1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Tomdog

Tomdog Mapaholic

Oddometer:
    What about front brake lever?
    First page suggestion is fine (Part # 0614-0080 (Lever RH-BMW)) but I need one in in a hurry (Australia) for a forth coming ride.
    My local BMW dealer wants $76.00 :eek1 for one which is day light robbery.

Somewhere in the past I'd been told a Honda CB500 lever would do it but no way.
  2. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are there any shorter levers that work?
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I have probably lowered it enough to work with but off road in particular I would certainly trade with someone if they had a 09 rear shock and seat. I'll search that out.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this and welcoming me to the group.

Keith
  5. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use pattern levers off a CB500 twin. Perfect fit.
  6. Tomdog

Tomdog Mapaholic

Oddometer:
    Thats interesting because my nearest Honda shop had a lever in stock for a 1977 CB500 ($12.50) and it was quite different. Maybe it was a four?
    Ant idea what year the 500 twin was?
  7. BaldEagle

BaldEagle Adventure Bound

Oddometer:
    I used the micro LED lights that came with the package. (tried to use the stock indicators, but they wouldn't fit with the new X-Tank) I spliced all the wires from the new lights to the OEM wiring harness with connectors. I connected the OEM harness and tested turnsignals and license light before I wrapped everything neatly with electrical tape and installed the tail tidy. Everything worked correctly and the turnsignal blinkers blinked at the appropriate frequency during the pre-install test.. I did not use the funny looking connector thingys in the package (don't know what they are. Maybe some kind of resistor? The install instructions didn't mention them.) After the taping and install, the license light works, but the rear turn indicators do not light at all, and the turnsignal indicator on the dash is a fast blink vs. the normal slow blink I got during the test. Before I tear it all down again and remove the tape, anyone got any ideas what is wrong and what I need to do?
  8. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO you need to revisit the resistor thingy's, :)... its a wonder they worked initially, but i've found LED conversion need resistors on any of my bikes or they do exactly what you describe.
  9. BaldEagle

BaldEagle Adventure Bound

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. That is what I suspected. I was surprised they worked without them when I did the first test. I hope I didn't burn out the LEDs by not using them. This will be the third tape unwrap, splice, rewrap, and install. I did the whole thing with the stock lights before I installed the X-Tank. I didn't realize the X-Tank came back as far as it did. The micro LED indicators just barely squeeze in with the right one pressing up against the tank filler neck.
  10. DaveyDave

DaveyDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One happy camper here. Just picked up my X-Challenge on Saturday from Sydney and had a 2 day ride back home to Brisbane.

The engine seems great, a lot more torque than the 640A I had before and she can hold a pretty decent top speed. I'm already not a fan of the airshock. That was set to 100psi which felt way too hard. I've dropped that down to 90psi but now it feels like there too my sag now. This will have to be a bit of a balancing act I guess until my new shock arrives.

I've got a few other parts on order and I'm looking foward to getting to know her a little better over the coming months :deal
  11. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    try 95psi :rofl
  12. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Keith, welcome! Come on over to the XCountry thread and we XCo guys will take care of you!

Especially because the XCo had a different shock than the XCh guys have. Start with this page or search for lollipop or heim. You can reply to this on that thread... but here is some more info for you for now...

The XCo Sachs shock (crappy though it is for off-road)... is adjustable via its heim joint (aka the lollipop due to its shape)... and is one more way to adjust the rear seat height, though most people want MORE wheel clearance and adjust the shock to be longer, not shorter like you want. Also the 09 has a shorter shock than the 07 (and 08 may be like 07's or 09's) and also a thinner rear seat. There are probably still guys owning an 09 who will trade you their rear seat, as the 07 is much cushier and most guys don't really need the lower height. You might even find someone to trade shocks to get the shorter 09 (but that is a touchy subject as both Sachs suck and the 09 has even less travel), again since most guys want more travel (the 07 has much more stroke, not just mounting length - see my XCountry shock page on my web site. I am 5'10" and have an 07 and am not flat footed but it is fine for me.
  13. dirtsurfer

dirtsurfer Adventourer

Oddometer:
    You shoulda bought mine Dave
  14. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    does anyone know where I can get a manual for the x-c? I need to repack the steering head bearings
  15. frostyuk

frostyuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a front brake lever from an fz1 2006 or later works with a little drilling to open up the recess for the plunger to sit in. i got a pazzo copy from hong kong off ebay for about 15ukp

some pics in here
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243565&page=2
  16. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
  17. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    CB500 twin: 1994-2003

[​IMG]
  18. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cut your levers to whatever length you want.
  19. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i like having the little balls on the end though
  20. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might not want to do this with your original levers but if you get pattern levers for a few pounds/dollars...

Cut levers to the required length then file or use coarse sand paper to roughen the surface on the last 5mm of the lever.
    Put on some rubber gloves.
    Mix up some epoxy glue- araldite, JB Weld, chemical metal etc
    Wait until it is just starting to set and stick a ball of glue to the end of the lever, moulding in to shape with your fingers.
    Job done!

Sometimes the end of the ball is already hollowed out underneath. I have also used this as a socket to glue the ball onto the end of a lever once it has been smoothed off with a file.