1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the chamfer matches up with the shape at the bottom of the hole, but not sure. The reason would be to give more "bearing" surface area so it's less load per square inch. But in reality, @eaglescan is right, the shaft isn't going to jump out of there; however, somebody at Rotax thought it was a good idea to use a clip since the Funduro. If you broke the clutch arm at the cable, I guess the shaft could come out but you are screwed at that point anyway.

As for taking too much off, after you take your cable loose, you should be able to feel how much "slop" you have up and down and give you an idea how it should fit after you grind. I don't think it would matter if it was a little more loose.

Just make sure the clip is firmly seated, the real downside would be the clip coming off and start bouncing around in there.

They are called Jesus clips, because when one springs off the shaft while you are prying it, and it goes shooting across the garage, you say "Jesus, where the F*** did that thing go!" :lol3
  2. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way I see it, is the shaft only rotates a small amount. They way over engineered that area, it could have had a wooden bushing do the job!
  3. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    Yea, I think im going to say screw the Jesus clip and drunken grinding session and just jam the shaft in there like you did.
  4. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    Got a question regarding the suspension... on my DL650 I was really happy with the Intiminator fork upgrade from Ricor. They prevented the excessive brakedive and made the front feel really planted.

I was wondering if something similar exists for the X forks? Ricor doesn't seem to offer anything.
  5. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

You'll need to be able to crimp new valves to the BMW internals to fix your front end.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  6. DGR

DGR G650X

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a difficult solution? :scratch Have you tried that option?
  7. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes. That's how a vendor in California used to do it. They are no longer around. He happened to have the correct die for crimping new valves on to the BMW parts.

The other solution is to replace the internals of your Marzocchi forks with better internals.
  8. sitz

sitz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done; the Alu frame I pulled out takes the M6, the steel '09 Xcountry takes the M8s. Confirmed by the fiche, once I checked the right diagram. Thanks.
    TobyG likes this.
  9. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1...not to mention removing the current "plugs" already crimped in place without damaging :) Sure it's possible, but better off going the MZ internals route...
  10. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Lots of talk about hubs and Woody's. I'm a few blocks from them if somebody wants to undertake a wacko project and Woody's needs a look at the BMW hubs. I'd be happy to let Woody's take a peak. It may just benefit a lot of us in the long run. DO be forewarned, replacing the stock rims will make the bike work wonderfully.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  11. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the superlace on both my bikes but it would be nice to know how much difference there is between the billet F800GS hub he offered and the X-hub. I would be curious if one could be done that used KTM or Yamaha disks and sprockets to make consumable parts more reasonable. Ballpark cost and how many they would need to run to recoup the setup would be good questions to ask.
  12. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    If one goes down the route of machining a new hub,
    you can do whatever the F you want.
    You just want to make sure that you get a brake disc the same size and at least close in thickness.
    And of course, for the sprocket, you want to choose a model that is available with the right amount of teeth.

But that should be very much obvious, anyways.

But really, go wild with your imagination, if you make a new hub from scratch.

I am thinking that, more important than the sprocket and disc, is to have one made with other cush drive rubbers, since from what I hear BMW doesn't carry them anymore? Or am I mistaken?
    Len likes this.
  13. Sh4ft

Sh4ft Beater

Oddometer:
    I ground mine down with a dremel, easy to do - just take off enough to get the clip on. I would replace the seal as well, I did wrap the splines at the top of the shaft tightly with teflon tape and then slid the seal down. (After the grinding and clip attachment.)
    keepshoveling likes this.
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I'm just wondering at what point you're going to start to earn back the investment of a new hub/wheel in cheaper consumables ?
    I'm going to lace different rims in the front on our bikes. Probably not the rears. Never ever had a dent at the rear (and it got hit hard a few times)
    so I'll leave them alone. I'll probably stick regular/Takagaso excel rims in the front.
  15. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since the Woody's came on both bikes when I bought them, I would like to get an extra set of motard wheels or something for street tires. The only other source is from an Xmoto and they didn't build many of those. I've got the Takagaso rims, front 19 x 2.50, rear 17 x 4.25, and I got a loose set of street tires in the deal. I don't know if I want to go back to a 21" front, but I do like the meat on the back.
  16. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    We both have a set of 19" and 17" wheels but we hardly use them. I do think they are great on the road though. Even with "just" Heidenau K60 tyres on you can scrape the pegs :-)
    We just ride as much off pavement as we can so normally have the 21 and 18 fitted.
    I'm planning on keeping the stock 21/18 for the road (Mitas 644 army special front and Mitas E09 rear) and have another set with proper knobblies on for some more serious rides.
    Len likes this.
  17. crash a-ron

crash a-ron mmm...burnt steel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply on this- I just noticed a few people were actually curious. G650XChallenge Clutch update.

I happen to have a parts bike 2009 XCountry, so I first tried to use just the clutch cover with its actuating arm. That worked perfect as others have found, but I still found the XChallenge clutch grabby and inconsistent. I started looking at the clutch (hub,basket, plates, everything) on the 2009, and it is completely different than the 2007. The later clutch uses a different stack of plates and steels, and also includes an anti-judder spring in the pack. I did a bunch of measuring with everything all laid out, and figured I could install the later clutch assembly in my XChallenge.

Just when I was about to do that, my wife, who has what we call the XChuntry since it is a XChallenge that I converted into a XCountry (long story), Started complaining that her clutch was doing bad things, like crawling in gear and making neutral hard to find- classic cover problems. I realized I needed 2 new clutch assemblies vs 1.

Since the 2009 Xcountry uses the same parts as the Loncin G650GS, and I always thought the Husqvarna TR650 was a possibility, so I expanded my search to that bike too.After much research and ebay searching, I turned up a breaker that had a low miles TR650, so I bought the entire clutch assembly including the cover hoping it would fit. In photos it looked likely...

Anyway, everything fits and it works worlds better than the 2007 clutch. Much smoother engagement, better friction zone, no grabby behavior. It disengages fully, and neutral is easy to click into at a stop. All in all, a way better design. I changed my wife's to the 2009 BMW, and mine to the Husky TR650.

If anyone wants to do the conversion, you will need the cover, the hub, basket, springs, the entire clutch pack including the anti-judder spring set, everything. The only parts that are the same are the roller bearings under the basket, but even those are an updated bearing and look like better quality. Any 2009 Xcountry, any 2009 or later G650GS, or any Husqvarna TR650 Terra or Strada are good donors- Just buy the complete assembly!

I highly recommend the conversion, but if anyone is needing 2007 XChallenge clutch parts, let me know- I have two complete ones...
  18. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, just when you think you have heard of every mod for the bike, a new one pops up. Very interesting information, thanks for sharing!
  19. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bogart..... :imaposer
  20. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Whoops!
    Alright, so I just extended the length of my kickstand, got it power coated and went to put it back on when I tore the small metal tab that attaches to the kickstand. From what I can tell from pictures and the diagram it would appear the tab is part of the kill switch assembly (i.e. the $140 part). Can anyone confirm this? Also, has anyone made the same mistake and solved the problem (I wanted to ask before I reinvented the wheel).

And also, before anyone says "You really don't need that idiot switch, just remember put the kick stand up." Listen team, I'm the whole reason why these switches exist....I'm the dummy. & you get bet your last dollar I will totally forget that 8 inch piece of steel is hanging off the side of the bike before I decide to a rocky water crossing, so just sit back and watch.:type