the thing from the drawings but not the thickness. The repair manual does not show a washer. Any help is appreciated.