BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. adventurerik

adventurerik Never stop exploring

Oddometer:
    Hi Just wondering how many miles is everyone getting out of thier original chains? Thank you
  2. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This works too:

- http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/bmw/g_650_xchallenge/07-09/picture/clutch_lever_black/
    - http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/bmw/g_650_xchallenge/07-09/picture/front_brake_lever_black/
  4. aprilian

aprilian Can I change this?

Oddometer:
    I just replaced mine at 12k because I hammer on it and the aluminum rear sprocket was going fast. Mine is an xmoto and locking up the rear wheel might be rougher on the drivetrain - I needed a new cush damper too :evil
  5. Gyan50

Gyan50 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has over 10K miles and it is still in great shape. I'm pretty good about keeping it lubed and most my miles are on the street. I can't imagine needing one before 20K miles under the same conditions.

That said, if you search the G650X threads, there are lots of people whose chains/sprockets were thrashed under 6K miles. I don't know if that is due to a bad batch of equipment, poor lubrication, or just people riding mostly in the dirt. My thinking is it is the latter - if you ride in mostly dirt, you better be pretty religious about cleaning/lubing.
  7. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top notch videos. How fast were you going across the salt flats?
  8. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks!

In this video I don't think I exceeded 130 km/h..

A friend on a 2013 Sertao and I went for a speed run from a rolling speed of about 60 km/h, and the sertao didn't stand a chance. :D

according to my GPS the top speed was 168 km/h, which I think it was quite impressive taking into account I was at 3600 AMSL, fully geared and with a medium/small bag in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. jlw

jlw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 xchallenge used for sale within a few hours of my house. Both with about 20,000 kms on them. Both 2007.

Should I be concerned about parts availability when considering the purchase of a 6 year old and discontinued model?

Are there any other items to consider when thinking about such a bike?

thanks
  10. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey: I put over 17K Miles on my X with the air shock. Appx 10 enduros, 5 or 6 RallyMoto's and miles and miles of sand whoops with no issues.

Jack
  11. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    Replaced mine at 13,000 miles along with both sprockets. Original rear sprocket only lasted 5,000 miles. 95% pavement. Clean every few hundred with WD-40 then lube with PJ-1.
  12. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my less than a year experience with the X, I'd say that parts its not an issue.. Every time I needed something (very few times) It was readily available or took 4 - 6 days to get to the dealer..

My bike had about 20.000 when I got it and it needed nothing but some very minor TLC.

The only serious issue I had, was having the Touratech catalog on my bedside table and falling asleep dreaming of many of those nice farkles.
    There is no cheap way out of it :lol3
  13. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I have 23K miles and am putting on the third chain set now. The chain is still in okay shape but the steel sprockets are hooked.
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

I put 20k miles on my air shock and it was still working when I pulled it for a new Sachs I found on Ebay. The shock works but has lots of quirks that make it less appealing than a coil over.

If by deflating, you mean loosing half it's air after a week, that is failure. If you mean having to add a few pounds with the hand pump every couple of weeks, that's normal.
  15. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    So far I haven't had any issues getting parts. That said, x-specific parts are typically not stocked, and in some cases need to be sent from Germany. I buy all my OEM parts through Max BMW; the longest I've had to wait was 2 - 3 weeks for a voltage regulator.
  16. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Kingston and have an x-c and usually buy my parts from Max's BMW as well....way cheaper then buying from BMW Canada. And I'm still bitter about BMW Canada wanting $500 for a recall clearance letter. Fuck them!!! I've had Max's ship parts to my home and had them shipped to a UPS drop station across the boarder. Parts are still readily available....no problems there.
    As for items to consider...ride the bike and see what you like and don't like. I've got 33k miles on mine and it's been a blast.
  17. dantroop

dantroop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was out last weekend on my xc. Rode dirt roads, fire roads and for me very challenging rocky stuff. My4th time off road. The down hill rocky stuff was very difficult for me.

Until now I've held a neutral position on the air shock. After this weekend I'm leaning to a conventional shock. I'm 5'7". I think the air shock may be adding to my struggles off road due to the shock trying to buck me up the second any weight is lifted( like when paddling down a rocky slope.

Has anyone experienced this and made the change? Did it help?
    C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  18. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a characteristic of the air shock. Progressive springs also have a bit of this IMO. If you find it really bothersome you should probably consider a straight rate spring. Just my $.02
  19. keiPHadventure

keiPHadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought 17" rims and spokes for my XCh... Sorry, my bad. :D A simple supermoto conversion. At the very least helps me put one foot down at stop lights. :rofl
  20. keiPHadventure

keiPHadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really? Then maybe the air shock isn't everyone's cup of tea. I'll try to keep it for as long as I can and see what happens! Is there a way to have the air valve replaced? Cause I'm thinking that's where the deflation comes from...