BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

In the most common setup I use the strap hooks to the Dirtbagz rack as above. I also fabricated a metal loop that bolts to the foot peg mounting holes. Either way the Leo Vince heat shield protects the strap.

BTW, that is the same Great Basin in all photographs. In the later photos it has been coated with West Marine inflatable dingy pain to cover the yellow. Looks like heck, but at least it is not yellow. I bought it used from a guy who hauled it down the TAT on a WR250. He added longer straps to make securing things to the outside easier. I added another strap and buckle to secure it to the luggage rack more quickly.

m
  2. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the clip type on mine, for ease of removal and/or repair in the field. They also don't need any special tools, as they can be replaced with a pair of pliers or small vice grips.
  3. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    +1 for the clip-type master link
  4. Xoliul

Xoliul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take it for what it's worth, but...
    My X has been dead, in storage for almost a year. The clip opened, the chain bunched up around the frame and from then on my second gear had a bad rattle when the bike moved. Pretty sure a few teeth of the gearbox snapped off when the chain blocked the motor.
    I'm never using clips again.
  5. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    I have NEVER found myself saying I wish I had a clip type master link but I have lost a clip and said I wish I had just put a rivet style on.
    seasider likes this.
  6. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never had a problem with a clip type master link. You have to make sure you put the clip on going the correct direction.
    BikerBobber, jonnyc21 and eaglescan like this.
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a clip type, get the matching one for the chain you have. I like DID or RK.
  8. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    Another pointer that some people do, is to RTV Silicone the clip into place just as an additional safety measure. I do that on mine.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I use endless chains only. The clip wears through first thing on a chain. When you reverse the bike it might get caught if you're unlucky too.
    I carry two clipped links just to fix it out there.
    blaster11 likes this.
  10. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    A chain guide can also pull the clip off if you are pulling the bike to the rear/spinning the tire backwards.
  11. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the info.
    I think I will grab a DID 520 VX2 chain a let a mechanic close it for me, with a pressed pin. For emergency trail reparation I will get a couple of clip master links and silicone.

How many links should I get for the X? 120 is enough ?
    XallengeXccepted and blaster11 like this.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    112 links is the standard length.
    keepshoveling and Fasco like this.
  13. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Hi again all. Just about to place the order for my gas cap but there was one of you who got the larger size (C73-757-B). Thanks for posting the pics of that, but what advantage does the slightly larger size offer? Otherwise I will order the one XchallengeXcepted first suggested (C73-755-B). TIA
  14. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I just received the suggested one and wonder if it ks too small????
    Anybody intall yet!
  15. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    I think they both work...but the larger one needed the back spout cut off or something? Pics are in this thread maybe a page back or two. But I'm still not clear on why or if the larger one is better?
  16. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    The suggested one is not too small, as you can see in the original post. It is the one I am using, and it fits fine.

The only reason the bigger size might be better is because it is the exact same diameter as the mounting surface of the tank. Aesthetically it may look better, but it makes no functional difference whatsoever.

And yes, the larger one needs some additional cutting to remove the neck on the back of it.

They will both work fine. If you don't mind making those extra cuts to remove the neck, the larger one will probably look better.
    keepshoveling and octopusenvy like this.
  17. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to buy a pair of Oxford heated grips for my Xchallenge. I have touratech handguards on. Which width is optimal for me?
    OXford has three model/lengths available:
    • Adventure 5.19" (132mm). Can be trimmed to 4.80" (122mm)
    • Sport 4.84" (123mm). Can be trimmed to 4.48" (114mm)
    • Touring 4.72"" (120mm). Can be trimmed to 4.37" (110mm)
    Thank you!
  18. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    We're in France at the moment for two weeks of trail riding. It's bloody awesome !

[​IMG]

Ducking under trees...

[​IMG]

If we don't jump over them !

[​IMG]
    ADV67, Fasco, blaster11 and 5 others like this.
  19. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    More pictures please.
  20. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Alright team, I have an Ohlin X-co/X-ch question.
    I've modded my 09' X-co with longer front fork inserts to make the bike taller. In an effort to make it just a little bit taller, I picked up an X-Ch Ohlins shock from another inmate. I took off my old shock When I went to install it didn't seem to fit. I put in the first eye-hole which went in just fine. Then when I went to install the bottom mounting joint it was off. It seemed as if the swing arm should go down another 1/8 inch.

I checked out the part fiche and both the swing arm & the center frame (the two mounting joints of the shock) were the same. The "front Frame" and Left & Right Frames were the same. From my estimation those are the only parts that touch or proximately touch the mounting points. Thus, all those parts being I same I felt it should just side in there.

For the install I removed the rear wheel & I had the bike on the center stand (it was not on a lift). I have the Schleffelmeir bash plate on.

My question, what is limiting the swing arm from going further down? I half expected the swing arm to drop when I took out the OEM shock. But it just dropped a few inches.

Some things that are popping into my head as I'm writing this, maybe it should have lifted it (the center stand could have effected it) similar my bash plate could have stopped the swing arm from going further down. I didn't really look into those two things.

Any input you have would save me a lot of money! Thanks team.

Hugs & kisses,
    cFogs