1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:

I run the one that pokes back into the muffler the farthest, and allows me to use the spark arrestor. I have good torque, although I also run a power commander. To me all the benefit of the muffler is no cat, so it is cooler, and lighter. I live in AZ so a spark arrestor is a must, and I want it to be as quiet as possible.

Do you notice any performance different with the various inserts?
  2. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to have to say that I any difference I notice could just be my imagination. There are just too many variables at play and I have not had my butt calibrated in a while.
    I am still in the process of getting this to where I want it as far as performance since i got it last winter and only have 500 miles on it this summer. I am looking to find a foam filter and have been toying with the power commander idea.

What can you guys tell me about the PC, is it worth the money and is there a noticeable difference in power or fuel economy.

And onto my next question,
    My front suspension is squeaking pretty good when rebounding, should I take the forks off and check the oil or is this a common problem? I am hoping to wait until this winter as I want to order a set of progressive springs, but dont want to damage my forks. I have no experience with these forks and would need someone to walk me through servicing them if thats the case
    Thanks again
  3. AZ-Twin

AZ-Twin Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer:
    I really like how my bike runs with the PC. There are folks with the same mods I have, LV exhaust, foam filter, no top on air box useing an FRK or booster plug air temp spoofer, and they are also pretty happy with how their bikes run. I have one of those on my R1200S, I can't remember which one but is did seem to make a difference on that bike, and I had no other performance mods.

Here is the PCV thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654767

As far as forks, that is one of the few things I take to an expert, but I have worked on forks don't know why they would squeek if they have oil in them, unless is the oil flowing through the cartridge. There are a couple good fork maintenance threads here I am sure you have seen.

Good luck and have fun. In stock form the bike rides pretty good, way better than 500 miles a year, that is for sure. :D
  4. gumbellion

Oddometer:
    Yeah its a shame how much I have ridden this year. Work has been insane and have been getting a couple days off a month which are consumed with borning things like house work. On the plus side it give me lots of $$$ to throw towards modifications.
    The only riding I ahve been doing is to and from work all summer, and I lied its more like 1250km this year so 800 miles, I am hoping for a trip to the states sept 8-12th though
    I saw there was a booster plug in the classifieds, if its still there I will scoop it up today.
    Normally I have always got my suspension work done for me but that involves shipping it out and a 4-5 day turn around, but it might need to be done before heading on a long ride.
    I will have to look at the power commander and pick one up before the snow starts to fly up here
    Thanks
  5. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gents,
    I bought an X to set up to my own version of a traveler and haven't ridden it since I purchased it about 2 yrs ago. Blesphemas I know but it will be on the road...some day. Anyway, I am getting close to that point but wondering what parts of the fuel system should be inspected/replaced with it sitting so long. I did drain the fuel but that was only within the past 3 months or so. From dealing with a pressure washer that had to have a new carbdue to fuel sitting in the system; I hope it's not as bad as that. I want to try to get possible problems areas looked at before I get it back together, find it won't crank and have to start over.

The tank does have a somewhat varnishy/fuel smell so hoping it just the little that was still left and not in the system. I looked at the mx CD and thought...

Injector - fuel filter - throttle valve - pump may need inspection/replacement.

Thanks for any and all suggestions
  6. Niedz

Niedz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have an x-country and i thought my forks were squeaking, but it was really just the brake line rubbing on one of the wire hose guides that makes the squeak. so check that out before you end up pulling the forks off.
  7. 4strokn

4strokn Wanderer

Oddometer:
  8. Xtreamdirt

Xtreamdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why cant i put more than one word in the search field, it gives me a error? Anyway!!

My fuel reserve light does not go on when it should, the light itself is still working. I know it was discussed somewhere but I cant find it, can anybody steer me in the right direction?
  9. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I had this happen 2 years ago, turned out to be the sensor in the fuel tank. Took the dealer 3 weeks to get the sensor from Germany. When it happened to me the g/f and i were riding from NE Ohio to Washington DC. Made for a really annoying trip. First thing we did was run out of fuel 3 miles from home which was the first time the problem presented itself.
  10. gumbellion

Oddometer:
    I have read on here somewhere that some think that all the booster plugs for BMW bikes are the same. Is there anyone that can verify for me that a F800 twin booster plug will work on a x-challenge
    Thanks
  11. Xtreamdirt

Xtreamdirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Problem sorted, there was a loose wire on the sensor
  12. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    HELP

Can someone tell me the length of the airshock - whilst not fitted

I need the total length (in metric cm's) and also the length eye to eye - (in metric cm's)
  13. LangKat

LangKat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is about 380mm when not fitted. The centre of the eyes are 20mm from each end - so roughly 340mm apart.
  14. LangKat

LangKat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found milk in my oil :cry

Bike only has 4000km on it... Seems the previous owner didn't know why most vehicles have a rev counter :baldy

Sigh, is there any other reason the oil might have water in it besides a blown head gasket? Something easy like there being too much oil in the system?

Luckily it isn't too bad yet.
  15. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Change the oil now. Make sure it's topped properly. Then see if the 'milk' re-appears. Yes, there are other possible causes but why not just cut to the chase and find out for sure.
  16. MTBiker78

MTBiker78 ENDURO Wanabee

Oddometer:
    +1 to slide's advice - try to change oil together with oil filter - if it will be better after 1st time it will be not so bad....

milky coffee colored oil can happend also when:
    1. bike was flooded :augie e.g when falling in water during river crossing, trying to ride thru too deep water holes etc.... most of the times it will need to have multiple oil changes to get system flushed. any signs of water in air filter or in airbox?
    2. it can also happend when water pump seals are damaged (but at 4000km I will not suspect that one)
    3. And blown head gasket will be far on my check list ...
  17. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any other bods got one lying about in their garage, that could measure it for sure, please

That's a good start LangKat
  18. LangKat

LangKat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want more accurate than that I would say length - 380 +-1mm

Top to top eye centre - 19+-0.5mm

Bottom to bottom eye centre - 20+-0.5mm

Eyes have a diameter of 12mm

I can't get more accurate than that because all I have is a straight edge and a tape measure.
  19. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's brill:clap
  20. LangKat

LangKat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Slide and MTBiker78

Going to do an oil change this weekend and see what happens after a week or two.