BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's how it should have come from LV to begin with. Remus at least got that part right to start with.

You can also reheat the cover using my patented "boiling water in the frying pan" technique and quickly press the bearings in or a heat gun on the outside of the cover. A bit of grease in the hole and on the exterior of the bearing to start with will help quite a bit too.
  2. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all the pointers you have provided throughout this thread and others on this bike. I know it has helped me immensely on several occasions.
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    That's the great thing about fora, there's almost always someone who's done it already :wings
    tbarstow likes this.
  4. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Hey... I have all my plastics off and air/battery box removed to run power for the gps and want to clean the actuator but cant find the read on this at the moment!
    Also notice the throttle body has a sticky film on the inlet??? Clean this too? How?
    Thanks
  5. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Take the actuator out and clean it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner or such.
    Take the throttle body off (leave fuel line attached) and clean it the same way as the TB. Also clean the hole and ports of the actuator.

Don't forget to re-attach both electrical plugs for idle actuator and throttle position sensor or it won't run right.
  6. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    DEAL! Thanks
    Dutchgit likes this.
  7. Delta61

Delta61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Davo11

Davo11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help me decide.....
    I am looking for more fuel capacity for my X
    Do you go the Tourtech for max range or the xtank from hot rod???
    Similar price for both (landed in OZ).
    Inmates thoughts and experiences please
    Cheers
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    The range on my Tourtech is amazing, but I don't ride that hard often. If I was doing more aggressive rides often or had needed to ship both I might have picked up an xtank instead. (I lived near Seattle at the time and able to go down to Tourtech USA and pick up a tank local and would have needed to ship and xtank. )

I will ride the tank almost empty and close it off to ride more aggressive local trails and fill it up for adventure rides. Love mine... Would I get one again? I think so, but would still like to try the xtank...

Good luck making the call.
  10. The Crow

The Crow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an IndustryX on mine which is similar to the Xtank. Rode a X with a Touratech tank and wasn't crazy about it. All that extra weight when full must have an effect on the fork's performance.

Haven't toured with it or gave it a good bash off road, but didnt feel nice. The IndustryX I don't even notice - whether empty or full. Works like a dream and the extra range is great.
  11. Davo11

Davo11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Crow
    Where are the industryX tanks made and what is the fuel capacity or combined distance from tanks. Both the Tourtech and Xtank will cost around the $900 AUD.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I've got the X tank. I wasn't very fond about having all that weight up front as the front on the X already is heavy enough IMHO.
    If you have your tools on the bashplate you certainly don't want to add more weight up front if you are riding in soft sand and mud.
    blaster11 likes this.
  13. jdwhite

jdwhite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have the 6,5l xtank. I think the touratech tank is too big and tranforms the bike too much, making it also too big.
    The extra fuel gives me about 350km autonomy and taking it easy it can go for 400km.
    Other advantages are the fact that it´s a very clean install, the subframe gets stronger and you won´t block access to the air filter.
    Ducksbane, Dutchgit and blaster11 like this.
  14. trailrider71us

trailrider71us I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer:
    I am an XTank fan also. Can go 230 miles or more. I didn't run out at 235 anyway.
    Will fit with some pannier and rear rack mounts. Had to space my touratech system out an xtra 1/2" to fit it.
    blaster11 likes this.
  15. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a little insight on checking valve clearances. I have the valve train exposed but at no time can I get the indicators on the cam gears parallel and fit shims underneath. The only time I can fit shims underneath, the indicators are nowhere near parallel and I get the following readings:

Exhaust = 0.3, 0.3
    Intake = 0.09, 0.06

Does this sound right?

Also, there appears to be some wear on the idle actuator. Any idea if this will impact performance?

image.jpeg
  16. Twinmike

Twinmike Grandpa

Oddometer:
    Xtank is better for Offroad
    mine is like a Xtank but selfmade 8 Liter more and work fine
    important is, the fuel cap from the main Tank must be airtight

[​IMG]
    advFord and trailrider71us like this.
  17. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Lobes on the cam should point forward on exhaust cam and backward on intake cam. Piston at TDC.
    The play you measured is fine.
    Wear on the idle valve is nothing to worry about.
  19. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to double check my measurements and cam lobe orientation tonight just for peace of mind before buttoning everything back up.
  20. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    fwiw,
    [​IMG]
    Dutchgit likes this.