BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Scalex

Scalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A quick but urgent and very original question. In the middle of Turkey right now with some bike issues. "Of course" didn't correctly mark which spark plug connector is which and can't identify them right now. Plus limited internet access.... in case somebody comes to the rescue it will be much appreciated... not dure what hapoens if you exchange thmm and sure this has been covered before ; but search in this conditions is tremendously difficult and slow.... when you get it to work at all.

That said, I'm having abnirmallly high fuel consumption, like 6l/100km or 5,5 if i'm careful... and power doesn't seem to be there neither...

Edit, managed to complete the search thanks to a nice turkish dude with a decent internet connection. Any comments are appreciated anyway.
  2. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    According to snooker, primary is black and secondary is grey. If you're talking about wires,
  3. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    two posts in a row. I cannot internet.
  4. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check air filter. It´s typical of a dirty one.
  5. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer is not being helpful, looks like i'm on my own. Getting conflicting parts lists from below links, can someone who has done this, please help clarify what part # required?

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/280694-Clutch-mechanism-failure-(Again
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-400524.html
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/248614-G650-XChallenge-any-clutch-problems
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-g650x-challenge-thread-index.335086/page-95

Parts:
    Needle sleeve: T99L00N
    Operating Shaft: T21500
    Set of clutch Disks: T212A2
    Release Bearing: T21500
    Shaft Seal: T99DooTW
    Gasket: T99D00TG
    Clutch Rel. Fork Lever: T21500
    Needle Sleeve: T99L00N
    New design clutch housing

Versus the following:

PUMA Measure US-22898888-02 replaces the following parts--

Clutch Disks 21217700413
    Operating Shaft 21217700306
    Needle sleeve 21217701501
    Release Bearing 21217709526
    Shaft Seal 21217700173
    Clutch Release Fork Lever 21217700227
  6. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me they replaced my old parts with all of this:

Clutch Disks 21217700413
    Operating Shaft 21217700306
    Needle sleeve 21217701501
    Release Bearing 21217709526
    Shaft Seal 21217700173
    Clutch Release Fork Lever 21217700227 (edit: this wasn´t needed, the old part was used)
    +
    Clutch cover 11147700331

I had to pay for everything + oil change + labour, as bmw didn´t accept my warranty claim because the bike had not been serviced by them on the regular yearly intervals.
  7. Scalex

Scalex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Sensible option indeed. I haveboth uniflter filter and prefilter, brand new... checked them anyway and they looked ok.

One thing that may have happened is th cover (only the outer one fitted, as it should), being squashed by my tank bag onto the prefilter. I will seelater when I can ride again, but the cover had an oily patch inside...
  8. Sh4ft

Sh4ft Beater

Oddometer:
    Man, that MSR lever looks beefy, you might want to examine your shifter shaft to make sure it's straight....

asdf
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also check the vacuum cap on the throttle body where the evaporation cannister line hooks in.
    Scalex likes this.
  10. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I did; it's fine. It's bendy aluminum.
  11. Travlr

Travlr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Removal of subframe will be required, obviously. Any metal fab shop that can weld aluminum will be able to complete the work. I re-enforced the frame with gusset plates to prevent this and other issues. Make a template out of cardboard that goes around the muffler mount to increase the amount of weld holding it in place. I have pics somewhere but will have to find them. This re-enforcement also allows for carry a bit of luggage without worries of cracking subframe.

12. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    Re clutch cover ,post 8589 You should be fine with just the new cover for the 09 cross country, [not sure if that is the part # jdwhite posted] unless the are some broken bits as well. I repaired my cover with a bushing, and am still on the original clutch plates at 68000 km.
  13. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the bike only a few weeks and didn´t know much about it when the clutch problem became serious. It was the dealer that said clutch plates had to be replaced and I agreed without seeing. They handed me the old parts and by looking at the clutch plates I couldn´t see any significant wear. Probably I could go on using those but didn´t know better then.
  14. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The subframe is out now and I will take to a welder today. Sure try to get some kind of reinforcement because as it is it´s just a ring with a bit of weld on top.
  15. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Oil Question (and I apologize in advance for any religious wars - I really didn't come looking for trouble!)

A couple days ago I changed the oil. I'd been experiencing some pretty clunky shifting and all the discussion of clutch bushings made me a little nervous so I thought I'd try changing the oil before going full-on-panic mode. The oil in there had been the cheapest dino 10w40 I could find from a reputable brand (I think rotella, but it was either them, valvoline or mobil either way it was pretty standard stuff). I only had about 1500 miles on that oil change but a fair amount of time on more challenging terrain where the engine was revving a lot and it was pretty hot. When I changed the oil I used motul 300v 10w40. Now comes the part where I can't tell if I'm being crazy or if there's some other problem with the bike and was hoping for some input from other folks.

After changing the oil, shifting got a whole lot less clunky and the engine and exhaust got noticeably cooler. The shifting I feel OK attributing just to new oil but the cooling off is perplexing. It's cooler enough that before I felt like I really needed to add a heat shield on the header near my leg and now when I'm moving I don't feel any ambient heat at all from the header. The engine also sounds much smoother both throughout the rev range and at speeds ranging from 0-fast.

So... wtf? Is it possible I'd just gotten a bad batch of oil or was really late on an oil change? Something else going on? Am I just slowly descending into madness? Anyone else have experience with something similar or a reasonable explanation?
  16. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a source for Unifilters for the Xchallenge? Touratech has them but they want $16 for shipping. I'm having trouble justifying $73 shipped for an air filter.
  17. SchillerM

SchillerM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have local BMW dealer order it. Parts I ordered from mine didn't have shipping.
    Matt
  18. PartTimeTravel

PartTimeTravel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have you tried buying directly from unifilter? http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/p5815.html
  19. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Good news and bad news... You can buy them from adventuremotorcycle.com.au and Darin over there is a pleasure to deal with. The bad news is they aren't cheaper, but at least you can buy the prefilter too.
  20. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback, guys. I sent Darin an email to purchase the air filter and pre-cleaner.