BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Forums are good like that :-)
  2. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only had my rear wheel off a couple of times, so am having a hard time visualizing what you guys are talking about.

Are you saying there is supposed to be a spacer between the sprocket carrier and the wheel hub? Because there is not on this one. There is, however, a spacer on the inside of the wheel hub between the two bearings in the hub.

It does look like the bearings were replaced at some point, or just messed with, because it is missing one of the bearing seals on one side and the inner surface is scratched like someone used a screwdriver to pry it out.
  3. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am fortunate enough to have a couple bikes and have owned plenty others and I honestly can write that this is the absolute best, down to earth informative group I have ever followed to learn and keep abreast with knowledge about my bike.
    My x has been for sale for a while with no push because I KNOW I could not come close to replacing what it is for near the investment nor come any further ahead in what I want in a mid size bike. Happy for a while now no one poneyed up. Just ordered some items moved to another bike a couple weekes ago because it will be mine for a while. East coaster with out west riding planned.
    All you guys have been a great help in getting this bike RIGHT.
    Thank you.
  4. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I once left this part out by mistake, and it did chew up the hub. You should take your existing rear wheel and sprocket ,and see the spacer Dutch talks about.
    I only rode it for a few miles, and felt was something wrong . I found the spacer laying in the grass by my shop, I had recently changed a tire.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  5. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Why yes they are! :clap

Without a doubt there is a spacer missing if that's all you see. The spacer in question has a tube like portion that will fit inside the Cush Carrier barrings and a mushroom type head on one end that will keep it from doing what your pictures show, with the center of the spacer being the correct size for the axle. A second check on if the wrong bearings where used would be to see if your rear axle will fit snug inside the bearings currently in the Cush Carrier without any gap, if so they are the wrong bearingsas the spacer is required for correct fit.
    keepshoveling, eaglescan and Dutchgit like this.
  6. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    someone was machining stronger spacers out of steel instead of the stock alloy ones. anyone remember where they can be picked up from? I'd love to get my hands on a front/rear steel set... :)
  7. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have these - they've been with my last set of Michelin Desert Race tires - and my current set of TKC's;
    http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tubes/moose-racing-heavy-duty-tube
    Rear (100/100-18, 120/100-18)
    Front (90/90-21, 80/100-21)

No flats...yet..:vardy
    DoubleM likes this.
  8. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
  10. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This forum is such a great source of good information - I cant' thank you enough :clap

With the information in this thread (and the Colebatch one) I've spend the last weeks working on the bike for my Balcan trip: new front rim, clutch & gas cables, aux tank, luggage rack, new transmission, rimlocks, new fuel filter, sparks, oil, head bearings, etc.) and now the big question: should I change the clutch plates before leaving? The clutch is not slipping yet but the bike has nearly 40k kilometers on it. Do you know which is the range of width of the friction material on the clutch plates? Maybe I can measure how much stuff I still have on it and decide if it deserve a change? :y0!
  11. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    cheers Dutchgit & Mtncrawler...ordering :)
    Dutchgit likes this.
  12. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mtncrawler!!! Will order today.
    mtncrawler likes this.
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    These plates are easily sourced and fitted. Or you bring a set and see when you need them. It's only about 15 mins to change them and you don't need to drain the oil.
    The plates are the same on virtually all the Rotax 650 bikes AFAIK.
  14. Fasco

Fasco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you ! I will buy a set and carry that with me just in case
  15. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    It might be a bit difficult to get the cover off so expect that. Bring some silicon sealant as well. The original rubber O-ring type gasket stays in the cover usually but a very light smear of silicon might be a good idea.
  16. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    Given that the plates are only $70 and easy to replace, I would just do it before the trip so you don't have to carry them and worry about it.
    Len likes this.
  17. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    OK, I know sprockets have been discussed at length here. And I will probably keep the stock 15T front, because I am very afraid of damaging the output shaft with an aftermarket 14T front sprocket. That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

So this leaves me with changing the rear sprocket for off road use. Does anyone know what the max rear sprocket size is that will fit with the stock chain length? Trying to avoid swapping chains every time I switch the sprocket.
  18. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan.
    Did you check with Woody to see if his hub supplier could make one up? You would get to call your shots on rear sprocket and bearing interface, the only kicker is if he could make a cush hub and cut your spacers while he was doing it. He may need your old hub as a template?
  19. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    I have a 49 on. You might be able to fit 50, but you'd need to move the wheel all the way forward in the adjuster.
    XallengeXccepted likes this.
  20. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    While that would be awesome, sounds very EXPENSIVE!

How much of a difference has going to a 49 rear made?