BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. GB.UK

GB.UK Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is probably my dream garage you have there.
  2. GB.UK

GB.UK Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpg image.jpg This is how my Leo came, a bit lower but the pivot seems to absorb the vibes etc
  3. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before using the stock mount I considered your way, but my rack is different and the handle stands higher so it would have to be a long strap.
    I´m trying to get a Remus bracket as it uses the same frame holes as the rear rack. That would save me the trouble of taking the subframe out to weld the hanger part. But I´m not finding it sold alone anywhere. The bracket is that steel part between the muffler and the carbon strap on this pic:
    [​IMG]
  4. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That´s new. Never seen one like that. It looks ok for a bit of flexing. Mine was maybe too tight on the hanger, with little to no flex. Extreme vibration from the rocky tracks I usually ride did the rest.
  5. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Remus still uses the stock mounting peg thing as well as that bracket though.
  6. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I know, but even using only that bracket (wich is double bolted to frame) should be better than using a (re)welded hanger. Unless I manage to break the whole frame by doing that...
    I got a response from Calsport in UK. They can order the bracket from Remus. Cost 25£. It´ll take 3-4 weeks for them to send to me though.
    I think I´ll weld the hanger and use the stock exhaust for the time being, but order the bracket anyway to go back to Leo Vince in the future.
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Fair enough. What about also welding something on to hang off the stock mounting peg too?
  8. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would make it perfect. It shouldn´t be to difficult but I have no means to do it by myself though. Still have to find an aluminium welder...
  9. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    What about just some wire attached to a big aluminum hose clamp? Should be fairly flexible but also give a bit of extra support and you could twist the wire around the peg and then the hose clamp you could cinch down pretty tightly around the muffler.

*cue tbarstow or leafman or someone coming in with a much easier, better fix*
  10. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I´m absolutely confident that the remus bracket will solve all my problems (before I thought I had a perfect setup also and look what happened :lol3). Wouldn´t do anything more, but can´t stay without the bike for the next month, so I´ll weld the hanger and use the stock exhaust (which uses the mounting peg) just to be able to ride sooner.
  11. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now this is awesome! Mine is bent too from P/O, and 10000 miles and spills later, its still there ok. So im not touching it, but thank you for the genius idea :D
    Dutchgit likes this.
  12. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...on topic of FARFS, I fasten my emergency bungee cord around the rear rack, tool bag and under the under-tail (reinforcing the top portion of the flappy fender). Seems to do the trick as I do a lot of fast gravel and moderately ugly single-track. (Also giving me peace of mind that the heavy tool pouch carrying spares, levers, tube, etc. isn't going anywhere.
  13. gqelements

Oddometer:
    KO'ed my ride today due to chugging/clunking from the engine area when decelerating to a stop while in gear with clutch pulled in. When in motion, clunking disappears, shifting works OK, but finding Neutral is a pain (as i hear it is on most of these bikes).

Tried adjusting the clutch play screw on the perch (screwing it OUT), but it's almost at maximum and the last little but is stripped, so not staying put, but for the time that it does, seems to help.... Any suggestions/diagnosis?

(bike has less than 10K, oil changed w/in 2K, no other troubles prior. In my non-mechanical eyes, it feels like the clutch may not be engaging 100% due to the cable being stretched-out [and not being able to adjust further] causing gears to clank on each other???)

Any help would be appreciated.
  14. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Finally got in some more time on the BMW and ran up to Argentine Pass & McClellan Mtn today...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your clutch cover has finally worn.
  16. gqelements

Oddometer:
    In 10k km?
    1) Can someone please point me to a detailed explanation of the fix? I'm mechanically inept, completely confused by the search results :(
    2) Does the OEM route now use the updated (fixed) materials?
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have someone mechanically inclined verify that the cover is wallowed out and not an internal transmission problem.
    Get the OEM fix. It is a new cover and bearings. There is a specific parts list as part of the recall.
  18. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    MSR shift lever bends
    [​IMG]
  19. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    You will need the clutch cover for the 2009 XCountry. That has a steel bush in it.
  20. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7000Km in my case.