BMW G650X Challenge Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GB, Apr 24, 2008.

1. XallengeXccepted

XallengeXccepted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is the yellowish white plastic flange under the seat.
    Len and octopusenvy like this.
  2. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that XallengeXccepted, I found a thread for installing the acerbis tank on f650.com with pics etc. It seems pretty easy to set up actually, so should be very straightforward. Not sure I like the hole drilled thru the white seat cowling, but might b better than it getting squashed under the seat? I may just grab a PVC length of small pipe to cover the hose where it may get compressed under the seat. Simpler and cleaner perhaps. Here's the link in case anyone was curious...the $200 adventure-tank is a much better looking and flatter option than the acerbis (and also comes with a small rack on top of it), but same fuel capacity of 1.6Gallons.

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?12368-Acerbis-Aux-Tank-Install
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    You don't need to drill holes in anything for the hose. You can thread it through the frame on the RHS just like how it runs with an X-tank
    Take of the flange with the breather and turn it round like in the picture. Also take out the little ball and spring that are inside it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    yep that makes sense dutchie, and I like the sneaky long lever placement too ;)

taking out the ball and spring is better because why? faster flow?

that red coil looks interesting...battery charger? diagnostic cable?
  5. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    Taking out the ball and spring will give you better flow and there's one less thing to go wrong.

The coil is my jumper cable. Having to ride back home to get a set once was enough. My wifey and I have an Anderson connector on the bike where the cable simply plugs into. The leads can be taken out of the connector fairly easily so can help people out as well by just pressing the connectors on their battery terminals.

[​IMG]
  6. Lexey63

Lexey63 AlcoDventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    очень хорошо
  8. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Hey team, weird question.
    I noticed the the front brake lines for the G650x series are all different . However, they all share the same reservoir (ABS dependent) and same banjo bolts. Any reason why they wouldn't interoperate/ any reason why one brake line couldn't support a different g650x series brake. i.e. a G650x moto brake on a G650x Country or Challenge? (The brakes are different between the bikes...I think the X-ch and X-Co are the same minus the color. And the X-Moto has some beefy 4 piston caliper.)

Thanks team.
  9. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The XMoto has a bigger front disk.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  10. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Yep! So is there any reason why I couldn't use a x-co brake line on a x-mo brake caliper?
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not sure I could recommend it but...

I have never measured them, but the only concern I could think that would prevent it might be the length.

Other thoughts, the hose type might be different and flex different and giving an unexpected feel but should still work.

I would of course test extensively before going out on the road after using a different one.

Best of luck deciding, and the above is information only not recommendations.
  12. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The brake lines are different from each other but the banjo bolts the connect with are the same.
    The calipers might not be able to fit from one modell to the other though. Possible difference in bolt pattern and the radius to the XCh disk would definitely be different.
    keepshoveling and cgguy09 like this.
  13. cgguy09

Oddometer:
    Yea I've done enough research and I think I'm abandoning this cRaZy idea...But for your amusement, here is why I'm asking all of this.

My cRaZy idea was to have two sets of tires/rims for the g650x, one for the road/daily commuting and one for off-roading. (this way I'm not burning up my TKC 80s every three months nor having to swap out the tires).

Ideally, I'd want to swap to the xmoto rims and just upgrade my bake to the beefer X-Mo brake caliper and run my X-Co rim with larger rotor. That being said, I'm cognizant of that different tire sizes 19-front 17 back for my X-Co hybrid and 17-front 17-back for the X-Mo, so I'd need to adjust my front end.

I still think this would be a good idea...but perhaps I should just stick to my own kind...find a set of old X-Co tires. There was just a set of rims/tires/brakes online...hence why I initially wanted to go that route.

Thanks for your indulgence though.
    Stromius and Dutchgit like this.
  14. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    I have two sets of wheels for the same reason. But both are xchallenge wheels 21/18's. Is the mounting pattern on the rotors the same? That would allow you to run the xmoto wheels for street and not mess with calipers.

It's nice to have two sets of wheels, but I change them far less frequently then I had expected. I keep a set of tkc's on one and proper dirt on the other. It's nice not to wear off the knobs.
    cgguy09 likes this.
  15. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Nice job, I like the color scheme too. Could you show us more on the brake line routing? Does the brake line get squished at full left turn? I have an almost identical setup and haven't been happy with how I've routed the lines yet.

Beautiful bike.
  16. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike! i was hoping for this look, but it was too much work (and potential for error mating the fairings, so i opted for the Highway DirtBikes Set-up.

What seat is that, it does not look stock...
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Looks like a stock low seat in black... I thought it only came in blue or black and gray, maybe just re-covered.
  18. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Look what showed up on Friday! :wings
    [​IMG]

Should make those long days off road a bit less tiring!
    EMIG racing
    Bli55, Dutchgit, octopusenvy and 2 others like this.
  19. PaulyD

PaulyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats one nice looking piece of kit!
    blaster11 likes this.
  20. Len

Len Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will love it the first time you roll into some unexpected sand, it is a great setup!
    When will you have it married up with your spanking new forks?:ricky