BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    A guy on the German X forum used to put a steel ( I think teflon lined? ) bushing in the original covers. He did 2 for me years ago and they're still working like the first day after we'd put them on. The cost was about 45 Euros each, including postage. This was a swap out system.
    Koof likes this.
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Isn't Loncin using the motor currently in both new bikes and ATV's? I doubt the cover will remain unavailable from China. A new supplier will surely emerge. But I applaud your initiative :-)
  3. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Check out WayneC's site: https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/AlternativeParts.html
  4. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that Loncin is delivering bikes straight to Europe through their Voge brand we might have some more luck on getting those covers.

First few seconds of the video:

5. tim04

tim04 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I've just joined the forum and I'm so glad I found it as there is so much helpful information! I recently purchased a 2009 XCountry from a friend who hadn't used it in years and I'm currently trying to resolve a couple of issues. I've just come back from a ride and there is oil leaking from what I think is the pipe from the head back to the oil tank; it looks perished. Would anybody know what the likely outside and inside diameter of the pipe is as I could order some generic pipe and cut to length rather than the BMW part. I can't remove it at the moment to measure as I would have to sacrifice the clips, and I need to use the bike in the coming days.

Thanks

Tim

Attached Files:

6. Toten

Toten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the hose is leaking.
    AFAIK any oil hose thats rated for warm oil should do, any shop worth it's salt should be able to fix it on the spot, take it off, measure, cut new, slap on with some new clips/hose clamps, off you go.
    BE CAREFUL when removing the hose from the engine, it's just a plastic cover that can easily break. (speaking from experience :/)

According to https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...195_&mg=11&sg=44&diagId=11_4108&q=11437696990
    Its a 6x11x400 hose.
    Koof and mbogage like this.
  7. tim04

tim04 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the helpful response. I've taken the hose off and ordered a length of oil hose and some SS clamps. Interestingly it's 6x11 but only 200mm in length. I've ordered oil and filter so will do everything together when the parts come.
  8. Toten

Toten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I assume the 400mm length is just a standard length they then cut to size.
    As it seems the bike is new to you:
    http://faq.f650.com/GXFAQs/OilChangeFAQ.htm
    Helped me through my first oil change, and I keep my eye on it for every change I do :)
    montanamade and ArcticRider like this.
  9. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    AFAIK there shouldn't be any oil flowing through that overflow tube in normal conditions. So my guess would be that the oil level is too high at the moment.
  10. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is pretty exposed when you remove the right side panel but space is limited, and you just know that one of the screws will slip from your hand never to be seen again. Another question, when you remove the actuator is there any surprise springs etc. that spring out also never to be seen again ?
  11. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    No. Just don't turn on the ignition when it's out and still connected....
    ArcticRider and manybike like this.
  12. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Dutchgit !
  13. Koof

Koof Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you know by chance if he's still doing this work?
  14. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    No he doesn't. He gave it up a few years back and I haven't been on that forum about just as long.
    Koof likes this.
  15. Koof

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
    Dutchgit likes this.
  16. jder

jder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Very much in the market for one of these bikes and decided to do some reconnaissance in this thread only to have my fears and suspicions confirmed immediately. This baby is definitely out of print. :( It's strange to me because there's obviously a market for a competitor to the HusKTM.
    manybike likes this.
  17. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    We have 2 of these bikes, riding them regularly and have never ever been stuck for parts.
    I have 1967 Yamaha Trailmaster 100 as well and I can even get parts for that !

If the need should arise you could buy a new cover from BMW. Or a used one from the 2009 Xco or the Sertao 650 etc.
    There are few non generic parts on the X like the frame, swing arm and wheel hubs, and it uses a rear shock that cannot be swapped out with one from any other bike but if you are buying a new one it will be the same price as any other same type of shock.
    Koof and Gravel Seeker like this.
  18. Koof

Oddometer:
    jder, we just bought back my old X Challenge from the fella I sold it to in 2016. I've ridden numerous other 'comparable' machines (640A, TE630, XR650R, etc) but in my opinion nothing else really does compare to this machine. And between Advrider and fleabay, you can build a complete X Challenge if need be.

Just some food for thought.

But you're absolutely right that there's a market for a competitor to the Husky/KTM.

Happy shopping!
    Butters and Dutchgit like this.
  19. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    You have no idea what you are missing. The X bikes are an amazing bike. But guess you will never know.
    Dutchgit, blaster11 and Koof like this.
  20. tim04

tim04 n00b

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the reply. I ordered some generic oil hose and some clamps and it has cured the leak thankfully. I did an oil and filter change as per the guide, although the oil that came out looked very fresh but I wanted to be 100% sure that it was bike oil (and correct grade) as a local car garage serviced it for the previous owner. It has only done 400 miles in the last 5 years so I suspect my friend (previous owner) had it serviced and then just parked it up!

I have the original repair manual disk but own a Mac that doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. Is there anywhere current to download the iso?

Thanks

Tim

Attached Files:

Armyguy likes this.