BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    At one point I was using a spring to attach the bottom left of the GL so it would take the heat from the header and the exhaust. I attached it somehow to the passenger peg mounting holes.
  2. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever break off the sproket bolt?
    How'd you fix it?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  3. Nordicdoc

Nordicdoc Rover & Beemer VT

Oddometer:
    I have a Shorai LFX19A4 and it works great

Here's the quote from the folks there who are uber helpful and updated their website back in January 2015 when I contacted them

"Although the any of the LFX14 models except the LFX14L2-BS12 should be adequate, the BMWs tend to have more key-off draw and plus it being a 650 single, we would rather recommend a larger battery for you."
  4. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Ebay'd up some Moto Guzzi V7 levers - $27 shipped for two brake levers (requested two brakes since I know the clutch side won't fit). Same quality as the pazzo's I paid 5x as much for on the big KTM. Definitely ordered blue, but it could use a little KTM orange to go with the KTM bars I suppose. Now I just need to figure out the clutch side. Anybody know if what other bikes the clutch lever is on. I tried to order Tuono 125 levers but it didn't fit. It is pretty close so barring another $27 ebay find, I suppose I can get them machined to really fit.
    [​IMG]
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I never broke one of those. I'd start with buying a left twist drill bit. Heat the end of the shaft carefully, and start using the left twist drill bit.
  6. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1.

Some manufacturers just suggest their "equivalent" battery - i.e. they will suggest their "10Ah Pb equivalent" battery for the XCh. While this battery will be light and tiny, it won't have near the reserve capacity and will have trouble turning the engine when temps get low.

I was able to fit an EarthX 18 battery. It still has less reserve capacity than stock, but starts the bike just fine in 30 degree weather. Even an "oversized" lithium battery will only weigh about 1/4 of the stock battery.
  7. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Thanks TB.
    I'm gonna take it to a machine shop. Hopefully they can get it out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  8. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. ced40

ced40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont like where my straps. I wish I had the passenger foot pegs.

Attached Files:

10. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    Just finished this yesterday. 200km ride today running D606 and a 49 tooth rear, getting 50MPG or 18.6l per 100km. DSC_0280.JPG DSC_0281.JPG DSC_0278.JPG DSC_0279.JPG
  11. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    Yes that was the inspiration:D Just couldn't get the colour i wanted in a pressure pack. :nah Plus its looks a little effeminate in that shade:lol2
  13. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty close to Tiffany Blue. The jeweler not the stripper. :D
  14. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For now I used a hose clamp, swivel d-rings, and an aluminum can. Worked great for 600 miles over some tough terrain.

[​IMG]Packed Up by Matt Krepp, on Flickr

[​IMG]Untitled by Matt Krepp, on Flickr
    keepshoveling likes this.
  15. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    I have a leo vince pipe on my bike. Does anyone have the "quiet" insert for it, or at least a photo so i can make it up? Or failing all that can anyone make a suggestion for a quieter pipe? I have an oem but its pretty bashed up.
  16. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm glad to hear of a positive experience with a Shorai lithium battery.

I avoid them. I've had too many first-hand testimonials from owners who have experienced cold weather problems with them. I know of two dealers who stopped selling them due to such issues. One of my close friends and G650 riders bought one, against my advice, and touted its light weight etc for about 2 months until cold weather set in. Within two weeks he removed it from his 650 and returned it for a refund.

More than one factory-sealed AGM battery is on the market that provides great service. Yes, they weigh more than a lithium but they won't leave you stranded. I have a Motobatt in another bike and it is doing fine after about 2 years.

Both of my 650's have AGM batteries and are doing great for 2+ years.

The 650 single needs a pretty spirited initial spin-over to start even with the compression relief lever in play.

If lithium works for you, then great.
  17. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not that I am advocating lithium over AGM, but if you "oversize" your lithium battery (which you should, starting CCA won't be an issue. My lithium cranks the bike better at 30 degrees than my AGM. But that is due to me using an 18Ah equivalent Lithium battery that starts off with about 50% more CCA. I imagine the colder it gets, the smaller that difference becomes. But my "oversize" lithium battery still has less reserve capacity than the stock AGM.

That said, if Odyssey made an equivalent or oversize AGM replacement, that would be in my bike. I'm not totally sold on Lithium batteries yet, but I am fairly certain they will eventually replace AGMs for most applications. I don't think you can go wrong getting a quality AGM replacement. I do think you can go wrong if you use too small of a Lithium battery.
  18. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a full winter's worth of use, but I had maybe a month of colder temps (35ish) and I found that the battery needed to warm up first which is consistent with what I read from the folks in the giant battery thread. Once it did (and it took either a crank or two or maybe 30 seconds with the lights on), it cranked just as well as it had warm. It's an odd thing and one that makes it seem like the battery doesn't want to start in the cold (crank, crank, jeez why won't this start, ok there it goes) but my understanding is that it's just a function of that kind of battery. Anyway, I also have the "oversized" version and I'll let folks know if/when it fails.
  19. GB.UK

GB.UK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the short race baffle fitted? I cut slots in the end about 25mm deep then folded them over to block any gases, put a nut and bolt in the middle, then drilled holes in the side, this quietened it down a lot without robbing to much power. The quiet insert robs it of power.
  20. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply, so if i understand this correctly, you blocked the insert ( i could do this with a cap) and then drilled holes, so the gases came out at a right angle?