BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    For anyone who replaced their fuel pump...

I would like your insight as to how you replaced the unit back into the tank. I thought I had it seated correctly, second time filling it up gas is shooting out the top. I did not use the crazy tool, and assume no else has either so what was the trick in making sure the gasket is seated? How many turns of dumb metal thing was tight enough? It does not appear at all to be threaded. Seems like a quarter to half turn would seal it then any more would unseat it.

TIA.
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to use a new gasket. The old one swells and you can't reuse it. I replaced the metal retaining ring on top as well and used the old one to tighten the new one.
  3. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    that explains a lot.....grr
  4. GB.UK

GB.UK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats about it, I drilled 5-6mm holes, uniform staggered rows, then levered than at an angle to catch the gases, not as quiet as the full quiet baffle but much quieter than the race baffle.
  5. Sh4ft

Sh4ft Beater

Oddometer:
    MATT0404 - How do you keep that big floppy license plate holder intact? Every XChallenge/Country around here the plate holder/plate light/reflector is long gone.
  6. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no idea how I've managed to keep it on there. I even used it for the Mosko Moto mounting tabs/brackets, which might add some stability when the bags are in use. I don't know why, but I have a hard time justifying $120 for a tail tidy. Anyone have DIY tail tidy ideas?
  7. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just took the tail fender/light assembly off, and screwed the license plate to the remainder of the tab. There is no light that shines down on the plate anymore, but it passed safety inspection this spring. This is an old pic. I've since switched tires and put the X Tank in place, but the rear fender is the same. For me, the problem was with the air shock. Mine leaked, and if I didn't watch it, it got low, and the whole assembly would get sucked in to the space over the rear tire. After that happened a few times, the rear fender got a little weak..
    [​IMG]
  8. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    Lets talk about rear pads, which are you using?

Here's what happened to EBC orange R-series (semi-sintered) in exactly 350 km of wet sand and earth:

[​IMG]
    (you can see how meaty they used to be below)

And the previous set after 10000 km: although doing fine for ~9900 km of road and dry dusty trails, got completely destroyed in one ride of mud and sand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What can you recommend to try with better off-road life?
  9. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    I would clean, flush, and bleed your rear caliper first. It appears to be sticking and keeping the pad against the rotor.

What does the rotor look like?
  10. motorrat

motorrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding clay covered paths in Zeeland will cost you a set of rear pads a day, but cleaning and flushing is always good (and greasing the sliding pins)
    with the worn pads removed the calliper sticks out nicely, so I clean it using WD40 and a toothbrush
    Dutchgit likes this.
  11. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Yep, always clean the piston when you change pads !
  12. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    I did a thorough clean of both calipers before the previous set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a reminder, that set lasted 10-11000 km, with critical wear occuring only in the last 200 km or so, whilst riding over wet sand. Changing pads I did not observe any binding or seizing of the pistons, but I did refresh grease on the pins and did clean the pistons with a shoelace + solvent technique.

The new pads, again, visibly wearing only when hitting wet sand, so problem is definitely compound related!
    Does anybody have good experience of long-lasting pads in WET SAND or equivalent gritty off-road conditions?
  13. ALDR

ALDR n00b

Oddometer:
  14. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    I always seemed to have the longest brake pad wear from using the OEM pads.
  15. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This happened to me today coming back from a rocky ride:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had no tools with me, not even zip ties nothing. I went home using a strap from the tail bag and was lucky because i was returning and already near tarmac and the header had not come near the coolant hose.
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to weld it back in place?
    I wouldn´t want to replace the rear subframe.
    Anyway it will be back to stock muffler for me. I don´t trust that single point atachment anymore.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    A good welder and fab guy should be able to get that back on I would think. Not 100% sure how easy or expensive, so make sure it's someone with a good reputation doing the work.
  17. trailrider71us

trailrider71us I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer:
    Typical aftermarket crap. Leo Vince does not use the factory exhaust mount that has the subframe peg that sticks out at the front of the exhaust.
    That's why the leo vince will burn through your cooling hose when it sags down too.
  18. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been carefull and it wasn't sagging down. Really wasn't expecting this. There are lots of people with leo vince and other aftermarket exhausts that don't use the subframe peg and I didn't see any reports of something like this happening.
    That hanger part must have been weakly welded.
  19. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I suppose that it might be a combination of a weak part, vibration and the exhaust being maybe under a bit of tension.
  20. Vladtux

Vladtux Been here awhile

Oddometer: