BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    i have a choice between trailering my X and riding it 300 miles each way to an event. I would need to do a significant chunk of that on the highway. From those that have ridden hundreds of road miles in a day, how does the X perform ? Would you avoid such a trip ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. gwl

gwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that the x is great on the road. you may want t buy a slip stream wind screen but other than that I say g for it.
  3. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Which seat do you have? This is important.
  4. gwl

gwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both but only use the motoshort seat because I am short
  5. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    I have ridden mine much further. That's only three tanks of gas. On the stock seat. Enjoy the time filling up the tank :)
  6. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any links to buy headlight guard cover like the Touratech clear one that seems to no longer be available?
    (yes i tried to search the webs and this thread but found not much...)
  7. lsellers

lsellers a DSRIDER

Oddometer:
    Everyone's comfort level is different. I've ridden over 1000 miles in a day on road (and on separate 1000 mile trips on dirt and other trips mixed) on the stock seat. I start shifting cheeks/positions before I need to and the benefit of having a small gas tank is being forced to get off, fill up and take a break. Your bum may vary.
  8. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior to upgrading my seat and adding a wind screen, yes I would have avoided such a trip. However, after upgrading to the Seat Concepts seat and adding the Parabrisis screen, I would do it without hesitation.
  9. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    any seat works with an airhawk
  10. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have the stock seat, and a sheepskin ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Powershouse likes this.
  11. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    So I broke my only key in my fuel cap today. Does anyone know if any old locksmith will have the correct blanks to be able to extract the broken key and cut a new one? Or should I order an eBay blank first?

Also, if there is some kind of alternative to this fuel cap I haven't heard of, I would love to hear about it. I'm really bummed Touratech no longer makes one because I would pay for it at this point.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  12. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay... I don't check ADV very regularly these days... but I tried to gather all of this on one place about the '09 XCountry clutch cover: LINKY
    Let me know if it helps.
  13. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you find the sheepskin?

I have one waiting to go on. Only problem is my bike is waiting in Buenos Aires. The sheepskin arrived a bit too late, meaning I have to carry it through the airport.
  14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    The longest ride I've done in a day is ~450 miles. Mix of highway and some dirt. I have a renazco seat and it was fine, just a bit tired at the end of the day. I would guess if you find sheepskin + regular seat comfortable you'll be fine.

If, halfway through, you're not fine then I suggest the following mantra: "fuck that guy on the Internet for giving me bad advice, fuck that guy on the Internet for giving me bad advice." Repeat as necessary.
  15. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    You need a match from BMW. You'll need your VIN and a slew of other crap to prove ownership. It will not be fun. HOW DOES HE KNOW? YOU ASK well...

I have broken three keys off in the gas cap. After the first, I made sure my wife held onto one of my spares. I made four.

To prevent this from happening a fourth time, once a month or so I remove the gas cap and disassemble the lock mechanism. I lube it with graphite and reassemble. Before putting it back on the bike I make sure it moves smooth and free. You'd be surprised at the difference in rotation.

In one instance on my X Country the key would not turn the lock at all. Nothing like being out of gas at a gas station and being unable to fuel up. Doh!
  16. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I am relatively new to the X, and had not heard of that screen before. Is there a US supplier ?
  17. fawudd

fawudd Traveler

Oddometer:
    I have used it on my bigger GS for long trips. It helps over any stock seat IMHO, but it is no sub for a proper upgraded seat. I was a skeptic and only bought one because it was in the $20 bin from Alaska Leather at a rally. It has been surprisingly effective. However, as someone here has already said, YMMV.
  18. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to remove temp sensor? Is there a release on the plastic part somewhere that attaches to the metal part? I know real educated terms there. Problem is fan runs all the time and never shuts off. PO wired a shut off switch on to handle bar but I am looking to find the actual problem and restore to stock. Thinking it has to be a bad sensor. Thanks!!

image.jpg
  19. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
  20. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's better than the alternative. I just gave them a call.

Unfortunately, there is a section of the plastic shelf the lock mechanism rides in where it slides into the cap that has worn down. It has a track carved into it which causes it to bind.