BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Boughton

Boughton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a step by step tutorial on adjusting the valves on the x challenge? I'm also looking for the service intervals of oil changes and general maintenance.

Thanks,
  2. Tracks1

Tracks1 Arctic Rider

Oddometer:
    From Page one of this Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335086
  3. casperghst42

casperghst42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I picked up a 2007 xCh some weeks ago, and am enjoying it. But one of the previous owners had small hands and decided to bend the clutch lever, and ran it with the clutch not fully engaged.... needless to say the clutch is shot. It kind of lurging when I pull off (bite,nothing,bite,nothing.... until it finally engages).

So I need to change it.

But what would be the best option an ECB or an OEM. The OEM is more expensive, and the ECB allows me to run full synthetic oil, hmmmm....

Casper
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll probably go for the aftermarket in mine shortly.
  5. Boughton

Boughton Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. tbarstow

Oddometer:
  7. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
  8. cobrakai

cobrakai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I've been having this issue lately with my ABS.

It will just randomly turn off after many miles of riding - the red light will illuminate. Sometimes it will illuminate solid when just starting the bike, causing me to have to power cycle the bike.
  9. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

After a quick look at the DVD it appears that you're going to have to plug it in to get the fault code and fixes.
  10. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Gotta say thanks to everyone who answered in this thread. I've hit it about 30 times over the last week. Right now the bike it apart getting ready for LAB2V.

I came up with a dollar store swing arm pivot puller for the right hand side. It's a simple 2" u-bolt with a hole drilled in the cross bar to accept the bold that threads into the pivot.

tbarstow, you riding LAB2V this year?
  11. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Not planning on it. I can go ride all of that stuff for free any day of the year.

Be prepared for lots of sand and racers on little dirt bikes roosting you and trying to stuff you in corners. Then run them over on the wide open sections where they don't have enough speed.
  13. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would appreciate a picture of Hepco&Becker pannier rack, left side upper mounting point. I need some ideas on how to fabricate pannier rack, but I cant find any picture showing left side...
  14. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Let me know if that is what you need. I can take more from whatever angle you want... It is on an XCo, but same system..
    Matt

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
  15. Perun

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It will be enough for now, I will kindly ask for more if I stuck somewhere in design.
  16. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Yep, been there. Last year I was separated in a narrow section from my two riding buddies behind, well, let's just say slower economy models. By the time I got out of the narrow section and around the cast iron, my buddies had taken a wrong turn (never trust GPS) and I ended up passing them too.

I have the bike prepped with the exception of the upper chain roller that disappeared somewhere on the ET500 and changing out the aux tank. I also have a swing arms bearings on order, but I don't know if I'll change them before I go or not.

Any suggestions on routing spare cables? I've tied a spare throttle and clutch cable to the existing one and the engine end it fine. The ends near the controls are the issue. I've tucked them in behind the cowl but that may not be the best spot.

m
  17. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Just route them with the existing cables. Wrap the ends up good to keep the sand and silt out of them.

Have a spare air filter so you don't have to clean it in the hotel room, or add a piece of unifilter foam over the intake to help keep it clean.

I wouldn't worry about the bearings, unless they are loose or crunching before the ride. Half of the problems people have on LAB2V are due to lack of normal maintenance. If you have enough gas range, skip the intermediate fuel stops to get out of the crowd.

Keep your GPS zoomed in to about 800 feet. I prefer to run Track Up, so the blue line is in front of me. Also adjust the color to something you can see that stands out, as the dry lakes and creek beds are shown with water on the GPS.
  18. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    I'm finding I ride my X a lot less on road and am finding the TKC80's wanting in the mud and corn fields. I'm ordering a set of Pirelli MT21's and can't wait to try them out. I realize blacktop is going to be worse, but I should see a marked improvement off road. I bought the dual sport book they sell on just about every gear website and the author made a great point. 60/40 or 50/50 tires are bad everywhere. Either get a street tire or go aggressive knobbies, so I'm going with the dedicated off road tires. I'm excited to see how it transforms the already excellent off road XChallenge. :clap
  19. Perun

Oddometer:
    If you look for DOT legal off road tyre, next time try Pirelli Scorpion XC Mid Hard. I am on my second set and I will stick to them. Excellent for off road, the are OK on pavement...
  20. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    The knobbies do a lot better on the road than you'd think. They stick like glue. The only thing you'll notice is that once the front starts to wear, you'll get a bit of headshake on the pavement because the tire wants you to go around the center knob instead of directly over it.