1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could not find info on this. What is the procedure to get the rear shock off ? do you have to remove the fuel tank ?
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No need to remove the fuel tank. Just the upper and lower shock bolts.

The most difficult part is usually removing the lower shock bolt.
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    See if you can find one from a 2007 Xcountry.
    My Xco is at full Xch height but still got the Xco stand. it leans a bit but it never fell over, not even loaded with luggage.
    Butters likes this.
  4. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I fitted a bigger injector and optimised the air inlet in some ways. This is purely seat of the pants HP but that's what my guess is.
    Stock our bikes would have 53 HP.
    Also have the Leovince exhaust with the most quiet Db killer but I don't think it makes any extra power or torque with this pipe.
    Meriden likes this.
  5. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The most important part is to undo the nut first at the bottom (Allen head) bolt.
    The top nut is captivated so no worries there.
    tbarstow likes this.
  6. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The color orange also adds around 5 horsepower. Just look at how fast those KTMs are.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  7. manybike

Oddometer:
    Good to know, I felt in behind the top of the shock and it felt like there was a bolt there, but if it is permanently fixed that is good. So the procedure is remove the swing arm bolt first, then the top bolt ? I am hoping to get a shop manual so I know the proper torque settings for those types of things. Does anyone know them?
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
    Another question (show mercy, I am a newb to x bikes)
    If you lower the shock by say 1 1/2 " how much does that lower the seat height ?
    I know that sometimes it is not a 1 to 1 relationship and it can vary from bike to bike. Anyone out there with some experience with that on the XC ?
  9. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Shave your seat, don't mess with lowering the suspension. Putting two feet flat on the ground is over rated.
    Dutchgit and mbogage like this.
  10. manybike

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of that right now...but...the suspension does not have much sag to it, I am not that heavy at about 160lbs give or take. I think it is always better to have suspension set up for your weight. Right now I have the preload backed right off and I still am not getting much sag when I get on. I still have not measured it though.
  11. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

Ahhhh, thanks for the feedback. I ended up missing out on it, but am not too disappointed. I ride a lot of rocks/ deep ruts and that could be problematic. Wasn't a fan of the design for putting it down either. If a less expensive one comes up I might buy it.
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    So that means you need more preload, not less.
  13. manybike

Oddometer:
    Increasing preload decreases sag. Decreasing preload increases sag. My preload is backed right off and I get very little sag. If I increased the preload I would probably not have any sag at all. Increasing preload also raises seat height. Pretty sure this is the way it works (I am no expert though)
  14. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    You need a spring with a different spring rate. If it hardly sags at all the spring is too stiff.

And you need the nut at the bottom bolt loosened first. Also clean out the hole where the bolt head is to be found in the swing arm. Spray it with penetrating oil after you cleaned it out.
    manybike likes this.
  15. manybike

Oddometer:
    Hyperpro does offer lower springs. Not sure at this point if I will go the suspension route or not.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I haven't tried this for this particular application, but if you throw a ratchet strap under the swing arm and up around your rear frame/ luggage rack solution, you can compress the rear shock and lower the rear. One might then be able to pivot the bike over the center stand to rest on the rear wheel and thus lifting the front off the ground. In any case it will probably make propping the engine up easier and more stable. A round rock will never be the most stable thing to use regardless though :-)
  17. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    This has served me well over the years on many different bikes:
    "Enduro Star / Trail Stand" http://www.endurostar.com
  18. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Actually, when you think about it, the bike will stand more upright on the side stand the more weight you add to it
    I thought I had made the perfect side stand, but turned out the bike would tip over the wrong direction on it's own when I loaded it with luggage and suspension sagged :lol3

upload_2021-4-22_8-33-11.png
    Meriden, Dutchgit and tbarstow like this.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    My bike fell over once when the air shock I had fitted deflated itself. Luckily the right hand side was next to the wall so it was only leaning against that!
  20. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    For some time I experimented with a trail stand like tbarstow mentions. They are pretty easy to make from a telescoping walking stick and the hook off of a tarp strap. I would hook it in a hole in the skid plate. This is the is being used on a buddy's KTM500.

KTMFlat_zps08f9c4d5.jpg