BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Yes, I need to have it reworked. It's set up for my weight with gear and honestly going fast over rough terrain it's great. For my every day use it's not practical. The one in the photo above is from an X Country which is the one I use for gravel when lower seat height is what I am looking for. I asked the Ohlins rep to get me the shorter shock and let him talk me out of it. My fault for not holding my ground.
    Dutchgit and manybike like this.
  2. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beginning to think of concentrating on suspension. Went to a seat uphoslterer today and they wanted over $300 to shave the seat and recover. For $300 I can order a lower spring and shaft from Hyperpro (another $150.00 to install) I think that may give me close to 2 ". Beginning to wonder if I did the right thing buying a bike with a giant seat height, but then again to try and buy something current like a Husky 701 or KTM 690..you end up with the same height issues but paying almost triple for the bike. Anyway, I am now also keeping my eyes open for a x Moto seat which is apparently lower and will also fit. I am glad I have the Hyperpro, more flexibility than Ohlins.
    cyclopathic and Meriden like this.
  3. manybike

Oddometer:
    so, anyone out there know where there would be an X moto seat for sale ?
  4. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Can never go wrong with suspension work as long as it's sprung for you correct
    Meriden, Dutchgit and manybike like this.
  5. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep, regardless of bike, I have been told many times that suspension is the smart money.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Yep, I rather have my bike with its guesstimated 57hp and fantastic suspension than a bike with 80 hp that can't keep its wheels to the ground !
    blaster11 and Meriden like this.
  7. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    If I were you I'd change the suspension 10 out of 10 times before lowering the seat.
    You always need the most comfort possible from the seat, you don't always need the ground clearance and travel of a stock length spring. But it depends on your intended use of the bike I guess.

$300 is the minimum I'd expect to pay for a professionally sculpted and covered seat. I was quoted €500 some 5-6 years ago at RayZ (In the Netherlands) and had a seat minutely altered then re-covered back in 2000. Payed €175 then, but that was not close to a big job.
  8. alexofnazareth

alexofnazareth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A cheaper option to the seat upgrade would be to grab a sheepskin pad to clip on there. It was a game changer for me when riding longer than 3hrs continously. There's a lady in Alaska that makes them for various ADV bikes.
    nw_gser#0001 likes this.
  9. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I was looking for some feedback about the SW Motech center stand for the X Challenge.

Anyone have one on their X?

How do you like it?

Is it worth $200?

Thanks

btw: Shaving/ sanding your stock seat now seems a whole lot easier to me. I just installed a foam and cover low seat kit by Seat Concepts.

My advice is to spend a few hours and tackle the seat yourself. All you really need is a staple gun, 1/4 in staples, flat head screwdriver, knife, and sand paper.

Even if it all goes wrong, I dont think your seat will come out less comfortable then the stock seat.
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  10. manybike

Oddometer:
    I have one on the XC I just bought last week. Not easy to get up but sure makes the bike easier to work on. Most center stands regardless of bike brand are in that $200 price range. I just asked Seat concepts if they had a low seat kit and they said no ?
    When did you buy yours ?
  11. manybike

Oddometer:
    The only other issue with lowering the suspension is having to shorten the side stand and center stand.
    Butters likes this.
  12. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    That is correct. Either do it yourself or get a metal shop near you to chop and re-weld. When I broke the step lever for my center stand a few years back I just drove by a metal fabrication shop and asked if they could help. A guy had a look and 5 minutes later I handed him $5 and got in my car with a fixed center stand. He even threw a thin coat of rattle can paint on it to keep it from rusting. I painted the whole stand before mounting it again.
  13. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welding or getting a second hand side-stand are the only options as they are no longer available new.
    manybike likes this.
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I have the SW Motech centerstand. It has it's place, but don't expect it to have the same functionality as a bike with a designed in centerstand. The bike will still be front heavy with the front wheel removed, so expect to hold the back down in some way. I carry a piece of line for securing things, towing other bikes, etc. and use to anchor the back to something. The best way to get the bike on the stand is to roll the rear wheel up on something to raise the height of the bike. In the shop I use a piece of 2x4 and in the field I use whatever rock fits the bill.

It will change the ground clearance on the bike, so if riding in rocky areas like the desert it's best to remove it. I rode LAB2LV on mine twice and both times replaced the stand with a tarp.
    m
  15. manybike

Oddometer:
    w
    what is LAB2LV ?
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Only bike I've ever handled that is balanced 50/50 on the center stand is the BMW airhead GSs, and I don't think it would be if the stand was designed differently.
    My Dakar is front heavy with the Touratech center stand. If I remove the front wheel I have to prop up the engine and secure the centerstand to the bashplate so it doesn't fall off the stand.

upload_2021-4-21_15-54-43.png
    Meriden likes this.
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    manybike and Meriden like this.
  18. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm lost here the XC makes 57hp? I thought it was about 50hp...
  19. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Dual sport ride to honor the old Barstow to Vegas desert race and part of the AMA National Dual Sport Series. Pretty cool ride and well managed by District 37. Lots of sand and rocks, and a good way to get acquainted with the desert if you're not used to riding there. If you plan on doing it, get your hotel in Barstow early. Some guys reserve a room the year before. Follow tbarstow's link for details.

m
  20. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    All of my street bikes worked well with just the center stand, so those were what I was referring to. I tried to block up the front of my X, but was never comfortable with it. I have a Hyde skid plate that is super slick. I could have engineered something better than I had to support the bike, but for me it was just easier to tie it off.

m