BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ReasonX

ReasonX n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello. I just want to get know. Does G650X (challenge\country) engine is physically 100% same as F650GS(gen2) or G650GS?
  2. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Nah, don't think so.
    Lighter flywheel at least. (= more horse power and consequently lower charging specs)
    Also, the F650GS SS and G650GS engines are not 100% identical either....99, but not 100.
  3. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I've read somewhere on ADR that the engine mounts are identical across the range......
  4. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I would assume so. If that is what the OP is wondering (the outer physical dimensions), the answer is probably yes, but since the X's have different frames from the GS's I can't be 100%.
    If the OP is wondering about the entire engine they are not identical as we all know.....

Differences on the engines, top of my head:

F650GS single spark (SS) vs F650GS twin spark (TS):
    different number of spark spark plugs
    different cylinder head
    different clutch
    different voltage regulator
    different ECU

F650GS (SS&TS) vs G650GS
    different clutch cover
    different ECU

F650GS & G650GS vs G650X
    different final drive shaft
    different flywheel
    different ECU's​
    Dutchgit likes this.
  5. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Crappy day Sunday. Guess I'm going to have to do the hot start fix. I decided the X had spent too much time in the barn and took it for a ride. I get about 15 miles from the house and stop to check things out. No start. Instead of waiting thirty minutes and letting it cool, I ran the battery down and then waited an hour and a half for my wife to notice I was missing and come get me. A couple of dirt bike guys passed and stopped to check on me, but neither had time to take me home. I guess that Andrew Short was doing a clinic down at his place. Now, if I can find the parts. Every web site I've hit says they are on back order. C'est la vie!
  6. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Really ?
    They're use on a lot of modells.
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/pa...195_&mg=11&sg=34&diagId=11_2938&q=11317699386
    eaglescan and Meriden like this.
  7. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Meriden likes this.
  8. underontop

underontop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I follow up.

m
    Dutchgit likes this.
  10. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Touratech tank is a complete waste in this bike. Too bulky, too heavy. If you thought your T7 is top heavy, the big TT tank will have you missing the T7.

If you want a lighter bike to play on tougher tracks, go get a 350 KTM or 300 Honda.
  11. Craven88

Craven88 n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you think it would also add too much weight if empty?
    I immagine I would ride with the tank empty most of the time.
    I would like to maybe replace the T7 as it's just too expensive to trash around offroad and I feel like I'm getting too much road comfort for the price of offroad-easiness and weight. (And I think it's just a disaster waiting to happen when I get stuck somewhere in the woods on it or pinned under) I don't want to consider too small bike as I it will spend on road most of the time and the xchallenge with the wind screen seems like a good do it all solution. (I just don't want to make the mistake again to buy a bike above my skill level...)
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TT tank empty weighs a lot, plus it is aerodynamic as a barn door, so the fuel economy of the X engine is toast.

The XChallenge is a great bike, but you also realize that it is 15 years out of production and has limited aftermarket support, yet has a cult following.

I would enjoy the T7 versus getting into an X. Again, if you want a better off-road bike, there are many out there, but the trade off is they aren't the greatest on the road.

I spent a weekend in North Carolina riding a rented late model 690. It was so much better than the X both on and off-road.
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The X is a very nice bike which is also easy to get regular parts for. The engine will last you a loooong time with proper maintenance.
    The TT tank will make it heavy at the front which is pretty bad especially in sand and possibly on tight tracks.
    The good thing about that tank is that they sell really well. For the money you can get a 10L. tank from Hotrod welding in the Netherlands and that one fits to the left rear of the bike. The TT fairing might be okay for you. I'm not a fan of bigger fairings as they can provide a lot of wind buffeting/turbulence. I have no personal experience of one though.
    I've looked at many bikes but there are none in existence that are the same as the X for the price you can get one for.
    That's why I'm not buying another bike to replace it.
    It travels very well and mine weighs around 175 to 180 kgs with fuel and tools and a spare inner tube, racks and everything but no luggage.
    That's less than an empty T7.

Good luck with your decision !
    eaglescan and Armyguy like this.
  14. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have the X and have ridden a fully loaded T7 (Nick Sanders) a bit off road. For true off road the touratech X will be better IMO. For travel I'd probably give the nod to the T7 just cause it's road manners are so nice. But between the two I was pretty happy with the X in the middle of Kazakhstan and Mongolia. The 7 would have been way better on the Autobahn and highways of western Europe.

My 2 cents. You're going to have to figure out what works best for you.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  15. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The X is like the Swiss army knife.
    It does everything but it excels at nothing :lol3
    blaster11 and tbarstow like this.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the un-modded X is the one that will suit your needs then :-)
    You say it's close to you so maybe go test ride that one to get a general feeling for the platform.
  17. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell if this is fixable? Bike took a hit. Looks like the reservoir came off but the radiator is still OK. The picture is not the best but all I could do before the bike was taken by the towing company.

Coolant was dumped but I was able to turn off the bike in seconds so hopefully no engine damage.

IMG_2181.jpeg
  18. krellheat

krellheat Milk Crate Challenged

Oddometer:
    Parts are replaceable. Are you ok?
  19. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fractured shin bone. Currently bored at the hotel waiting for a medical flight or taxi home so I’m already thinking about getting the bike back on the road.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Shit news mate.
    But if only the reservoir was knocked off or loose I see no problems.
    Probably no damage to the engine either.
    computer_freak likes this.