BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are one tooth off at the crank. Start over, pull cams, jiggle the chain in the direction it needs to go, you may need to give yourself some slack by pulling chain tensioner bolt. Did you pull the plug to make it easier to slightly turn the crank?

Here is the video: http://faq.f650.com/dvd/F650_Maintenance_DVD_1_1.m4v
    Dutchgit likes this.
  2. Glowplug

Glowplug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, pulled plugs. The video looks helpful, thanks. So to find TDC is it best stick a chopstick down the plug hole to see where the piston is highest, or is there an indent to be found where the TDC tool goes into the case?
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    Yeah there's slot in the crackshaft's side on the left. There's a bolt in there with M8 thread under the rounding of the clutch housing.
    Put a M8 bolt in with a tip grounded to it. Lean the bike to the right a little so no oil comes out.
    You can turn the crank on the RHS of the engine with an Allen key. There is a plastic plug in there in the center of the alternator housing.
    mtncrawler and Len like this.
  4. Glowplug

Glowplug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, many thanks. I'll report how it ends up.

Follow - up: This whole job is surprisingly easy, even if you lose timing. Put the crank tool in, line up the lines on the cam sprockets with the extra "bore holes" on top (cam lobes are pointing forward on exhaust, rearward on intake), and you're good to go.

I did not loosen or remove cam chain tensioner. I also don't think the crank tool (either OEM or homemade) is essential. It makes it easier, and I would recommend having one, but you certainly can find TDC without.

Many thanks to Snooker's XCountry/Challenge pages:

http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/ValveClearance/index.htm

http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/ValveClearance/RRAdjustValves1.pdf

I tried the zip tie method, but still lost timing. Not to worry! I did not remove timing sprockets from cams like the BMW doc says to do and I would not recommend that. Still, the document is a good reference.
  5. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my XChallenge from a guy who used it on a farm...but It seemed it stood for a long time and wasn't really looked after. I thought seeing as I get it fro a good price I can add a lot of stuff and have it for what a good one goes for but it will have new stuff and things I like. It turned out to be somewhat true but it took a lot longer than I thought it would.

First ride out the stock exhaust fell off in the middle of a road after just joining a highway after a dirt section :D

Ok so a few things done:

New Rims and new spokes..due to massive smiley on the rear. Excel Signature series. I had to go 2.15 at the rear. Thanks to the guys providing info on this. First I ordered new spokes and then saw they had sent the same lenght ones instead of split...I had to re order the other set :)
    I also decided to put some new tyres on.
    K60 Scout Rear and Bridgestone TW31? on the front.

[​IMG]

Installed bark buster handguards

Since the stock one fell off....new exhaust was in order I suppose... Looked everywhere and was going to go for a Leo Vince but "No stock" ..."Dont make them anymore" was the order of the day.
    Eventually I started looking at KTM 690 exhausts since they are also located on the left and early ones where also 650cc.
    Settled on the Wings for a 2009KTM 690. a custom end bit had to be fitted to get the diameters in line.
    I also liked that it came with a few inserts thats very easy to change...thinking it will alow me to tune the XChallenge sound/compression a bit if I need to.
    I also did a bit of heat wrap over the end piece since it felt quite hot on a hot day sitting by a traffic light.
    [​IMG]

Then this happened.
    [​IMG]

Now I had even more reason to get a tail piece done and cure the Floppy Tail Syndrome as well.
    So off with the rear.
    [​IMG]

Lots of amateur sketches and scissor work later
    [​IMG]

I wanted something that was really strong on there and would provide a bit of a beter area for indicators and a rack later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the Air shock started to squeeck...a lot... and i decided to replace it.
    Many quotes and research later I went with a MP Custom Valve Shock from C2P
    [​IMG]
    With this I also went with progressive springs in the front forks and a little bit thicker oil
    This has transformed the bike imho.

The Cam chain tentioner went.... seems it was because the bike stood so long with oil in it.
    Anyway, new oils, Cam chain tensioner from a crashed Dakar, new Spark plugs, cleaned TPS, New Air filter, new anti freeze, New Chain...puring like an angry kitten.

Anyway work progressed with the Tail section....
    Some more customizing and mock ups later we have this. I also added a luggage plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think now a slightly smaller number plate is in order.

Buffed the plastics as well as I could seeing as they have seen better days...but much better than the broken ones that were on there before.
    Added Foldable mirrors and added the extra screen back again (MRA X Screen for Suzuki Vstrom)
    [​IMG]

Really loving this bike now!

ToDO asap: Since I'm only really riding it now.
    Gear lever (Dril holes)

New front brake pad...it squeals but stops well.
    Center stand perhaps

I suppose I also need to get the new Clutch cover done at some point. It feels perfect but I know this will become an issue later.
  6. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    That's great. Have you replaced the stock shift lever? If not, that should be your absolute #1 priority.
    octopusenvy and Traumat1x like this.
  7. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Drilling holes in the stock one till I can find another on to fit. i agree though lookign at the threads here I HAVE to do it ASAP.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  8. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Went for a bit of a ride...was an excellent sunset!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DGR, Yukon Ho!, jdwhite and 2 others like this.
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Traumat1x and keepshoveling like this.
  10. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
  11. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    So a couple of questions I need help with since I am a fairly recent owner.
    1. I see a lot of front fenders being replaced, do they suck that bad? Does the TT beak extension help at all or does it really just need to be replaced?
    2. Does the Carbon Fiber cover for the exhaust, front of muffler down to engine, actually help as compared to the stock one. I would like to prevent from burning myself or my riding pants if possible. http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...ust-heat-shield-big-BMW-G650X-Challenge-Co-Mo
    3. So my ABS light in my dash doesn't work, but the ABS does, would your guess be water intrusion into the dash and has anybody had any luck bringing their dash back to life or is it really an effort to stop more damage?

Thanks,

Bruce
  12. keepshoveling

keepshoveling DNF

Oddometer:
    At least re: 1 for me, it's because the lynx fairing doesn't work well with the stock fender. Acerbis replacements are cheap and have worked quite well for me.

2. I burned a par of pants and then just got used to riding with my legs clenching the tank a touch further forward and it's been fine ever since. Given that the cost of the heat shield (or some wrap) is less than the price of pants I'd probably buy it, but if you can just bear that in mind initially I think you can forego it entirely. At least that's what I tell myself I'd do. In retrospect it'd probably be worth it. Could also just cut down some aluminum and make your own depending on how handy you are.

3. does it turn on at all when you first start the bike and it's testing all the dash lights or is it just always off no matter what?
  13. blaster11

Oddometer:
    1. Got it, I am still using the stock headlight so if the fender works reasonably well I will just stick with it.

2. My wife who got her X-Country a few years ago ruined a nice pair of riding pans and then just recently burned a pretty good spot on her leg.....I was hoping to avoid both those scenarios. :-)

3. The ABS light never comes on even when you first turn the key on or start it.

14. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Where are you located? That sunset pic looks like an island castle offshore...

I have a center stand that I thought I would use, but I'm not and it should be on a bike considering they are fairly rare and usually expensive. Send me a PM if you are interested.

The bike is one that after some definite tinkering can become a great reliable ride for all conditions. Spoil yourself at some stage and get a custom seat :)
  15. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    HAHA @ spoil myself... I agree... the seat will go on the list as well.

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa. So I reckon shipping from New Zealand will be insane most likely. :-/

@blaster11
    You could also wrap the exhaust where you dont want to get burnt. I did mine and while still hot will save a burn for sure.
  16. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I've got an Acerbis front fender from a KTM 85cc MX bike. As the radius is smaller than one of a bigger KTM it bends down lower around the wheel preventing mud being thrown in front of the bike so I stay cleaner.

ABS: Do you have ABS ?
  17. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Yep, You can almost bend it by hand to a degree yet it's still strong enough to shift gears without bending.
    Stromius and Traumat1x like this.
  18. blaster11

Oddometer:
    Yep, and it works pretty well.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    I can't remember if the light comes on at any time. (Well mine is on all the time as the ABS is not working :lol3 )
    I still need to get it off the bike and save a little weight and space.
    blaster11 likes this.
  20. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question that I think I know the answer to but don't have my bike anywhere near me to answer right now.

Where is the fuel vent? Is it under the seat on the flange? I know it's obviously not on the tank cap like other bikes. I am looking to get an adventure-tank and just want to confirm where I will plumb it in. I think that the line will likely go under the seat into the flange so it drains first, but without the bike in front of me I can't recall or see the best way. Here's the tank i'm getting btw. I know it sits on the tail, but I don't like the look or cost of the Xtank and forget the huge TT tank. at $199 this is a good option to plumb in, and only a little more than a rotopax in the same place that you have to stop and refill.
    http://www.advtank.com/collections/...ducts/bmw-f800-gs-auxillary-tank-powdercoated
    Stromius likes this.