BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    mtncrawler.....thanks motorcycle superstore one will work for me.
  2. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're welcome - I only found out about it through some earlier searching, no personal experience. So feel free to persecute me should it prove not to work! ..... :bash

I actually machined a std 18mm deep well spark plug socket for myself..
    blaster11 likes this.
  3. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Decisions...decisions..:lol3
    octopusenvy likes this.
  4. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey team, I just did some maitencence today and now my bike dies after a cold start.
    I checked the valve clearance, looked at the spark-plugs, (everything checked out) & replaced the air filter with a uni filter from touratech. Now, when the bike is cold it dies after a few seconds of idling. After it warms up its fine.
    I reset the TPS with no POS-RES.
    Could it be the uni-filter? could I have over-tightened the valve cover bolts? The only wire I disconnected was the one to the airbag (which I reconnected).

I'm going to let it sit over night & try it when its dead-cold.
    Thanks team!

-cFogs
  5. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    could be the dreaded (not really) cold-start issue? My old Xchallenge didn't have that issue at all, but apparently my new, old Xchallenge occasionally does? I haven't arrived to it yet to experience the drama, but it just means you need to get on and ride/warm it.

Otherwise I hope it's a simple thing you can correct, so do keep us posted. BTW, how you getting on with the ADV-tank install?
  6. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    It never had the issue before in the 6k miles I've had it...including the 50 degree start this morning (before I worked on it). So I'm thinking it was something I did to it.
  7. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    Did you try letting it idle for a while (10 min)? I had that issue when I switched exhausts and that fixed it. I recognize that's the equivalent of "turn it off and on again and make sure it's plugged in."
    cgguy09 likes this.
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Butters, keepshoveling and cgguy09 like this.
  9. daze55556

daze55556 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1957.jpg IMG_1956.jpg

So I had an engineer fit a bush into the clutch cover because it was quite worn. Only done 17000 kilometres. We noticed this scraping on the inside of the clutch cover which we could only figure may have been the clutch plates rubbing if the distortion in the out put shaft was great enough to pull the clutch basket out sideways? Alternatively as I said previously I don't know the history of the bike so it may have been done for am unknown purpose when it was off the bike.
  10. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I went in & cleaned the throttle body top to bottom (I knew I should have done that in the first place). It wasn't filthy, but it wasn't spotless. Either way, you could eat out of it now if you wanted to.

When I started the bike up it did the same thing, wanted to die after a few seconds until it warmed up. So taking @keepshoveling 's advice, I let it fully warm up, then took it for a 10 minute ride. (I love riding this thing without the "tupperware," with the airbox, battery, and coolant exposed...I was next to another motorcycle (a harley) and the guy was just staring at my bike trying to figure out what was going on with it). It felt fine all throughout the revs...I could I felt it surge a time or two...but it was small and to be honest I may be just imagining it. I'm going to let it sit overnight and if it dies on start up I'll take off the valve cover & investigate & retorque the bolts. Should that fail. I'll swap the old air filter back in & see if that changes it.

The bike has always purred, so I want to get it back there.
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

As long as there aren't loose aluminum chips coming off of it, I wouldn't worry about it.
    keepshoveling and daze55556 like this.
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

How old is your battery? Have one to swap into it?
    cgguy09 and keepshoveling like this.
  13. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BIKE-R, Traumat1x, Bli55 and 7 others like this.
  14. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Not old, a year and change. It's a solid state/gel battery. I always trickle charge it. But to be safe, I'll multimeter it tomorrow.
  15. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice any of that on an old cover I have laying about but I suggest taking out the clutch package to see if the nut that holds the clutch basket in, is still tight and locked.
    It might have been done already by the PO.
  16. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Some more pictures of our two weeks in the Lot region in France

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going through people's house

[​IMG]

And we found an old abandoned truck next to one of the trails. It was virtually complete !

[​IMG]

Awesome !
    DGR, keepshoveling, Len and 3 others like this.
  17. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    As part of your throttle body cleaning, did you also clean the idle air controller (plunger)? The purpose of the IAC is to meter the air/fuel so it idles properly. The plunger gets grimey and either sticks, or partially blocks the air path. I had pretty minor issues with it dying after cold starts. After cleaning the IAC it has never happened again.

However, since you also replaced your air filter with a different type, I suppose it could also just be a result of that.
    keepshoveling and cgguy09 like this.
  18. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Yea, I gave it a good scrubbing. The brass tip and the black base were spotless, I tried to get into the crevices where it went into the electronic sensor, but it was pretty tight, I mostly blew that part with with the throttle body cleaner
  19. opm22

opm22 n00b

Oddometer:
    hello my friends. first of all, sorry for this question that can seem little ridiculous for a mechanical engineer...

it's related to the clutch mechanism/case failure in the 2007 G650X. I decide not to change the entire case and instead I'm going to ask a local machinist to make a bushing for the clutch case hole, as others here already did.

My newbie question is about the measures of the hole in the case compared to the release bearing (BMW #21217709526) that goes in it. How much "play" (or clearance) is supposed to have between these two in order to not have any issue as:

1. too much "play"/clearance between the two, of course, as this is the very first reason I'm doing this, to remove the excess of wear in the case hole;
    2. extreme low clearance between the two pieces making clutch engagement and disengagement sticky/heavy or even stuck.

I know I could simply trust my machinist, but that's not the case. I want to make sure and, most importantly, to learn.
  20. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Have the machinist measure the hole. It'll only have worn on one "side" so measuring between two non worn sides will give you the answer.
    Big Fella and keepshoveling like this.