BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fact that you have been able to get a frame from BMW 5 years after the bike was last imported is certainly encouraging
  3. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    It's kind of funny, but the most difficult/least available part is the 6#@$%^@(* footpegs. They're still available but you have to buy them piecemeal and it ends up being like $500. They're still making/selling everything as far as I know (and let me tell you, maxbmw loooooves me).
    octopusenvy likes this.
  4. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I, like you, have been using the Wolfman set up. While I love their durability I also would like more space. I've been looking at the Reckless 80 too.
    I'd keep the racks however. I think they support the rear subframe and protect the bike. I also gives me places to attach tool tubes etc.

You now owe me $.02

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  5. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    "The Man" kudos extended to XallengeXccepted as well. Sorry I missed and didn't mention your original post.

m
    jessehere likes this.
  6. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Giant Loop and have mixed feelings about it. It's a good, sturdy bag that will stand up to tough riding, but if packing for more than a couple of days on the trail it is too small. Snooker pointed me toward the reckless system and that is what I think I'll buy next.
  7. jdm61

jdm61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You called it right, brother. Available from your buddy Max B for the incredibly low price of $918 plus the installation parts. Call now. Operators are standing by. I was reading a thread from a couple of years back where someone in the UK was bitching about the TT version costing like $650 US equivalent and that was with 19% VAT added to the price!!!!! :rofl
  8. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of the reckless, and would like to be able to keep my racks. My only question is, will the reckless 80 fit over the racks? I measured them today and the width is 20 inches between the two racks!

That seems like it might be more than twice the width the reckless 80 was designed for.

I'm just trying to visualize how to get it all to work. I haven't found any photos of other reckless users who put them over racks, unfortunately. Which leads me to believe it wasn't really designed for that.
  9. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    what he said (XallengeXccepted)
    , also if you use the larger flange one, you need to cut off the 2 inch aluminum remote hose section from the back to make it flush.
    I used this one for my xchallenge. the other work was done with a dremel, a saws all and a cordless drill and a tap to attache the SS lanyard
    below is how mine looked before I worked it.
    Pro-werks C73-757-H2
    2 in. BLUE CAP W/ ALUMINUM REMOTE MOUNT BUNG, 2 in. HOSE
    [​IMG]
  10. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I dont kow how this compares to the coyote giant loop but sure looks better from an organization standpoint. The GL coyote works great but this may just be a bit better for access during the ride. I like it.
  11. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm like 95% of the way to placing an order for the Reckless 80 system. I just have to figure out if it will work with my racks or not.
  12. mbogage

mbogage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of getting the reckless 80 as well. I have a giant loop Great Basin but I think I like the reckless set up better. I like the beaver tail for the tent. I wonder if the reckless 40 would be big enough? I am of the less is more state of mind.
    octopusenvy likes this.
  13. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found that the GL was not wide enough to go over the TT rack, I would assume the same about the Mosko Reckless system as well. I always had the problem on the X with the exhaust location and lack of rear attachment points. With the TT rear end, I found the Wolfman bags and top duffle were the best set up for long distance + large load rides.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  14. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    You just confirmed my suspicions when I got home and did some more measurements. Doesn't look like it will be a good fit. The exhaust does stick out the side pretty far.

OK, guess I'll stick with the wolfmans for now.

Moto Mosko is supposedly working on a lighter weight side bag system to replace their Scout line for 2017. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.
  15. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    quite a few questions in a day...good stuff!

1. XchallengeXccepted took the risk on the gas cap and several of us have followed his lead and information (i bought as a spare, my cap works fine for now). Gratitude!

2. as for carry bags, i value less-is-more like other inmates. I use this inexpensive system which is roughly 40lt for week long trips or extended touring. It's 3x 10lt (12.5lt in actuality) drybags that are in a 'loop' but removable. very well made and very affordable at 200USD. Don't tempt yourself to carry over 50lt or it will weigh you and your bike down. Hard cases are false security and dangerous. Soft durable bags also protect the bike somewhat in a minor fall. GL bags are not waterproof and not easily removed/replaced. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTO-SAC-Mo...ash=item3ab158ed02:g:OIUAAOSw~gRV7Pz7&vxp=mtr

3. subframe is ok as long as weight is shifted forward in place of pillion/passenger, rather than the rack. That can be used for something light, no more than 2kg like a tent or another item. I plan to add an ADV-tank there, which is 1.6gal of extra fuel on the tail plumbed in...but only 200. Nothing else will go there when full, even tho a rack on the tank is included, and only a tent when emptied after the first 100miles. http://www.advtank.com/collections/...ducts/bmw-f800-gs-auxillary-tank-powdercoated

4. finally for the pegs...there is a guy in Germany making what I believe to be more aesthetically minimal and better pegs for 110Euro +shipping. I'm about to buy a pair and ship to the west coast. If anyone is willing, we can combine shipping up to about 3 or 4pairs. The pegs are not as large as stock, a fraction of the price, and easily packable if you don't need them. It's in german, but you get the idea. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Footrests-pa...W-G-650-X-MOTO-and-X-CHALLENGE-/282014718897?

Please let me know and start a PM with me for anyone interested in the pegs, then we can add more.

2cents x 4!
  16. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the information guys :clap
    I had a short test run with the Leovince can strapped to my rack, thus eliminating any rigid contact between the exhaust and the subframe. I was sooo smoth :clap
    Then I used the bolts to tighten the exhaust, using a piece of old 4mm air chamber to act as a damping device in the bolt-flange assembly. I would say it's OK, vibration-wise :pope
  17. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm preparing for a 3000km adventure and wanted to change the chain (with sprocket of course).

From my understanding there are two major choices: 520 chain with rivet master link and 520 chain with clip master link.
    I also would like to bring a tool on the trail in case I need to fix it: Motion pro sells individual tools for this two types of chain. The tool for the clip version is much lighter.

What do you recommend guys? Are clip types master link safe enough or it's best to have the pressed pin version? Which tools you bring along in your adventures?
  18. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    I've never had a problem with either on the road. I keep a single clip type master link in my spares. The problem I see with the clip type is that it allows changing the chain without removing the swing arm and maintaining the bearings. I ended up having to change one the day before a long trip. What a pain.
  19. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Couple of photos of the giant loop installed.

[​IMG]

Overloaded for the ET450. This is a dirt road ride in East Texas. Flat and sandy by most standards - or really sticky mud - that year we had a tropical weather system pass over us during the ride. Out of 100 or so riders that started only the XChallenge, a KTM 500 and a KLR finished. That's enough gear for camping, about 40 pounds including bivvy sack and sleeping bag.

[​IMG]

The Giant Loop sitting on top of a Rotopax. Way too tall to be practical.

[​IMG]

I'm using a set of Dirtbagz stand-offs as tie downs and to keep the bags off the bike.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  20. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    How are you attaching the lower legs of the bag, particularly on the exhaust side, without burning the strap?