BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like the cover of the Husky they made with rotax engine. I wondered it that would fit the X, and if the quality was the same as the X Country cover.
  2. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So an updated XCountry cover with a Husky logo basically? Or is it an entire Husky clutch assembly?
  3. TobyG

TobyG STRP - Sloth Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Just the cover from a Terra or Strada, I'd guess.
    They have the updated cover with the bushing, apart from that they should have the exact same clutch.
    XallengeXccepted likes this.
  4. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and me both; good to know it fits. Bonus: the husky part is a bit cheaper than the BMW part.
    XallengeXccepted and octopusenvy like this.
  5. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks; that's a fiddly thing, what with the wiring harness right there.
  6. gsstampeder

gsstampeder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried to take the air box off the bike to get at the throttle body today and got all the screws out, or thought I had until I discovered the front centre screw.
    Thank you BMW for making this procedure as difficult as possible. I don't usually stock a bending Phillips screwdriver, which is needed to get at the front centre screw or.... I could get at it by ????
  7. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, it is a pretty dumb design. It has been a while since I pulled mine, but I don't recall the front screws being TOO bad. I do remember that you have to un bolt the brake junction block on the right side to get to one of the screws..
  8. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Use a REALLY long one, or a phillips driver in a socket to remove it.
  9. Davo11

Davo11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg Help please, busted up my rear tail and decided to go with a tail tidy. I can only get one of the indicators to flash properly the other just lights a row of LEDs and flashes that row however stays on like its live full time. I cut the original wiring to use the plug as I thought this would be a better connection. The indicators are led as previously mentioned, do I need to use the led in line regulator (think that's what it's called) as when I first tried it it heated up very quickly.
  10. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going through the bucket-o-stuff I got with my X, I found an Unidentified Tail Tidy:

[​IMG]

Any ideas as to who made it? Trying to see what my options are for indicators on it.

Also found these Identified-But-I-Can't-Install-The-Damn-Things screws and bushes:

[​IMG]

...which appear to be placeholders if you don't have grabrails:

[​IMG]

...but while the screws fit perfectly in the bushes, they're too small to grab the threads. What am I missing?

Thanks.
  11. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Well I ordered the clutch cover, the gasket, the shaft seal, the sleeves and needle bearings to do the replacement today. Should I order the shaft too? I read that the circlip won't fit on the 07 models shaft without grinding. True?

My bike has started walking with the clutch pulled in. Annoying as shit.
  12. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as the teeth on your old one are good, save the $90 and grind a radius on the shaft end. There was a picture on one of the write ups that looked like it took a couple of minutes on a bench grinder with a few test fits and it was good to go. If you don't have one, I'll loan you mine, I'm just up the road.
  13. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Huh? just up the road?
  14. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Decatur.
  15. Davo11

Davo11 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Found a link on the forum, all sorted.
  16. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
  17. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I should have said chamfer, not radius. That is the link I read. The lower angled face on the shaft needs to move up the shaft.[​IMG]

If you have a 1/2" drill, you can chuck up the shaft and spin it while you prop it against the grinder, you will get a very even cut and you can dress it smooth on a piece of sand paper taped down to a bench. Just take it slow and it should work great.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  18. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I repaired my cover, I didn't even put the clip back on, just stuffed it down the hole and with the lever and cable on , it doesn't even try to get out (up)
    keepshoveling likes this.
  19. TobyG

TobyG STRP - Sloth Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Wasn't there some talk of two different size threads (one was M6 and the otehr M8) in the rear frames, depending on the build date or type of rear frame?
    I seem to recall something like that.
  20. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    :beer

So, what's the worst that could happen? Say I remove too much material or screw up the chamfer (I have been known to do these things)? I havent taken it apart yet to look at it. Whats purpose of the hamferred end?