BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    here's a pic of the assembly

Attached Files:

2. TobyG

TobyG be happy :)

Oddometer:
    What part (number 9?) exactly did you tear off?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  3. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More importantly, what is the purpose of extending the length of your kickstand? I've heard of shortening for lowered bikes, but never lengthening. :-)
    cgguy09 likes this.
  4. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    I think it is part of number nine. It's a bad picture admittedly. I'm going to tear it down tonight & take a look at it. I just wanted to write and ask in case it would save me the trouble. (I know a lot of guys took the thing apart to kill the dummy switch)

The bike is an 09 x-Co. But I have aftermarket forks and shocks on it. So it's about 4 inches taller (maybe more), the bike was pretty much at beams end when I put the kickstand down.
  5. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Most everyone was disabling the switch so I am not sure if or how many might have wanted to fix it it had been broken. I still have mine in place and just supplied my took kit with the needed bits to disable in the event that it ever gives me trouble when out riding.

Hope you are able to figure it out without having to get a new one... or maybe someone on the forum might have an unused one they are willing to part with?

Best of luck.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  6. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted on what you find and take a picture of it if you can. I looked on MaxBMW and it shows the part number to be 61 31 7 654 303, and it also shows the same part number for the one that fits a Dakar, which I have a parts bike in the garage.

If they really are the same, you can have my extra and I'll pay the postage, but I will have to test it since the bike had a blown engine and I never checked if most of the stuff worked.

Call it good Karma or "thank you for your service", whatever works for you.
    cgguy09 and mtncrawler like this.
  7. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    You're a saint. I'll do some research!
  8. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, saints are rolling over in their graves on that one! :lol3 :pope

Ok, here's the deal, they look exactly the same but the new mount has a bolt instead of the old Jesus clip. Spoiler alert, the one on the left has 100,000 more miles than the X on the right, it's met some rocks but works perfectly. Shoot me an address and I'll send it your way tomorrow.

[​IMG]

The test procedure goes like this: There is a pin on the back side of the switch that should be at the 180 degree position in the orientation shown. It goes in a hole in the side stand. When the stand is down, it will have conductivity between pins 1 and 2. When the stand is up (rotate the pin from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock), you will get continuity between pins 1 and 3. Information is here. Thanks again Wayne C.
    keepshoveling, cgguy09 and Dutchgit like this.
  9. MacMan

MacMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That switch really is unjustifiably complicated and epitomises why I'll never buy another BMW without carbs. It's one of the many reasons I'd like to belt the guys who designed these bikes in the shins with a 9 iron. They just couldn't make do with a normal momentary switch like the rest of the world. Oh no, it had to be the cleverest rotating switch ever devised, hanging down in the muck where it can be bashed and trashed with ease, yet designed in such a way that wear that develops in the pivot helps it commit seppuku. (Use of Japanese for extra irony.)

And before you all say haters gonna hate. We own one. It was disconnected and removed after attempting to strand my partner 600km from home.
  10. big_sur

big_sur Way faster than you

Oddometer:
    This is the real answer. You'll only forget once or twice and I mean really; how far are you going to get with it down? I've removed this "feature" from two of my bikes and it's never a problem.
  11. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    A bit behind but here is an old post of mine that refers to some very interesting sprocket sizes and chain wear information: LINKY
    Doesn't really answer your question though... I've used a 15/49 with the stock 112 chain but have gone back to 15/47.

As for using aftermarket front sprockets YMMV. I was shocked to see how loose the JT sprocket I got actually fitted vs. the BMW one. So for me, my old habit of slapping on a JT countershaft sprocket doesn't work anymore. Never again. Here is what I posted a few years ago:
    I just replaced my sprockets and chain, and I'm glad I read all the posts about the front sprocket manufacturers not having real tight tolerances. I hardly ever buy real BMW parts but this time I bought a BMW front sprocket and it really did fit better. My old JT sprocket was VERY loose on the countershaft and it is cut in a way so that it does not extend out far enough for the spring washer to push against it which makes it wobble even more. The BMW sprocket was correct in both areas.

I encourage everyone with a non BMW front sprocket to take off the chain and check the sprocket play - first check to see if it is held tightly with the bolts and washers installed; then put on your original OEM BMW sprocket to compare the difference.
    XallengeXccepted likes this.
  12. snooker

Oddometer:
    I did not want the damn sidestand safety switch to fail while bashing off road so I disabled it but in a very calculated way. I dismounted it, used an ohm meter to find the optimal position (of rotation), then zip tied it and put it up under my seat. It has now been there for 6 years! If you do this then you can try it for awhile and see if you can retrain your brain (like any dirt biker) to just put your damn kickstand up before you take off. :imaposer See my LINKY for full pictures and instructions.
    XallengeXccepted likes this.
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    Never? :lol2 There went your street cred! Or should I say offroad cred! :rofl It is common when people put on a different shock mainly for better offroad damping, which is usually longer than the stock Sachs shock. I was running 2 hockey pucks for awhile but now on my Yacugar I'm back to 1 hockey puck. I can't find a pic of it, but this one that I took is more fun anyhow:
    [​IMG]

My favorite was back in the day when Plumber Mike just put on what he had laying around - an old yellow hole saw with jagged teeth on it, it was hilarious:
    [​IMG]
  14. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    LOL, where can I get a deer kickstand?
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Mine is still standard length. It leans a bit but it's okay for now. I might change it when my forks become taller though.
  16. XallengeXccepted

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear your input on this. I did order a Schefelmeir front sprocket along with the rear. I'll let you know how that one fits if I ever decide to try it. I think I'm going to start with 15/49 for now though, and am close to springing for the Rekluse EXP 3.0 clutch. With the two combined, I have a feeling that will give me enough low end for any offroad I want to tackle on this bike at least.
  17. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I have the sprockets from scheffelmeier (13/49) and they seem fine.

Bob
    Please support the Heart and Stroke Foundation, visit my page at
    http://bigbike.ca/
  18. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got a 75+ mile ride in today, about 35 on forest service gravel and 40 getting there and back. Weather was warm but not bad and I only saw one truck on the 35 miles of gravel roads, amazing. Bankhead National Forest is a nice area to ride and far enough away from larger cities that it stays fairly empty. Rain is supposed to be here into the weekend and it started sprinkling 10 minutes after I got home. I'd rather be lucky than good!
    [​IMG]
    mtncrawler, Yukon Ho!, DGR and 6 others like this.
  19. michel700c

michel700c gone riding

Oddometer:
    moto1.JPG It's long past time for me to repack the Leo Vince X3 on my G650X. I have been unable to find the factory Leo Vince repacking kit. Any specific recommendations? Thanks!
  20. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What all is supposed to be included in the kit? Here is a link.