BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Chrisbarnes1

Chrisbarnes1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Help needed--and the previous pic helps--we have an X challenge and the rear sprocket protector has shed its rearward mount--the front mount is nice and wide and still intact. The bike was purchased with a tie wrap doing the job of the bolt! getting a new part seems to be impossible and the only secondhand one I've seen has the same problem. I was thinking of adapting a generic part but life is complicated by the chain being on the "wrong " side! Fixing that rear eye looks difficult--and it may be easier to craft a complete one out of a thick bit of nylon sheet, or make a carbon/kevlar one, which I can do--using a flat sheet and spacers to get it set correctly--any suggestions gratefully received--I'd rather just bolt a replacement on.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The chain guide shoe is a KTM part. Google should find what the part number is. The bracket can be fabbed up pretty easily.
  3. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part number for the sprocket protector is BMW 27727696677.

Is it possible to glue/melt in a metal bushing in the plastic part? 3D printing might also be an option.
  4. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    I think I'll fit a thick carbon fibre plate along the top edge and extend it for the rear hole --and then uses spacers--that won't break in a hurry.
  5. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    do you have a link--are the hole centres the same?--ours has both BMW and Aprillia numbers moulded in?
  6. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might be able to source a sprocket protector from an Aprilia Pegaso 650. But I'm not sure if the bolt holes match up.

[​IMG]
  7. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    I don't think we are talking about the same thing. Do you need the chain guide that goes on the rear of the swingarm, bottom side, that keeps the chain from getting knocked off the rear sprocket? Or do you mean the chain slider at the front of the swingarm?
    Dutchgit likes this.
  8. Darth_Maga

Darth_Maga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Compatible throttle sleeve, anyone any info? It seems unavailable at BMW.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    What's that ?
  10. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone makes one. There's a generic Motion Pro one. There are a few that have replaceable cams on them, try a few different options that come with it.
    Darth_Maga likes this.
  11. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    The so called shark's fin that protects the underside of the rear sprocket --as you say. BMW UK don't have it and neither does Germany. The Aprillia reference could work but this requires someone to have tried it--and the Pegaso parts are not exactly plentiful. Its a poor design in that the front mounting is solid and wide but the rear is just a thin tang and when the guard takes a hit with a bit of sideways force then this thin tang simply breaks off from what I can see. The issue with the rear mounting is that there is very little clearance between the inner surface and the sprocket so to get a nut in they have had very little width for the plastic. I reckon that there is a way to push the bolt in from the inside and use a dome head socket bolt (low height), and put the nut on the outside. I'll go with my HD carbon/kevlar strip, put two rivnuts in the thick plastic from the inside(M5) and use socket headed cap screws with washers to secure the strip--it will extend rearwards and SIT ON TOP of the cast lug on the SA. I may get away with a stiffnut on the inside for mounting to the SA lug--we'll have to see on clearance.
  12. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The X "chain guide" is purely optical. It's useless for anything else.

You want this one: http://www.mx-kingz.de/Chain-Guide-KTM-SX-94-07-EXC-94-08

You need to fab a bracket for the rear bolt though as the front mounting point is in the right spot but the rear is not. I think TT made a bracket for it but it's no longer available.
    All you need is a vice to bend a piece of flat bar (4mm thick or such) and a drill to drill some holes and if you have a endless chain, you need to take the steel bushes out of the guide and make a cut lengthwise so you can fit it over the chain and put the bushes back in and bolt it up.
    tbarstow and DGR like this.
  13. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    For Sale: Twin Air 158328 foam air filters. $30 each. I have 3 brand new ones sealed in unopened original bags I had shipped over from the Netherlands. The best quality - even nicer than TwinAir I feel.

Shipping $10 to continental US. Send me a PM. Get them while they are still available!

20210814_194122.jpg 20210814_194211.jpg
    Dutchgit likes this.
  14. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    I just happened to mount a Twinair filter last month, coming from a stock paper filter that was still fresh.
    To my surprise the bike actually felt like it gained a bit of power and a smoother throttle response from lower rpm. Very happy with the result.

Another effect is that it now has slightly more intake noise (esp at WOT), but overall the bike is still very civil with the stock exhaust.

If you're in the US, I'd say get one from Snooker, you'll like it. :thumb
  15. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    I won't disagree that we can fab something up if required as we run other trail bikes with full bottom chain guides--rather than the BM one which is designed to prevent branches and the like getting hooked under the sprocket. In our case judging by the battle scars it has done a job. Here's the fix--the extra plate is 3m carbon with kevlar triaxial and its held in place with rivnuts for inner clearance purposes. IMG_20210812_140257.jpg
    IMG_20210812_150807.jpg
    Darth_Maga and DGR like this.
  16. Chrisbarnes1

Oddometer:
    I'm going to get a Polisport nylon guide for KTMs--but with wider hole spacing than The Dutchman's suggestion. At about $16 with free postage its worth a punt. If it works I'll post some pics. The key is that its readily available and cheap.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  17. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So working on the bike this morning getting ready for the yearly Labor Day trip with the boys. Started the bike to adjust the rekluse since I put a new clutch cable on. Everything was going fine then SMOKE!!

Found this sitting on the header and melting. I’ve had this bike completely apart and I don’t recall ever seeing this thing. Seems to be a cable guide of some sort.

Advise please.

IMG_3236.jpg
  18. gnarlynate24

gnarlynate24 Live, love and ride on :D

Oddometer:
    Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure this little plastic piece holds on to the radiator hose and the clutch cable has a bit of a guide and holding point. It might not be on the radiator hose but instead on the actual down tube of the frame I can't remember but I do recognize this piece from when I change my clutch cable.
  19. Wyocrawler

Oddometer:
    That’s what I figured too. It was probably broken off for awhile and just waiting to melt on the pipe.

Thanks brother
  20. Wyocrawler

Oddometer:
    IMG_3245.jpg
    It’s a first. I’m ready to go 3 full days before I leaving. I’m usually throwing shit in bags when I’m already supposed to be on the road. The boys are not gonna be waiting on me this year.