1. eNewsletter Sign Up

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Yukon Ho!

Yukon Ho! We can go ANYWHERE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate to risk losing any fellow inmates who know x-bikes better than I do. So this is for the rest of y'all: Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Damn I shouldn'ta said it...
    Dutchgit likes this.
  2. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I like the Husky. I can't afford it so I'll keep adding the odd farkle every now and then.
    Besides, we'd have to get two new bikes as my wifey having the same bike as me will save on parts and tools.
    jdwhite, seasider and blaster11 like this.
  3. trailrider71us

trailrider71us I can't b fired,only sold

Oddometer:
    3 electric ride modes,ABS standard, and a plastic subframe, and that whole rear plastic subframe fuel tank thing is ugly.
    And I would rather have a throttle cable on my back country travel bike than ride by wire.
    flying.moto, seasider and cmiguelq like this.
  4. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    I modified the OEM tail, posted some pics last year:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/bmw-g650x-challenge-thread-index.335086/page-460#post-28331142

Another option I considered is a custom 3D-printed tail from Germany. Looks really good to me:
    http://www.michaelbense.de/g650x/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6406
  5. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Get used to the drive by wire thing. It's the way forward. The fuel map and the throttle response are improved by features like that and fuel consumption will get better.
    It's the same moving from carburators to injection. People are afraid of it because they don't know it and say they can't fix it in the field. Thing is: You probably never have to.
  6. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know ride by wire is the future, but it was not my favorite thing on the Triumph Explorer I crashed in January. I would describe the throttle as "twitchy, tweaker twitchy."
  7. opm22

opm22 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've drained all the oil with a sieve and ripped the oil filter paper apart and I've found nothing. Now I will try removing the clutch basket and search with a magnetic for the lost tooth.

ps: look what I found just inside through the drain bolt. The metal tooth would never leave the engine through here:
    [​IMG]
  8. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The filter is there to prevent the scavenger oilpump from picking up anything. The mesh is under the pick up for the pump and is not closed off on the side.

[​IMG]
  9. Ridin Dirty

Ridin Dirty What day is it?

Oddometer:
  10. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where this connector goes? I put the airbox back on last night but can't remember where this goes.

connectorL.jpg
  12. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    @MATT0404 That looks like the connector that goes underneath on the left side of the airbox. If it's not that it's one one the two that connects to the spark plugs.
  13. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Looks a lot like the spark plug pin coil connection to me. But yes could be the one under the air box as well (Though I thought that one was more round).
  14. MATT0404

Oddometer:
    It's not the one that attaches under the airbox, nor is it one of the spark plug connectors. I'll keep looking around under here. Feel like I'm missing something simple. image.jpeg
  15. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Just noticed one in the flea market here the other day. Search under xcountry or xmoto. I believe they are the same butt.

Edit: here it is
  16. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh right. That's on the left side under the frame - it connects to a cable mounted to the frame which connects to the header pipe. I think it's for the oxygen sensor.

[​IMG]
  17. MATT0404

Oddometer:
    That's it!! Thank you. Completely forgot I disconnected that to pull the valve cover. Really appreciate the help, guys.
  18. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Things learned so far in my clutch-cover replacement:

1. The 2009 XCountry operating shaft fits the 2009 clutch cover perfectly; no machining required. No huge surprise, but good to know.
    2. Having never pressed bearings in before, I'm slightly better at it than I was before I started this little project. Slightly.
    3. Some nimrod didn't install the washers under all the clutch cover bolts on my bike. Bonus, there are 8 of them and BMW wants $5 for them. Each. BonusBonus: The clutch cover washers from the Husqvarna TR650 appear to be a perfect match (I'll know for certain when they arrive; be a bit surprised if they don't, tho) and Husky only wants a buck a piece for them. Still getting screwed (it's a damn washer), just not quite so violently.
    Has anyone put together a TR650/G650X cross-reference document/spreadsheet/something ?
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Nope, not me.
    But as we've had a TR in our stables: Engine is the same bar the cilinder head and cams.
    Throttle and clutch cable from the TR can be used on the X. Clutch cable from the X can not be used on the TR as the X one is shorter.
    The rest of the bike is different. (Apart from the switch gear)
    And I mean everything is different: frame, forks, farkles, swing arm, wheels, axles, ECU, plastics, filter box.....
    keepshoveling likes this.
  20. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I took some previous lists, combined and added a bunch of items. Not specifically against the TR650, but just in general parts options.That list is posted on http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/AlternativeParts.html

Anybody have any additions or corrections let me know and i will get that list updated.

If you have the parts numbers for the washers I will get it on the list.

Wayne has parts alternates and tons of other info for the F650GS on that same site, most of them will apply to the G650 as well.
    keepshoveling likes this.