BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone who replied so far, looks like the EMIG damper and triple clamp is definitely sold to one of several guys keen.

Now how about the BRAND NEW Britannia Lynx R Fairing? This thing is flawless and really high quality. It's a shame I can't use it, as I'd say its the best option out there for screen & lighting. $600 is a really good price as they now start at $625 without the HID/LED lighting ($95 extra) & without 12v ($18 extra) so you are saving $140USD http://www.britanniacomposites.com/lynx-r-bmw-650-x-challengex-country/
    [​IMG]
    Traumat1x likes this.
  2. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Highway Dirtbikes Rallye Lite fairing with Baja Designs Squadron Sport lights. Send Paul (@theantipaul) at HDB an email, I think he was making a few extra mounting brackets.
    Traumat1x likes this.
  3. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Muaahahahahahaaa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Len, blaster11, Dutchgit and 4 others like this.
  4. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet!

Is that a bulkhead vent for a fuel cell?
  5. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    It is just a nylon bulkhead elbow. And a piece of aluminum plate I found on ebay. 2 of them for only $5.00 precut.
  6. GregCo3000

GregCo3000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,
    Just picked up a new-to-me 650XChallenge. It's got about 6500 miles on it and has had the clutch cover update.
    I'm finding that it really doesn't like 1st gear from a stop. It lurches and chugs during the transition of letting the clutch engage. It feels a lot like driving stick for the first time.
    I readjusted the clutch cable/lever and got that operating much nicer, but it didn't really help. The problem seems to get a little better as things warm up. Chain tension was way loose when I got it, but I've straightened that out with out improvement. It feels like something is really loose somewhere, or maybe the fueling at idle is too lean? I can rev a little higher and make the transition smoother, but it feels way to aggressive, not the way I'd like to engage 1st. I am coming from an F800GS and had a G650GS a few years back. I recall that the 650GS was not nearly as smooth, transmission wise, as the F800, but I don't remember it being this difficult at a stop sign. One test that I've tried is to just really slowly let the clutch out and let the bike creep without any throttle input, but at a certain point it starts with the lurching. I have no issues between the rest of the gears.
    Has anybody else experienced this? Could it be that my clutch is prematurely worn? I have not opened the case or anything yet, I'm trying to compile a list of possibilities before I dig in. It came with a second set of supermoto wheels, so who knows what nonsense the last owner put it through with those on...
    Thanks!
  7. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Change the oil ? I'm running 10w50 fully synth in mine and have no problems.
  8. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had the dash backlights stay on after the bike has been turned off.
    The red glow that lights the dash when the bike is running and normal goes off when you switch the bike off.
    Mine stay on, only bought bike recently and the PO said he did not have the issue.
  9. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    The dash possibly has gotten wet I think. That's one of the main problems where it concerns strange behaviour in the dash and lights.
    It's not a big problem to seal the electrics of the dash. I did a post on that.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  10. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    +1 screw that O-ring crap...

Get a solid little strap and put it down low, route through the hole in the left rear of the battery box as I recall:

[​IMG]
    sitz, Dutchgit and keepshoveling like this.
  11. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Dutchgit and Snooker
    Dutchgit likes this.
  12. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello there. Quick question: I need to replace the hose clamp on the hose that exits from the radiator (the one that you need to remove as per BMW instructions while changing the fluid).

Do you know which size of clamp should I get? I'm far from my bike but need to buy the clamp know ... thanks!
    C5! likes this.
  13. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about a gnat's wing from pulling the trigger on one of Erik's fairings; the question is, which? I prefer the look of the rallye over the ktm style, but the screen doesn't look as tall and it looks easier to mount aux lights on the ktm style. Anyone using the rallye fairing mount LEDs (got pics)? Any one actually tried out both? If it matters, I'm 5-11 w/ 31" inseam.
  14. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick torque question - don't have my windows setup to run my manual/maintenance handy...

The 2 M10 bolts that clamp the lower handlebar supports to the upper triple clamp? Bolts are inserted from bottom side of top triple, through the rubber anti-vibe bits into the lower handlebar support.

:lurk
  15. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    50Nm w/ loctite 243
    mtncrawler likes this.
  16. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!
  17. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
  18. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not tried one but I like the concept. I use compression braking a lot, and from what I understand, the Recluse slips under deceleration. I picture it like rolling off the throttle on a jet ski, it slows down, just not much. It would take some getting used to, I'm just not quite ready to take the plunge, still on the fence. Hill climbs would be cake, back down, maybe not so much.
  19. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    I have heard that the new V3 can be adjusted so that it engages just off idle and still provides 99% of normal compression braking.

I would love to hear any real world experience with this though.
    Len likes this.
  20. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    I have the older Rekluse model, the z-Start Pro. I do not know how it compares to the new Adventure series so keep that in mind!

The z-Start Pro will still do compression braking, it is like a centrifugal clutch that basically freewheels only when the RPMs are close to idle. With RPMs above idle the clutch is engaged, so basically as long as the RPMs are above idle then it acts like a normal clutch feel including engine braking. Think of it as a 2nd clutch in series with the stock clutch, so if either one is disengaged then the motor is disengaged.

For example, If you are at the top of a hill stopped with the motor at idle the Rekluse will be disengaged and if you push off and simply stay at idle down the hill it will stay disengaged and no engine braking. On the other hand if your RPMs are up it will be engaged or if not you just pull in the clutch and rev the motor while you engage the clutch lever and then it will use engine braking. I've never had an issue with engine braking not working.

The best thing about it is when offroad and hill climbing where you would normally need to downshift as you slow down part way up a steep hill, here you would not need to downshift it would just simply "slip". This has saved my butt on gnarly stuff with a fully loaded bike with camping gear etc.
    The other good thing is you can stomp on the brake and not kill the motor, the RPMs would slow down and then freewheel right before it would normally stall the motor.

The downside is you can NOT bumpstart the bike if you kill the battery. I also found that letting out the clutch lever when in 1st gear at a complete stop has a totally different feel from a normal clutch, to me it is not as positive feeling. Let's just say you would not want it on a trials bike!

Having said all of this, I see the new Adventure model has a different design so who knows how it works and feels...

Here is a video of it saving my butt on a nasty spot on Elephant Hill in Canyonlands Nat'l Park in Utah. I never would have made it up without the Rekluse. The new one looks perhaps easier to install, here is the z-Start Pro install.
    cgguy09 and Len like this.