BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW: 11 14 7 708 015 WASHER 6,2 / 10,8 / 1

Husky: 7711609

It's a good bet other engine covers/washers/bolts/gaskets crossref, but I've no first hand data. If anyone were to test, it'd be good to know; the husky parts are significantly cheaper.
  2. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so here's my HDB Rallye Lite installed. I'm still in the process of machining my dash bracket but I should finish that up next week. Really impressed with everything as a kit and the light output is amazing. I'm looking forward to more seat time behind this thing.
    HDB Rallye4.jpg HDB Rallye5.jpg HDB Rallye6.jpg
    Bli55, keepshoveling, jdwhite and 4 others like this.
  3. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lead but looks lime it sold. I have one one the way.
  4. Davo11

Davo11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice look, just waiting on my TT tank and luggage rack to arrive and then the big decision of what way to go with the rally fairing. Still struggling a little with the cost verse how bloody good the look.
  5. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cost is mainly in the lights.... If you cheap out there you can still have the look at now an affordable price :)

Go for it!
  6. cmiguelq

cmiguelq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where can I buy that new rally kit, it looks great, and how much does it cost?
  7. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    Now that I know what part you got: why didn't you go to Home Depot or most other hardware stores and get a couple of M6 washers? Nothing "BMW/ Husky" special about it. I do agree $5.00 (or even $1.00) for a $0.10 washer is pretty outrageous, but I am sure BMW ships these things from Germany, stocks them somewhere on their East coast warehouse, packs them as singles in plastic baggies and overnights them to whoever needs a couple. They are special, you know, real BMW OEM washers.

Once a year I go to McMasterCarr or somebody like it and reorder my stock of various SS bolt sizes / types / lengths / washers / lock nuts. Much easier to have them around.
    keepshoveling and Dutchgit like this.
  8. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @gqelements set this up with HDB due to our unique 2 bolt handlebar mount. I believe they were making a few extra kits for those interested after the initial run. You might send Paul a PM or email to inquire. As for cost, I have about $600 in mine without the dash bracket that I'm in the process of making. The lights were $240 alone, so that is a large portion of the cost.
  9. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed; I went looking and failed to find what I was looking for. I do have an admittedly bad habit of trying to find the Right Thing; stems from a lack of experience. In this case, I know the dimensions of the original washer, but I've no idea how far from those values I can stray before the washers are no longer suitable. McMaster-Carr (and the other places I checked) don't stock a 6.2/10.8/1 aluminum washer (M-C only lists 9.9 and 11.9 OD w/ a 6.2 ID), so I opted to stay in spec. Tusk has one which is close, although it's 50% thicker than the BMW/Husky version and costs the same. I've been doing a bit of research into making my own as well; skill acquisition is rarely a bad thing. Suggestions certainly welcome; I've got a ton to learn.
  10. seasider

Oddometer:
    Shinko 700 series

Anybody run these for an inexpensive tire for general use?

[​IMG]
  11. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Run the 705. Goes down the road fine and does fine on graded dirt roads.
    seasider likes this.
  13. beemer67

beemer67 Really Old airhead

Oddometer:
    I couldn't see where they make a 140/80 x 18. Or do you run the radial 150/70?

Well, not up here in Canada, anyway.
  14. seasider

Oddometer:
    Most of the riding for me in the GW forrest is tame. Gravel and hard pack dirt so a full knobby is way over kill.
    The available rear is a 4.5 x 18 on the 700 but I think the 705 goes 140/18 with what looks like a more pavement oriented tread. I'll give it some thought.
    Really like the Sahara's bur spent my dough on suspension and other items so going cheap for now.
  15. J.chem

J.chem n00b

Oddometer:
    Where are you from??
  16. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    The 150 will work, but I would go with the 120/18. The 150 weighs too much for a 650.
  17. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I agree, you definitely notice that. Even on some 140's
  18. tbarstow

Oddometer:

The worst offender is the 908 Rally Raid. That is one heavy tire!

After using the Metzeler Sahara 3 in Baja, I know why they put that on there from BMW. Extremely light and it hooks up well, it just has no sidewall strength, so when it goes flat, you go down.
  19. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I found the Michelin Desert pretty bad as well, and wide, and tall !
    Good on dry stuff (well there's a surprise) and bloody scary on even just damp roads. Wheel spin in 4th :yikes
    flying.moto likes this.
  20. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They can't be as scary as the Pirelli Scorpion XCMH's I just put on mine a couple weeks ago. I'm afraid to lean over at all on even dry pavement with these. Although I can't wait to get them in the dirt.