BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Wake up Toby, I know it's Sunday but Monday is only a few hours away :lol3

The wheels are unique to the X bikes. I know it's hard to believe :lol2
  2. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil which was kind of silly and took it over Jones Pass before winter comes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    Noch sind Semesterferien ;)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  4. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    That's what I suspected...just a through-hole then! With some difficulty for stones and chips passing through, not so for the fuel spilling out. Actually, thinking about it again, that is probably a good thing since it will allow for fuel expansion due to heat and exchange with main tank. Not building up dangerous flammable fumes' pressure.
    The vent hose is located above the tank near the rear tailpiece. If that is where all that dirt comes from, I shall install an inline fuel filter and see if that cures the problem. If not- must be through the gascap...
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

A filter between the two tanks shouldn't hurt but I try to not impede fuel flow at all on this route. If you have a problem with dirt entering your auxiliary fuel tank, I advise addressing that issue. Just add one of the weedeater filters that I showed to the end of your vent line from the aux tank.

The things look tailor-made for this purpose. I have them on both my 650's.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_317693-442-490-202-0003___?productId=3139719&pl=1&Ntt=fuel+filters

6. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those are some great pictures thanks for posting!
  7. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like a blast, and some seriously stunning scenery there. Thanks for sharing.
  8. motociclistaffamato

motociclistaffamato Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a cheap solution for rear suspension, do you know a model which can be mounted on my xchallenge? I don't know, I was thinking about a stock ktm suspension or honda or something else? Not a new expensive model. The wheelbase is 37 cm. I'm very happy if you can help!
    Hungry regards
    Bye
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    not sure about other brands, but if you can find a used shock from an X country or and X Moto it would mount right up...

If you do and X country I seem to remember the 2007 shock is a bit longer than the 08 or 09 X country. :dunno

Best of luck.
  10. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I think tbarstow has an old rear suspension in his for sale thread that you could rebuild. I don't know about shipping to italy though.
  11. motociclistaffamato

motociclistaffamato Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, the original air system is very bad in extension, now I use this but I'm not satisfied and I don't want to spend a lot of money for ohnlins or wilbers, there are for professional bikers.
    Hungry regards
    Bye

Da tapa talk Affamato
  12. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First time I've had issues with a dead battery but something tells me it might be another issue.
    This weekend I rode 200 miles and the battery was fine, it was constantly around 13.5 -14v
    I stopped by gas and went to start it and this happened. Total power loss. The dash would flash 1.9 and go blank. Tried bump starting it to no luck and thankfully a Brittish guy on a Harley offered a jump. It started right up and I rode another 250 miles home. It's started up no problem the past two mornings. Any diagnostic ideas for what caused that?

13. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Check the earths, check the battery too. It might be on its last legs. Also worth checking the starter relay.
  14. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Agreed, and a multimeter should help you diagnose this a lot better than some guy (it's me, I'm the guy) on the Internet saying "looks like the battery. I know because I've had a battery in all the things I've ever ridden."

Edit: all your fuses OK?
  15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Was that 13.5 to 14 from the stock dash or a direct battery check at the terminals? If the dash chek the batter out of the bike, if less than 13.5 it's suspect.
  16. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmmm.. no. those are huge by comparison.. anyway, called 2 local BMW shops and the mechanics can't think of where it came from. maybe a relic from another bike or another part of this bike (eeeek). Going to assemble the beast this weekend and hope for the best. thanks everyone for your help.

17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Without knowing anything else, I would be highly suspicious of the battery. These bikes are extremely sensitive to battery voltage. If a battery weakens or ceases to properly take a charge, the voltage can drop when the battery is called upon to start the motor. This could easily happen, even after a long run. If that happens, the symptoms described above are typical. You will lose your trip odometer readings and your clock etc.

Start the bike and connect your own voltmeter to the battery terminals to see if appropriate voltage is making its way there, 13.5-14.2. If so, I expect the battery is going bad.

I have tried several different batteries in my XCo. I currently am running one of the new Yuasa sealed AGM FACTORY ACTIVATED batteries, YTZ10-S. The 190 Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) of these batteries are way above most other cross-referenced batteries. The Amp Hour (AH) rating is also superior. The published spec on AH is 8.6 but my battery has been stamped 9.1 AH at the factory.

Be cautious of inexpensive substitute batteries that are prone to quote the Yuasa specs while the substitute itself doesn't actually meet those specs. Everybody seems to have adopted Yuasa nomenclature for battery numbers etc.

Yes, the Yuasa is much more expensive but, given the critical factor of the very small battery on these bikes, I suggest giving them a strong consideration.

My guess is a strong new battery will cure your problems and end your need to pester our helpful H-D riders out and about the roadways of America.

Ironically, I have been helped several times by H-D riders whenever I was broken-down on one of several BMW's out on the road. They have always been very nice to me.

18. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    ADVFord...the first thing I do is pull the battery, remove both leads and clean the connectors, file or brush, reconnect making sure the suckers are tight. A lot of my problems with various bikes have been solved this way....plus i always have a small set of jumper cables with me now
  19. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    I have had this issue when the wires in the ignition have rattled a bit loose. You can sorta figure this out if you turn the bars and recreate the non start, or conversely if it won't start turn the bars and it does start.
  20. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a multimeter last night and will do all of the above after work. Of course I had mini jumper cables but unpacked them before this latest trip I thought "i've never used these, the battery is great!" :doh