BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek1OUCH!:eek1

I've definitely had lotsa practice....I know!!!
  2. keiPHadventure

keiPHadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow... I'm drooling with envy here! I wish it were easy to go visit other countires from here. Great work with your bike, too! I hope I can get my own XCh to that level someday soon, it's gorgeous!
  3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. dantroop

dantroop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll be working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  5. tommyvdv

tommyvdv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. crispy duck

crispy duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone using Kriega luggage on thier Xchallenge? I am specifically looking at probably a US20 and US 10, or more likely a US30, and a US 20 or 10
    Looks like good soft luggage that is water proof and then in the future when i find some pannier racks I can use them along with some hard bags

Its a bit spendy but seems like it will serve my purpose for 5-10 trip with a tent on top and some food in my back pack
    Thanks
  8. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here ya go...

[​IMG]
    IMG_0723 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_2971 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_2981 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_5840 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3024 by MaletaBG, on Flickr

This is one US-20 in the middle and US-10 on each side of US-20. Very solid combo. Fully waterproof. When its mounted all the way back, on the luggage rack, I can move my ass enough to the back, for some semi-hard riding. Its not healthy for subframe, I know. But unless it brakes, I wont buy new one, so... :)
  9. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I'm finding my XChallenge to be too much bike for what I'm using it for lately. I would love to keep it and add another, but she said I have to let it go if I get another dual sport. I have been looking at the Husky TE 310 and KTM 350 EXC-F. I'd prefer a Husky, but I'm worried about parts in the future. Then there is the fact I really don't want to get rid of her, but something lighter and less powerful has it's merits. I rarely ride long stretches on road where the 650 has it's advantages. Maybe she'll never notice another bike in the garage..... :D

Any help guys? :beer
  11. chokozip

chokozip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ask for forgiveness not permission:rofl

Sean
  12. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I've done that before so I know it works. But I'm so torn on what to do. Most of my riding is tight stuff where the 650 feels too heavy and too powerful for me. I just looked up the Yamaha WR250R and it doesn't look bad, but it's 295 pounds. I believe the G650X is only 320-ish, right? So not much lighter, but less power for sure. The KLX250S is way too on road. The suspension is a big let down. The KTM 350 might be the best option, but I really don't want to spend $10k on a dual sport right now. Agggh, this is tough. I know I'd miss the XC as soon as I sell it.
  13. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

Why I didn't sell mine when I got the bug. I just bought another bike and told the wife it was hers. Of course she wrecked it riding it the first couple of times, but small price to pay.
  14. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I'm sorta over my XCH & would sell it. I'm not giving it away, but it is very nice. I'm close enough for a easy fly and ride or a meet up and exchange.
  15. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I still have mine so I wouldn't need another one. Thanks though.
  16. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Scott wrote : I'm sorta over my XCH & would sell it. I'm not giving it away, but it is very nice. I'm close enough for a easy fly and ride or a meet up and exchange.

SO who is selling and whatttya want for them? I have a person interested, price dependent of course....:deal
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    The XC is 318 dry to be on the $. As for power to size I know when I run a 14 tooth in the front it helps a lot on the tight trails and like you I haven't been doing lots of hi-way riding so it was worth the switch. In fact it makes it feel so much better on the tight stuff I was considering going down in gearing even more to see how I like it... much less $ than a new bike and might help depending on how/what your riding?

The other thing that helped my bike a lot on the trails was to upgrade the suspension so I didn't have the air bag any more, but that isn't cheap so might not be the best option if your considering a different bike. The last thing that has made a big change was to change handle bar position up and rotated forward, considering changing the bars out all together for a different stile but not sure what I want yet.

Have done some intermediate trails with it that way and it did good but was still quite the workout. :huh

My fix for hard riding was to get a used trials bike, learn to ride it as cross training and aggressive trails. Way fun!!! Then again my wife has a dual sport, a trials bike and let me get a trials bike for the kid so I may not be the best example there... :evil

Good luck figuring it out.
  18. ClutchCargo55

ClutchCargo55 650XChallenge

Oddometer:
    Ditto jonny's comments. I got the XChallenge, found it way too big for aggressive trails - fun, but large, TALL, heavy and exhausting (especially after picking it up several times). Kept the XChallenge, but bought a KTM250 which was WAY more fun on trails, but WAY TOO small for any significant highway mileage.

Since then, I've had the XChallenge at the top of 12,000+ ft Jeep trails in the Rockies and at the bottom of Copper Canyon in Mexico and many places in between. My KTM never made it out of my immediate locale except on a trailer.

The XChal is an absolutely great medium duty DUAL SPORT (with some modifications). It is NOT an easy TRAIL bike. It is also not an around the world expedition machine.

Every bike has it's pros and cons. Define your primary mission first, then pick your ride. (Or build a bigger garage and fill it with niche machines):rofl
  19. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! We can go ANYWHERE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every bike "needs" improvements but what better starting point than an XCh or XCo? Proof = someone going there on one, more than once.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638
    Lots of threads talk about the parts and repairs challenges each make and model of bike has on the various continents. No perfect anything.
  20. Herbivore63

Herbivore63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My experience is limited to ordering a Kriega US-5 and sending it back. Based on my actual measurements after receiving it, it had less than 40% of the advertised volume. In addition to the size issue, access was challenging. The design of the zipper limited the size of what can be easily put in it. It was decent quality, but the sizing made it completely unworkable for me. I recommend that you go to a dealer and check the size and functionality in person rather than ordering it. I know there are a lot of people very happy with Kriega, but after paying for shipping both ways due to highly questionable advertised specs, I was less than impressed. Just my $0.02 worth...