1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I thought about those, but in the end just got a center stand for my Dakar. I don't ride it like I stole it anymore and it's not been in the way really. It adds some weight, sure, but the benefit of having one more than makes up for it for me.
    Meriden likes this.
  2. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    Public service announcement... Check your wheel bearings X'ers!

My wheel bearings finally gave up the goose after 37,000 relatively hard miles. I think the nail in the coffin was the 12 fairly deep water crossings I did the last 2 days trying to cross a snow-covered mountain... It would have been only 6 water crossings if I would have made it over the peaks that I was trying to summit buuuuuut the last stretch of both passes I tried were still completely frozen... One water crossing was up to the seat of my X-Challenge.... Didn't realize it was that deep until I was already halfway through braaap braaaaaaaaaaap. It's a miracle that Amalia did not swallow some water down her air box

I was doing about 60 miles an hour (100KPH) down a really nice paved twisty section a day after I made it off of the snow-covered tundra mountain. Halfway through a pretty steep corner I felt the rear of the bike jerk and knew something was not right. I slowed the bike down after the corner getting off to the side of the road and heard some clunking out of the rear wheel... Thanks to my cunning mind and eye for inspection I quickly found the left rear wheel bearing had shot out a couple of its balls... I said balls haha

Thankfully I just crossed through a small village a few minutes back up the road so I turned around and found my way to a gas station where I washed the bike down and got my tools out ready to rock and roll

Apparently I was the talk of the town because after about 30 minutes 15 people came to watch as I was taking the wheel off and banging out the bearings. One Middle School aged girl named Merve spoke a little bit of English and translated to the crowd of onlookers where I was from and what I was doing. Several of the villagers were quite curious and even brought me coffee and tea haha Turkish people are the nicest you'll ever meet

Upon closer inspection I also found the front wheel bearing to be on its way out as well. The front right bearing had more than just a little bit of play in her... My theory is going through all these crazy deep water crossings washed out what little bit of grease was left in the bearings and then me going relatively high speed down the paved roads the next day just through dirt on the grave of these old bastards

3 hours later the rear wheel bearings, the sprocket carrier bearings, and the front bearings were all swapped out and I was back on the road

Big thanks to my boy Eric Parrow who did the research to get front and rear bearing kits ordered up before I hit the trail 2 years ago You literally saved the day yesterday bro! I'll have to order new bearing kits for the next 37,000 miles

***Pro tip*** Throw your new bearings in the ice cream freezer to help install them easier and to have some ice cream afterward the job is done 20210421_133011.jpg 20210421_120102.jpg 20210421_114910.jpg
  3. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    I second this adventure stand. I made mine out of a used Soviet crutch in Ukraine last year and it works like a champion. I mounted a U channel metal piece to the top which matches my crash bar almost exactly. This is actually what I use to change my front and rear wheel bearings yesterday in the gas station parking lot
    Natgeo14, HooliganD, tbarstow and 2 others like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is your inseam? I was offered to try XCh and just couldn't take it off kickstand; not loaded bike with 30" inseam. Yeah could skateboard it but it would be a drop every time foot has to go down.

Shaving seat isn't hard I have done it on several bikes. All you need is a screwdriver to pull staples, staple gun and drywall sandpaper. Patience too.
    manybike likes this.
  5. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    about 32", I have practised shaving on another older seat from the same bike, does make a lot of difference. Still may have to do the suspension.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC someone makes an insert to shorten shock but you would have to take it apart. It goes around shaft and reduces stroke.. travel too.

$300+$150=$450 is no peanuts. Maybe someone is looking for exchange?
    manybike likes this.
  7. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can put a spacer in , much simpler, less expensive and easy to reverse. I think I will be going that route. An exchange would also work !
  8. manybike

Oddometer:
    Or, I can order a new shock and sell the existing Hyperpro. Nice shock with hydraulic preload.
    Armyguy likes this.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just personal observation: if seat isn't wide 3-4" extra inches over inseam are quite manageable on light ADV bike. 5-7" is an issue.. as it is meant for dualsport with no load. If you can get seat under 36" with shaving, preload and rising forks give it a try before working on shock. Maybe you get used to it. My other bike is 35" SWM and with shaving I got it good enough for many touring miles.
    manybike likes this.
  10. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep, I have a second seat that the PO let me use to practise shaving. So far I am down to where I believe suspension work may not be required..more riding and testing is required however. The fact that it is a lighter bike with a lower C of G makes a considerable difference. The XC really is in that Unicorn category. Why were they not popular back when they came out ?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When these bikes were new, you could buy 2 KLRs or DR650s for the price of one BMW. They were only a couple of thousand less than a 1200. BMW had something, then they quickly abandoned these bikes. Same thing with the 450X, it was winning all over Europe, then they stopped making it.
    manybike likes this.
  12. manybike

Oddometer:
    I guess the cost along with being ahead of it's time were factors. Of course the same situation still exists, what is the price difference between a new DR 650 and a Husky 701 ?
  13. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny you speak of the 450X soon I'll be swapping my 1150 for a 450X.. should go good next to the XC.
    manybike likes this.
  14. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    $6600 for the DR, $12K for the Husky.
  15. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep, still pretty much a 2 to 1 ratio. But back in 07 (due Ewen and Charley) everyone still wanted the 570 lb behemoth 1150. I believe the XC was simply ahead of it's time (and too expensive for many)
  16. manybike

Oddometer:
    Same motor that CCM used in their GP450. Apparently the motor is very reliable and low maintenance if you run it in the lower state of tune.
  17. Sportsbud

Sportsbud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting did not know it was used in any other machine... I mean I intend to really use it as a dirt bike but may source some Sumo wheels... I still love the XC for its awesome all aroundness...
    manybike likes this.
  18. manybike

Oddometer:
    Yep, Kymco continued to make the motor under license. The CCM also used the same location of the primary sprocket as the 450X. The primary on both are part of the swing arm pivot (hard to explain)
  19. Sno Dawg

Sno Dawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny to compare a DR650 with an XChallenge and even bring the 450X into the conversation along with the 701. Besides being close in engine size they are all such different bikes.

The 450X was a purely off-road bike with blinkers and lights to make it "street legal". The swingarm pivot point was way ahead of its time and the bike did not like to have its front tire on the ground for long - especially through tight whoops. It was far from a bike that could be ridden on the road for any distance no matter how you set it up. The stock seat was a virtual 2x4 and the bike just screamed to be ridden fast. There were several issues with the engine in the early production 450s including vapor locking and tight maintenance and tear-down recommendations. The bonus was that it came with Ohlins suspension!

The 650X with its Rotax engine and fuel injection was so much more streetable and tamer on the road and the woods. Mine was the tamest and smoothest thumper I had ever ridden and the engine is just plain bulletproof. I rode mine in the BMW Challenge Event in California and it held its own. I was sad to see that bike go and still miss it after many reliable off-road miles. I would ride my 650 in tight woods and in the highway and it was at home in both places.

The newer more refined Husqvarna 701 takes smoothness and pure power to a new level. It is narrow and light and has endless power like my HP2E. I can't remember a bike I like as much as my 701 Enduro Rallye because the standing and sitting positions are just about perfect. I never feel like I am reaching for the bars or out of position on it when we are sliding around on dirt roads. Mine had a full Rade Garage Rallye kit with an extra tank and full protection and it still feels light. Riding it is as comfortable as my old XChallenge and the engine feels like a more refined 640 Adventure.

I am sorry to say that I have never ridden a DR650, but I did have a KLR650 and I would like it more to a tractor.

Happy to share pics of these bikes!!!

Sno Dawg -
    manybike likes this.
  20. manybike

Oddometer:
    Sweet that you have the 701 with the Rallye kit. Closest you will get to owning an actual Dakar bike !
    Sno Dawg likes this.