BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree about the stiffness of the sidewall. I finally got rid of my E07 on the back and got a Motoz Tractionator Desert HT. Those E07s are next to impossible to get off the rim. I'm hoping that the Motoz will be easy to get off.
  2. lewiss66

lewiss66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't know that one exist. What's their strengh other than sidewall stiffness?
    I use the TKC80 at the front and love it.
  3. Konnieblaze

Konnieblaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20210927_204528 harrison x.jpg Fall ride.

Attached Files:

4. Armyguy

Armyguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pic. Where was that taken?
  5. Konnieblaze

Konnieblaze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Harrison lake, BC
    Armyguy likes this.
  6. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3512.jpg
    Got my new shock today.
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    That's what I wanted to know too, and I live here in BC,
    Konnie, it' s OK to tell us where you rode, you lucky swine! Steve
    Konnieblaze likes this.
  8. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A radiator repair shop was able to fix the radiator by crimping the plastic side-piece back on. I don't know the details as I had to outsource everything but they pressure tested the radiator and it showed no leaks. After mounting it back on the bike and letting the bike warm up no leaks either. They also painted the core black, looks nice.

The plastic radiator grille is still available new from BMW and surprisingly affordable, around €30, which is about the same price as second hand. The plastic side fairing of the X-Country is no longer available.
  9. konleo

konleo zboutsam

Oddometer:
    Hi to all from Greece in this truly helpful forum.
    Beeen lurking and finding great stuff in here but havent posted yet.
    Have a 08 bike for 4 years. Use it every day, and for as I say it, touring enduro. You know, 600km 3 day all dirt track with camping equipment solo. Thats what I bought it for and have never looked back. Great bike with minimal needs so far. Has 29k on it. Oils, tires, brake pads so far. Aaa and a clutch fix found in this forum.
    Be well and drive even better
    Pics coming

Attached Files:

10. konleo

konleo zboutsam

Oddometer:
    And some more pics IMG-ccd7f668e3f3e35935aeba175e9af840-V.jpg IMG-57b84b59d06ec4f6405b824cbfaf312c-V.jpg
  11. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    I have the same MotoZ HT Desert Rear. Its a beast but I like. I opted for the softer Intermediate compound in the same tire for the front.
    Natgeo14 likes this.
  12. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    For Sale…hyperpro progressive springs for Xmoto. #sp-bm06-ssa010. These are new, unused, purchased a number of years ago and my local tech recently E8786BD7-268A-462F-85A2-81001C31A6E6.jpeg 2880F7D0-090F-4CFF-BCFF-B491BB253E40.jpeg told me they don't fit my xchallenge. Located in Oklahoma. New these are $161, selling for $100 plus shipping. 580-554-6227
  13. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how much the X weighs with a Leo Vince aftermarket pipe and de-smogged? I'm guessing it dropped 10-20 lbs. Anyone actually weighted their X?

If the dry weight is listed as 317 and wet at 344 that would make it pretty light. I bought it b/c it offered so much long road capability more than the DRz (listed as 319 wet / 291 dry) or the DR650 (357/324 lbs). Of course you can drop weight on those too but the X seems to fit right in the middle. yes, some parts are hard to find but I haven't found a showstopper yet (knock on wood). I don't have racks or anything extra on mine - just use a Mosko Reckless "backpack" on the small aluminum tail rack. It has sleeves where I can carry a few fuel cannisters - which I have definitely needed!

I brought this up based on the posts earlier about the T7 or Husky vs an adventured Xch. Love the Husky 701 but most of these get way built up and are expensive so wouldn't want to ride them as hard. I say, keep it simple!

Of course as I type, I'm considering going down to a KTM350 or thereabouts to go even more light as I typically carry the bike on my rear rack of my Pathfinder vs ride the slab (hate what it does to the knobbies!) It also allows me to camp in the back of the Pathfinder and create a base camp rather than try to squeeze everything on the bike. Also gives you a ride home if you need any repairs! Right now I have R1100GS for big bike and xCH as small bike. Money unlimited I'd go KTM 350 / KTM 790 as the line up. But its not!
  14. Natgeo14

Natgeo14 Long timer

Oddometer:

I felt like my DRZ was easier to throw around in the dirt than my X, but the X wins by a million because of its highway ability.

It sounds to me like you should get a 2012-2016 KTM 500 EXC as your next bike. It weighs in at 246 lb. Cant remember if that is dry or wet. Pretty sure it is dry.

The older I get the more appealing hauling the bike sounds. I just rode the interstate from Utah to Iowa on my X and man does that get old quick.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  15. computer_freak

computer_freak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @CoatsEast The stock exhaust excluding heat shields is a bit over 5kg (11lbs).

I believe the most weight can be saved by going for a Staintune exhaust, about 3kgs lighter. But it's extremely loud.

Another 2.2kg by going for a lithium battery.

Passenger grab handle removal is about 0.5kg.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  16. rlloyd

rlloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just some fun pictures from last weekend's camping trip up through Monongahela. Infamo's iMAT tracks are awesome.

IMG_8639.jpg IMG_8644.jpg IMG_8645.jpg

Attached Files:

17. Lumier

Lumier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headphones & enjoy!
    Konnieblaze and nw_gser#0001 like this.
  18. King Rat

King Rat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little bimble away from the crowds. I know it is a X Country rather than a X Challenge. I have an old nail of a Challenge too. :-) This old girl has covered just over 40,000 miles now and still pulls as well as she has ever done, she is still on the original suspension too, I am not good enough to make use of better, I am not worried about my turkey strips (same as chicken strips, but bigger).

DSC_3580 (2).jpg

The beauty of a hammock is it takes up so little room compared to a tent and it doesn't matter if the ground is sloping, your bed is still flat.

DSC_3577.jpg
  19. rlloyd

rlloyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone out there rebuilding the EMIG Racing steering dampers? I Googled Emig themselves and there are red flags all over the place about people sending parts in for repair and never getting them back, etc.

Anyway, mine must have lost a seal before I had the bike and is presently useless.
  20. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    The Emig steering dampers are manufactured by GPR probably worth getting in touch with them

Aaah no Revolution and GPR was the two offered with my order ended up with the Revolution