BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    That's a long taxi ride if the alternative is airplane... :-)
    Glad you're ok-ish and bike is not totaled. Where in the world are you?
  2. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Switzerland. Best hospitals in the world so not the worst place to have an accident.
    Dutchgit and Gravel Seeker like this.
  3. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    The bike should be okay if you can find/fix the radiator. Same thing happened when I hit a tree with my X. I rode the bike a half mile to the nearest paved road. I have well over 20,000 miles on it since the accident.
  4. tim04

tim04 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just getting round to sorting my XCountry and noticed there is a lot of play in the clutch lever hinge; at first I thought it was missing a bush/washer on the bolt buy having looked at the repair manual it looks like the previous owner has fitted an aftermarket adjustable lever, which doesn't fit particularly well hence the play? I've attached some pictures, and would be grateful for some advice ie. should I just replace the lever, and if so any recommendations?
    Thanks.
    IMG_0955.jpeg IMG_0956.jpeg IMG_0958.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    You have a yellow X-Country manufactured in 2008 or later, those all have adjustable levers as a standard option. The repair manual was released in 2006/2007 when the bike originally came out, hence why it doesn't mention it.

The bushing is a bronze self-lubricating PTFE one which doesn't need lubrication but can possibly wear out. I'm not sure if these can be ordered by the dealer, as far as I know you can only order the complete assembly when you have the adjustable levers.

One annoying thing is that the non-adjustable levers have an M6 pin while the adjustable have an M8 pin, so they are not interchangeable.
  6. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    @tim04 To get rid of the play, I removed the original bushing, increased the size of the hole in a drill press and fitted a new, universal bushing.
    For example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000127166888.html (I used 8*12*8mm)
    You may also need a thin ring or a shim to fill up the space above and beneath the lever.
  7. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a T7 to replace my XChallenge, that I've owned from new. After some months I sold the T7 and still have the XChallenge.

I also considered replacing the XChallenge with a Husqvarna 701 Enduro, but after a half day's test on a friend's 701, the BMW is still here.

I mainly do quite technical trail riding, not much on surfaced roads.

I hope that helps.
    CoatsEast, Gravel Seeker and Dutchgit like this.
  8. Ian640

Ian640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just the other day I took my XCh's radiator guard to a plastic welding shop for repair. They couldn't weld it but did glue it back together.
  9. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I would say the X is the better of these bikes T7 or 701 even the new Toureg 660 which I would seriously consider as a top candidate but too many Electronic rider aids that can leave you stranded
    With Adventure bikes, you need to keep it simple. That is why T7 is such a popular bike I would not hesitate to take it RTW.

I am honest in saying that the X was the perfect RTW bike once farkled
    But today I would question that purely based on the availability of spares I ordered a simple axle nut and no spares I was told BMW has discontinued it.
    Even this 610 miles £6,695.00 X-Challange which seriously tempts me I have to consider the cons.

The best RTW bike is low maintenance cost and cheap to service and has big fuel economy
    Maintenance cost for the X will only get more and more expensive as the rarer parts will become more and more expensive

[​IMG]
  10. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Once the bike is home I'll look into a repair. I should also be able to take the plastic bits from an F650GS/G650GS radiator.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The axel nut from a KTM 450 fits the X. You need to buzz the nut flange down a bit for the rear axel blocks to fit correctly. Google search here will find the part number for you.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  12. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    front or rear?
  13. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    What about wheel spacers, anyone have a front hub laying about?
  14. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    KTM 450 EXC RACING AU, GB 2007 FRONT WHEEL ?
    CoatsEast likes this.
  15. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It fits both front and rear axels. KTM was smart enough to put the same size nuts on both the front and rear axels.
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    *152 miles

Wow! That's cheap as. Practically new bike.
    Spare situation of course makes it a hard sale for someone who doesn't already own one, but if you have one from before that you have 100-150K kms on and have built up, you can use that for spares when the time comes. Not like a new bike needs many spares the first few years. Storage for a decade isn't ideal of course, but maybe it's been started once or twice a year to move some parts and circulate the oil.

There's one xchallenge for sale here atm. 25K kms. €7.000
  17. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Which plastic parts?
    I can't find any radiator parts on the GS fiche that are shared between the GS and X's.
  18. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
  19. computer_freak

Oddometer:
    The bits on the side with the thermostat and where all the hoses connect. It should be the same for GS and X. If mine is beyond repair that might be a good source for parts.

G 650 X:
    dsc_7935_7.jpg

F 650 GS / G 650 GS:
    bmw_17117652234_1.jpg

(not my pictures)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  20. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ok. But those parts are not loose. The very bottom that holds the thermostat is, but all the black metal stuff is clamped/ welded/ soldered/ braised onto the radiator itself.

But @TobyG has used Kawasaki and KTM radiators (twin radiators) to build the cooling system on his Oryx' so there are options out there. You'd need to fab up a mounting system of course.
    computer_freak likes this.